strava, endomondo, from one app

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
deadkenny

Re: strava, endomondo, from one app

Postby deadkenny » Thu May 31, 2012 17:56 pm

The phone is still fairly crap at tracking compared to the Garmin. That's why there are so many inaccuracies and false KOMs on Strava. They were designed for saying where you are and car navigation, not fine detailed sports tracking.

Question though is whether you think it's worth paying hundreds for a Garmin when you have a workable if inaccurate GPS on your phone. I'm not sure I'm serious enough to buy one.

Also a Garmin won't do what the OP wants. It's no phone so can't upload anything at all without plugging it into a PC first and then you'd still have to export the GPX files and import into each web site.

Am thinking an easier app is one that lets you use one of your existing tracking apps, but it can grab the GPX off the app and upload that to a selection of sites. That would be easier but need to find a tracking app that actually stores the GPX on the device. Endomondo and Strava I think send the data to their web sites and only then can you export. Sports Tracker not sure. It could export on old Nokia phones but not sure it stores the file without having to press the export button first.

bails87

Postby bails87 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 09:07 am

Garmin is 'integrated' on Strava and Endomondo. You just plug the garmin into your computer, go on each website, click 'upload from Garmin' and it does it. No need to get the gpx file off the device first.
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

oodboo

Postby oodboo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:05 am

bails87 wrote:Garmin is 'integrated' on Strava and Endomondo. You just plug the garmin into your computer, go on each website, click 'upload from Garmin' and it does it. No need to get the gpx file off the device first.

I don't want a Garmin. It's an extra device to buy, buy maps for, keep charged, not lose, etc.

When you run apps on your phone you just finish the ride and it automatically uploads. No need to switch on a PC, connect device to PC, log on to website, click upload. The garmin might be a good GPS and the upload method might be simple enough but as I'm not too bothered about the accuracy of the GPS and I am bothered about the simplicity of the upload then I just want an app that can upload to more than one site when I click finish.

From the responses there seems to be few people who use more than one tracking app on their phone so it's not just me. I think there's a market for an app like this but I think the major stumbling block would be getting agreement from sites like endomondo and strava, etc to allow you to upload from an app that isn't theirs.
I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava

bails87

Postby bails87 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:28 am

oodboo: Sorry, I'm not suggesting that you buy a Garmin, I was just replying to deadkenny's comment
Also a Garmin won't do what the OP wants. It's no phone so can't upload anything at all without plugging it into a PC first and then you'd still have to export the GPX files and import into each web site

Up until a couple of weeks ago I was running strava and endo at the same time too. I agree it would be useful, but surely it would require cooperation between the makers of competing apps?
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:35 am

oodboo wrote:I'm not too bothered about the accuracy of the GPS

This is something that saddens me about the smartphone obsession these days.
Nobody seems to actually want the "best" anything anymore, they'll make do with a substandard one because they can get one device that does most things merely adequately.
Want a weatherproof, shockproof GPS that will survive anny conditions out in the hills? No, it's ok, I'll have a £400 phone instead which may break in extreme conditions, and may not offer as much accuracy and has terrible battery life. Because it also takes mediocre pictures.

oodboo

Postby oodboo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:44 am

YeehaaMcgee wrote:Want a weatherproof, shockproof GPS that will survive anny conditions out in the hills? No, it's ok, I'll have a £400 phone instead which may break in extreme conditions, and may not offer as much accuracy and has terrible battery life. Because it also takes mediocre pictures.

Yup :D

It's enough for what I do. I track my rides to work and when I can get out on my bike for fun then it's usually just for a couple of hours round a trail centre or the local woods. When the kids are older and more self sufficient then I might be able to get out of long rides in the wilderness but for the foreseable future I'm quite happy just carrying my phone. It does enough, it does it well enough and the battery lasts long enough. My current SE Xperia X10 has survived offs and getting soaked in my pocket but I'm due an upgrade so I think I'll be getting something that's either designed as rugged or getting a protective case for it.

YeehaaMcgee wrote:Nobody seems to actually want the "best" anything anymore

If that was the case then I wouldn't have spent so much on my bike :wink:
I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava

wobbem

Postby wobbem » Fri Jun 01, 2012 17:34 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:
oodboo wrote:I'm not too bothered about the accuracy of the GPS

This is something that saddens me about the smartphone obsession these days.
Nobody seems to actually want the "best" anything anymore, they'll make do with a substandard one because they can get one device that does most things merely adequately.
Want a weatherproof, shockproof GPS that will survive anny conditions out in the hills? No, it's ok, I'll have a £400 phone instead which may break in extreme conditions, and may not offer as much accuracy and has terrible battery life. Because it also takes mediocre pictures.

Yes but hopefully the big guys will see our desires and the future ( which moves rather rapidly with these things) will bring smart phones with,
HR glasses interface so I don't have to look at some dumb tiny screen for map reading ... or movies or text etc
Gps that can track you when you deviate off a line to take a whizz (the police will love this)
Hd camera... put the lens on the glasses as well
Basically a smart phone which works through glasses, all totally water, impact, and space proof.
I give it 5 years, much likely less before this becomes a reality , its already started.
Don't think, BE:

deadkenny

Postby deadkenny » Fri Jun 01, 2012 18:05 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:Want a weatherproof, shockproof GPS that will survive anny conditions out in the hills? No, it's ok, I'll have a £400 phone instead which may break in extreme conditions, and may not offer as much accuracy and has terrible battery life. Because it also takes mediocre pictures.

Accuracy sucks, but the Galaxy S2 is one rugged little beast even though it looks fragile and would cope with being rained on (certainly copes with mud, have tested that). Pictures are also pretty good for a phone (and has actual focus unlike the trend now for EDoF cameras, *cough* Nokia!) and shoots HD video. No match for a good compact or SLR sure, but it's miles better than a lot of phones.

But yeah, GPS... bit poor in my experience. It's not intended for bikes . Though there's a hack for the GPS chip that involves rooting the phone to turn off the low speed filter. Not tried it. And then the battery does suck too. Blame people who want super thin phones.

hard-rider

Postby hard-rider » Mon Jun 04, 2012 06:27 am

I don't know if Strava and Endomondo have the facility to allow tracks to be imported via e-mail like some other services do but if so, then Oruxmaps allows you to send your gpx tracklogs from within the app via e-mail to multiple recipients simultaneously.

But yeah, GPS... bit poor in my experience. It's not intended for bikes . Though there's a hack for the GPS chip that involves rooting the phone to turn off the low speed filter. Not tried it. And then the battery does suck too. Blame people who want super thin phones.

Whilst I use a phone, Galaxy S2, for my track logging, I use an external BT GPS receiver which is much more accurate and also doesn't chew the phones battery so I can go for a whole day without worries of running out of juice on the phone.
Pyga OneTen29

deadkenny

Postby deadkenny » Mon Jun 04, 2012 07:46 am

hard-rider wrote:I don't know if Strava and Endomondo have the facility to allow tracks to be imported via e-mail like some other services do but if so, then Oruxmaps allows you to send your gpx tracklogs from within the app via e-mail to multiple recipients simultaneously.

You can email your GPX files to Strava to import, and can bulk import them that way. That's an idea. Need to be able to set the subject as think it identified the account based on that.

Yeah, I tried that but turns out the chip in my old BT GPS is the same as the one in the S2. Again there's a way of turning off the low speed filter but yet to work out how to do it and think it resets every time you switch it off. However the antenna in it is better and it's more accurate when in motion, better altitude data. Just when slow or stopped that it can be a problem.

Also struggling to get the S2 to use the thing. Tried a few BT GPS apps but not all apps will see the GPS. Was never a problem with my old Nokia.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Mon Jun 04, 2012 08:11 am

Ah,the old Nokia phones. Widely derided for not being an iPhone, or running android, but thoroughly capable in many many ways.

deadkenny

Postby deadkenny » Mon Jun 04, 2012 08:29 am

Hence why I use my old Nokia for GPS at the moment. More reliable aside from dodgy altitude figures which can be fixed, and the battery lasts half a week if not longer! And it makes much better phone calls. I know that's an odd concept, using a phone to actually call someone.

hard-rider

Postby hard-rider » Mon Jun 04, 2012 08:42 am

deadkenny wrote:Also struggling to get the S2 to use the thing. Tried a few BT GPS apps but not all apps will see the GPS. Was never a problem with my old Nokia.

I use bluegps4droid. It's opensource but not available in the market. You can get it from sourceforge.net/p/bluegps4droid/home/Home/). It seemed to work quite well for me when I used apps that couldn't access external BT GPS' directly. For Oruxmaps it's not necessary as that can use external BT GPS' from within the app.

I agree the old Nokias set the standard. It's a shame they lost their way.
Pyga OneTen29

felix.london

Postby felix.london » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:01 pm

Quite happy to run the two apps side by side (on one phone). I use Endomondo to track my ride from my door to get my actual km's, altitude gains etc and have started using Strava to track actual routes, trails, loops, circuits etc that I can share with friends

(don't know why but they're not interested in routes that start & finish on my drive :wink: )
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

felix.london

Postby felix.london » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:09 pm

hard-rider wrote:
I agree the old Nokias set the standard. It's a shame they lost their way.

+1 to that. Was a Nokia user/fan-boy from 1995 (Orange 5.1) to 2009 (E71)
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

sigorman85

Postby sigorman85 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 17:59 pm

try map my ride its basicly the app what you want as you can compare times and upload routes and loads of other things prob one of the best fittness aps out also map my run and map my walk would recomend this !!!!!
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa idol Disc di2 2015

jehosophat

Postby jehosophat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 15:15 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:This is something that saddens me about the smartphone obsession these days.

So true. They are just a fashion statement, and seem an epic waste of money, often for people that can least afford it.

Because smartphones are technically mainly "one offs" in terms of hardware and much of the software, with nothing like the standardisation of platforms of, say, the PC industry, they are rubbish value compared to laptops and netbooks. They are also buggy as hell, become seriously outdated in no time at all, have appalling battery life, break easily, etc etc. I worked in the mobile industry after working in the IT industry and was pretty shocked at how "one off" most phones are, and how they are rushed to market before they are really ready. Operator subsidies shield us in this country from the true sim-free price of phones, they cost a hell of a lot of money for what you are actually getting.

If work wants to give me a smartphone, that is fine. When buying phones for myself I buy small Nokias with good voice quality cheaply on Ebay, and for Endomondo purposes a Blackberry Pearl for decent GPS, battery life, and bluetooth/car kit performance. It is cheap as chips, weighs nothing, and bounces well. If I smash it to peices or get it soaked I won't be shedding a tear. I don't want a phone that costs £400 and weighs so much it looks like I have a brick in my pocket...

All my nieces and nephews have iPhones despite only one of them having any sort of income at all - they regularly break them, it seems the end of their lives if one is nicked or broken, they are just a fashion accessory - very little of the huge range of functionality is actually used, they just text/call people, take the odd rubbish quality photo, and play the odd game.

Shylock

Postby Shylock » Sun Jun 10, 2012 20:57 pm

Wow this has quickly turned into a iPhone bashing!

Posted from my iPhone

Northwind

Postby Northwind » Sun Jun 10, 2012 21:01 pm

I got a smartphone because I liked it, and because it means carrying less crap around. It's a good-enough camera, an excellent music player, it occasionally surfs the web, it can tell me where I am, and consistently beat me at chess. Also it does telephoning. Garmin no doubt better at the one thing it does, but ****-all use at chess.

Endomondo/Strava on a smartphone isn't for people who desperately want accurate GPS... It's for people who have a phone and think they might as well use Endomondo because it cost £2. Not the same market at all.

Anyway... A Stravamondo app would be good, back to the OP. I like Endomondo as a tracker and I've been using it for a while, don't want to lose my logs but Strava does some nice things too.
Uncompromising extremist

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Sun Jun 10, 2012 22:32 pm

Shylock wrote:Wow this has quickly turned into a iPhone bashing!

Posted from my iPhone

See, only an apple zealot would see it that way - It appears that a few of us were berating ALL modern smartphones.

Return to “MTB General”