War on Britain's Roads

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
Angry Bird

Re: War on Britain's Roads

Postby Angry Bird » Thu Dec 06, 2012 21:46 pm

Jolly Swagman wrote:That cyclist/lawyer that went down under the windmilling driver should be embarrassed. I would have thrown the memory card away in shame if I was him.

How much balance would you have had stood there with a bike between your legs then? Not like he could just ask the bloke to wait a moment while he stepped off :roll:

Jolly Swagman

Postby Jolly Swagman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 22:00 pm

Angry Bird wrote:
Jolly Swagman wrote:That cyclist/lawyer that went down under the windmilling driver should be embarrassed. I would have thrown the memory card away in shame if I was him.

How much balance would you have had stood there with a bike between your legs then? Not like he could just ask the bloke to wait a moment while he stepped off :roll:

Tons. It came from a mile off. They had enough time to switch the camera on as they knew something was amiss with the car. Time enough to unclip and at least attempt to defend himself.

Briggo

Postby Briggo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 23:03 pm

Jolly Swagman wrote:
Angry Bird wrote:

Tons. It came from a mile off. They had enough time to switch the camera on as they knew something was amiss with the car. Time enough to unclip and at least attempt to defend himself.

I bet you would have ninja'd him in the face, ripped it off and shat down his neck.

Jolly Swagman

Postby Jolly Swagman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 23:07 pm

Briggo wrote:
Jolly Swagman wrote:
Angry Bird wrote:

I bet you would have ninja'd him in the face, ripped it off and shat down his neck.

I would have given him a very frosty stare I can tell you ! :lol:

Stu Coops

Postby Stu Coops » Fri Dec 07, 2012 08:42 am

I'd have beat the shite out of his fists with my face no messing. :lol:
Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:59 pm

Jolly Swagman wrote:Tons. It came from a mile off. They had enough time to switch the camera on as they knew something was amiss with the car. Time enough to unclip and at least attempt to defend himself.

The Camera was running before the car even stopped you donut.....

shigllgetcha

Postby shigllgetcha » Fri Dec 07, 2012 13:24 pm

The Beginner wrote:
Jolly Swagman wrote:Tons. It came from a mile off. They had enough time to switch the camera on as they knew something was amiss with the car. Time enough to unclip and at least attempt to defend himself.

The guy with the camera said he turned the camera on when the car slowed down.

The part where the cycle droid guy was on the road and two vans passed him on either side and one had a trailer and he confronted the one with the trailer. Should he have been cycling down the white line in the middle of the road in like that in the first place?
Last edited by shigllgetcha on Fri Dec 07, 2012 13:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chez_m356

Postby chez_m356 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 13:26 pm

Briggo wrote:I bet you would have ninja'd him in the face, ripped it off and shat down his neck.

hell yeah :lol:
Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011

Jolly Swagman

Postby Jolly Swagman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 13:55 pm

The Beginner wrote:

English obviously isn't your first language. Cormac, 44, "by this stage I decided it would be a good idea to turn on my helmet camera". Dry your eyes, wind your neck in, and get mummy to show you how to use iplayer before she puts you to bed and get to about 35'38" (that's 35 minutes 38 seconds). Night night.

Ghostt

Postby Ghostt » Fri Dec 07, 2012 14:26 pm

It was an interesting watch, but obviously was edited in such a way to cause controversy with the speccy guy and the vigilante, and that cab driver who was a kn*b and flatly denied any wrong doing whilst they showed him doing it wrong.

I think the problem lies on both sides. Drivers, imo, aren't educated enough on how to deal with cyclists, and I imagine very few realise quite how massive the consequences of their actions could be. I've experienced cars passing close enough to touch many times. All it would take is a momentary lack of concentration from either me or the driver and I'm under his wheels. I find it very strange how differently drivers react with horses and cyclists. Whenever I see horses on the road, people always slow right down, and crawl past leaving plenty of space, yet don't offer cyclists the same luxury even though they're more vulnerable...

Not that cyclists are any better. Those couriers deserve everything that comes to them riding that way. Perhaps that's why they all ride fixies and no helmets, so if they do crash they won't be able to slow down and it'll be a swift ending. They're does seem to be an unfortunate element of being 'holier than thou' with a lot of cyclists, which only pi*ses off more drivers
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Fri Dec 07, 2012 14:27 pm

There are a lot more cyclists on the roads than horses though. Especially around London.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

Ghostt

Postby Ghostt » Fri Dec 07, 2012 15:33 pm

cooldad wrote:There are a lot more cyclists on the roads than horses though. Especially around London.

So if anything, drivers should be even more aware of how to drive around them then!
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot

fritzz11

Postby fritzz11 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 16:32 pm

Don't you think cyclists are a bit hypocritical though? Demanding 3 or 4 feet of room when being overtaken and yet squeeze down gaps 4 ins wide to get past slow/stationary cars and lorries. If you squeeze down the side of a lorry then be prepared to squashed because the driver won't know your there!
2011 Cube Fritzz http://sdrv.ms/Z8xkDa
2012 Zesty 714 http://sdrv.ms/YgJV4u

balmybaldwin

Postby balmybaldwin » Fri Dec 07, 2012 17:14 pm

shigllgetcha wrote:
The part where the cycle droid guy was on the road and two vans passed him on either side and one had a trailer and he confronted the one with the trailer. Should he have been cycling down the white line in the middle of the road in like that in the first place?

Well, the left lane went straight on and the right lane turned right, he wanted to turn right, so got in the lane that allowed that - what else is he supposed to do. The Van that passed him on the left wasn't the real offender - his lane was clear. the guy with the trailer made a very unsafe manover

It doesn't excuse him (droid idiot) being a confrontational moron though.
Bikes:
Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
Pinarello FP2 - Roadie

allthegearnoidea

Postby allthegearnoidea » Sat Dec 08, 2012 09:27 am

traffic droid was a bit OTT with the repeated attempts on the trailer guy, but on the whole his idea of shaming people for using mobiles ipads etc whilst in gthe car is a good one,

there was an element of pure vigilanty filming though, purposely antaganising some that all be it Were Badly driven but a waving of a hand would have done!

what did minorly annoy me though was the Lack of any momentum the police had when given footage that was obviously worthy of a charge of description, at the least, driving with out due care and attention,

the scottish guy with the fuel wagon was bloody lucky though, the waay it came past him i doubt it would have stopped if it had pulled him under!!!
Timmo.
After all, I am Cornish!
http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481

Batmo

Postby Batmo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:48 am

Ghostt wrote:I find it very strange how differently drivers react with horses and cyclists. Whenever I see horses on the road, people always slow right down, and crawl past leaving plenty of space, yet don't offer cyclists the same luxury even though they're more vulnerable...

Unfortunately I suspect many drivers think a horse could do some real damage to their car and also assume that if the rider is rich enough to own a horse, they're rich enough to have a good solicitor.
Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
HP Velotechnik Spirit
Brompton M6
Specialized Camber Comp

milko9000

Postby milko9000 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:56 am

Also everyone knows that a horse is liable to get spooked by the car and just leg it in a random direction at any given moment. Cyclists don't usually do that. I think the fact it's got a non-human animal involved is the only reason drivers generally slow down and give them room.

chez_m356

Postby chez_m356 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 13:29 pm

Batmo wrote:
Ghostt wrote:I find it very strange how differently drivers react with horses and cyclists. Whenever I see horses on the road, people always slow right down, and crawl past leaving plenty of space, yet don't offer cyclists the same luxury even though they're more vulnerable...

Unfortunately I suspect many drivers think a horse could do some real damage to their car and also assume that if the rider is rich enough to own a horse, they're rich enough to have a good solicitor.

Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011

Cat With No Tail

Postby Cat With No Tail » Sat Dec 08, 2012 23:10 pm

Looks to me like a fair few cyclists I've seen around town ;)

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Sat Dec 08, 2012 23:39 pm

That wouldn't have happened if the horse had been wearing a seatbelt. Safety first kids.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

Return to “MTB General”