Energy tablets,drinks,bars and gels ect ect

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
bluechair84

Re: Energy tablets,drinks,bars and gels ect ect

Postby bluechair84 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 13:32 pm

Isotonic aren't energy suppliments though are they? Aren't they just minerals? They should work if you are requiring a lot of fluids. I got horrendous cramp on a 22 mile epic in Borrowness last weekend, I needed some minerals in my water for sure! I ususaly drop a pinch of salt and tablespoon of honey per liter of water in my sack. I like to think it works... but who knows. COuld just be a placeabo.

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Mon Dec 17, 2012 21:51 pm

cyd190468 wrote:
cooldad wrote:My favourite word is now censored, so balderdash.

So every nutritionist working for every pro tour team is entirely wrong when it comes to efficient carbo loading. BTW I am a biology teacher so I'm fairly familiar with the workings of the human metabolism. You may want to pay for gatorade but I prefer to just read the ingredients on the side and make my own. It is just isotonic saline with sugar and flavours added afterall.

There is a slight difference between a pro rider planning their training, and someone riding to work. You don't plan your commute around carbo loading.
Seriously.
And I've never even seen Gatorade, let alone paid for it.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

ibbo68

Postby ibbo68 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 22:06 pm

2x Sausages
2x bacon
2x eggs
Mushrooms
Beans
Fried bread and/or toast
Coffee
And Roberts' your Fathers' Brother :mrgreen:

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Mon Dec 17, 2012 22:12 pm

That's more like it. Screw carbo loading the night before.
I don't do smileys.

Parktools

Northwind

Postby Northwind » Mon Dec 17, 2012 22:15 pm

"Carbo loading the night before for a commute" is also known as "Having your tea".

The solution to this thread appears to be to just get on with eating food and riding bikes.
Uncompromising extremist

mcnultycop

Postby mcnultycop » Mon Dec 17, 2012 23:44 pm

Northwind wrote:"Carbo loading the night before for a commute" is also known as "Having your tea".

The solution to this thread appears to be to just get on with eating food and riding bikes.

This.

njee20

Postby njee20 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 23:49 pm

So every nutritionist working for every pro tour team is entirely wrong when it comes to efficient carbo loading.

Yes, because its a well known fact that every pro tour rider skips breakfast, because its purely to help that evening and rides 100% on what they ate last night. :roll:

Your ongoing condescension and insinuation that you know everything when you come across as misinformed and stupid is getting very tedious.

To the op, there really isn't any more to it, don't skip dinner and eat breakfast. Energy drinks won't really make any difference. I've rarely even take a bottle on my shorter commute (22 miles each way) these days, use one in summer, but not in winter. Bowl of muesli before I leave and is fine.

njee20

Postby njee20 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 09:41 am

Let me help you then: Con-de-scend-ing.

Did you read your link?

That’s because they need the calories but competing after a big meal is not conducive to good performance, said Grant

Because riders are normally hungry again right before the race start, they eat snacks like bars, cakes, and sandwiches that have been prepared in packs half an hour before the race start.

How pointless, they're fuelled on their pasta from 18 hours ago surely?

You're right that you can't wolf down pasta and expect the energy to be there that very second, but in this instance both dinner and breakfast are significant.

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:23 am

“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
I don't do smileys.

Parktools

njee20

Postby njee20 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:13 pm

Well yes, but I couldn't really let it slide that an article that does nothing to reinforce the point was being used!

querhoch

Postby querhoch » Tue Dec 18, 2012 13:28 pm

Im going to email the tour de france and tell them to stop wasting time with feeding stations along the route. a big bowl of spaghetti the night before is all those guys need.or maybe they could race til lunchtime, have a break for a meal then start again a couple of hours later? Those crazy professionals have been doing it wrong for decades now. Im sure they'll be grateful now that we've fixed it for them.

Northwind

Postby Northwind » Tue Dec 18, 2012 13:33 pm

I am interested to learn more about how the tour de france is relevant to my commute.
Uncompromising extremist

querhoch

Postby querhoch » Tue Dec 18, 2012 13:40 pm

well, it works like this. If you're a roadie then ALL RIDEZ ARE SEERUS TRAYNING!! and you have to treat even the shortest commute as though it was a competition and keep a detailed diary of average speed, calories burned, how smooth your newly waxed legs felt against your lycra and how many other riders you passed heroically.

njee20

Postby njee20 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 13:53 pm

With Strava and that ones commute is now more competitive than the Tour de France.

I have about 40 segments to do, compared to their meagre 21 stages. I employ a full time nutritionist, who thankfully knows what he's talking about, have a following car with a selection of wheels too, 20mm climbing wheels for the 100 foot Col du Morden, then the 80mm deeps come out for the Central London sprints.

If traffic's light I may even break out the TT bike.

Relevance of TdF to ones commute!? Pah! You need to sort yourself out.

**may not be 100% serious**

larkim

Postby larkim » Tue Dec 18, 2012 16:08 pm

A friend of mine used an energy gel once, described it as being like cold, sweet semen in your mouth. I wanted to know how he knew that....

I'm no endurance biker, but I regularly run 8-10 miles, so runs in excess of 1 hour (and in excess of what you might normally consider as a daily commute on a bike). You don't need, and won't use, any food supplements or nutrition that you take either at the start of one of those runs or during the run itself. You might get a nice sugar rush to the brain which helps you to fight the urge to stop and rest, but it won't make it into being usable energy in your legs.

TdF riders are taking on energy constantly throughout a day on the basis that, say, if they eat a high energy bar at 10am they'll be using that energy at 12noon, and if they didn't they'd have run out of energy stores way before the end of the riding day. But what they aren't doing is eating something at 11am and using it at 11.15am.

If you want your ride to work to burn off any fat, the current thinking is that doing the ride without taking on any food before hand will start to use your fat reserves and teach your body how to burn that stuff. Then have a healthy breakfast when you arrive at work, perhaps a little more than you would have had if you'd driven, and you'll fuel up for the day.

Matt
MTB 2013 Decathlon Rockrider Big RR 5.3 (mine!)
MTB 2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son's)
MTB 2014 Decathlon Rockrider 520 (wife's)
MTB (now retired) 2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son's)
Road 2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine!)

njee20

Postby njee20 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 16:29 pm

Actually most gels (many of which are perfectly palatable) will have an effect within that time, however it's not long enough to have exhausted your glycogen supplies, so it's supplemented an adequate energy supply.

You're right about riding without breakfast though, preferably having had a low carb meal the night before. Caffeine helps too, so a caffeinated electrolyte tablet doesn't go a miss. Done it a few times, it's pretty miserable frankly, and you have to be reasonably in touch with your own body to not run into trouble, but it's a way to do it.

Schmako

Postby Schmako » Tue Dec 18, 2012 20:17 pm

Lucozade Sport and Mars Bar's do the job!

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Tue Dec 18, 2012 21:43 pm

cyd190468 wrote::D :D

Moronic drop off the page smiley fail.
I don't do smileys.

Parktools

njee20

Postby njee20 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:59 am

Good contribution. You're now going to say "aaaah, I was only kidding, lolz, you all fell for my stupidity".

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 13:18 pm

He's not Yeehaa...

Return to “MTB General”