The Canyon bikes thread

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
Woody80

Re: How many people have bought Canyons?

Postby Woody80 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 20:47 pm

jacksprogis wrote:Cullen was a cnut to me :/

In what way?
Canyon were good with my warranty claim.

mcnultycop

Postby mcnultycop » Thu Jul 12, 2012 21:05 pm

My Nerve AM 7.0 has arrived today and I've just finished building it up. One of the clips that holds the rear brake hose to the frame is missing and the paint has two minor chips, so I've just e-mailed them, but these aren't massive issues. The bike looks ace and felt great around the street, but I've been no further as yet. I'm away this weekend so I'll hopefully get out on it midweek next week. It's my first full susser so I'll be sussing the suspension out first.

playasyougo

Postby playasyougo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 21:56 pm

mcnultycop wrote:My Nerve AM 7.0 has arrived today and I've just finished building it up. One of the clips that holds the rear brake hose to the frame is missing and the paint has two minor chips, so I've just e-mailed them, but these aren't massive issues. The bike looks ace and felt great around the street, but I've been no further as yet. I'm away this weekend so I'll hopefully get out on it midweek next week. It's my first full susser so I'll be sussing the suspension out first.

Good to hear you have joined the Canyon club. You will enjoy the bike I'm very sure of that. My bike had some very minor marking on it but not bothered about that in the slightest.

I was out on mine today and it's really impressing me. As in i was only taking the dog for a few laps round the local reservoir so no real downhill and it sped along beautifully considering it's an all mountain bike. I have a trip to Glentress planned this Saturday to give it a proper hiding though.
2011 Giant Trance X2 - SOLD
2012 Canyon Strive ES8

Shackster

Postby Shackster » Thu Jul 12, 2012 22:28 pm

mcnultycop wrote:My Nerve AM 7.0 has arrived today and I've just finished building it up. One of the clips that holds the rear brake hose to the frame is missing and the paint has two minor chips, so I've just e-mailed them, but these aren't massive issues. The bike looks ace and felt great around the street, but I've been no further as yet. I'm away this weekend so I'll hopefully get out on it midweek next week. It's my first full susser so I'll be sussing the suspension out first.

Zip ties are better than those clips anyway.
2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
Bianchi Road Bike

chez_m356

Postby chez_m356 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 23:00 pm

tc3nitro wrote:Does anyone have the address of Canyon UK ?

yes :wink:
Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011

erinmills

Postby erinmills » Fri Jul 13, 2012 09:11 am

my friend has an XC 8.0 black. He loves it

Jimx26

Postby Jimx26 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:23 am

My Xc 7.0 arrived monday only bad point is I noticed last night the brakes are the wrong way round :x easy enough fix though.

prowbiker

Postby prowbiker » Sat Jul 14, 2012 13:08 pm

Hi Canyon owners,

About to pull the trigger on a Nerve AM.

Scared about bearing servicing/replacement, having heard they have to go back to Germany because not standard bolts etc.

Is this true - anyone changed out their bearings yet ??

Please advise. Mamba green is calling me !

Cheers
Santa Cruz Heckler 2006

playasyougo

Postby playasyougo » Sat Jul 14, 2012 15:40 pm

prowbiker wrote:Hi Canyon owners,

Scared about bearing servicing/replacement, having heard they have to go back to Germany because not standard bolts etc.

Cheers

I would be very surprised to hear of any type of bolt being specific to Germany. Unless it's a fitting that's specially machined in house you would be able to get any bolt type here in the UK.

This reminds me of when Japanese import cars were becoming popular in the UK and I'm pretty sure Quentin Wilson said on Top Gear that they all had different size bolts not available in the UK.
2012 Canyon Strive ES8

stubs

Postby stubs » Sat Jul 14, 2012 16:50 pm

Sounds rubbish to me. On my Nerve XC its all standard M size metric bolts. Bearings are also industry standard sizes I priced up a kit of bearings on ebay and they were all available from stock. In fact the bearings for the rocker pivot are the exact same size as on my mates Giant swinging arm pivot.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

prowbiker

Postby prowbiker » Sat Jul 14, 2012 17:04 pm

That makes me feel better chaps thanks :-)

I really fancy an AM 7 - and the price has come down even more now !
Santa Cruz Heckler 2006

mattjevans

Postby mattjevans » Sat Jul 14, 2012 17:42 pm

prowbiker wrote:Hi Canyon owners,

Cheers

I have a Nerve AM. great bike, am very pleased with purchase. This sounds like total crap, I would assume the bikes are made in Taiwan like 99.6% of all bikes in the world (they certainly aren't expensive enough given the spec to be German frame-manu'd). It's not like I've stripped mine down totally but every bolt I've come across so far has been a standard metric.

mattjevans

Postby mattjevans » Sat Jul 14, 2012 17:46 pm

Woody80 wrote:I've only just found the torque wrench adapter as well! That's 3 months after I'd put the bike together!!

I never found it... Lucky I used my own torque wrench anyway :D

poppit

Postby poppit » Sat Jul 14, 2012 18:20 pm

mattjevans wrote:
Woody80 wrote:I've only just found the torque wrench adapter as well! That's 3 months after I'd put the bike together!!

I never found it... Lucky I used my own torque wrench anyway :D

It's in the handle.
Eddy Merckx EMX-3
Cougar Zero Uno
Canyon Nerve AM 8.0
Genesis Core 50
Mekk Pista T1

Growmac

Postby Growmac » Mon Jul 16, 2012 14:51 pm

I just heard that my Torque FRX 6 has left the factory 3 weeks early. This is good news, except that it will arrive and then sit in its box for a week while I go on holiday. Fail! Still, happy days and good service!

P.S. For all those giving Cullen stick, my email asking about when it would actually be delivered was answered in about 10 minutes with specific information. He's been that useful all three times I have contacted him in the last year.
1994 Clark Kent F12; 2004 Mount Vision; 2011 Canyon AM 7, 2012 Canyon Torque FRX 6, a unicycle and a Brompton.

NGMTB

Postby NGMTB » Mon Jul 16, 2012 16:32 pm

I have bough two canyon bikes with no dramas, i must admit to always wondering when they are going to increase the staff levels in the canyon uk office.
Canyon Nerve XC 2011

Canyon Ultimate AL Di2

playasyougo

Postby playasyougo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 20:44 pm

My problem has now been solved. I ended up getting a new wheel sent over to me from Canyon directly.

Took longer than expected for the problem to be resolved but at the end of the day Canyon did the right thing so i'm happy.
2012 Canyon Strive ES8

SpeedFræk

Postby SpeedFræk » Thu Jul 26, 2012 09:56 am

I'm going to be buying a Canyon strive if they ever get any back in a S. or wait for the 2013 model. Not sure if they will look better or worse, hoping they will have glacier again!

Sarah

miguel73

Postby miguel73 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:01 am

I got a small Strive ES9.0 in glacier 3 weeks ago........the thing is an absolute beast and i love it! :lol:

Plyphon

Postby Plyphon » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:36 am

Stupid question:

All Canyons come with brakes the "wrong" way round - how easy is it to swap over? Is it something you could do yourself on the day or would it be a LBS trip?

Cheers

Return to “MTB General”