Rain Rain Rain

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
User avatar
The Rookie
Posts: 23049
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 09:29 am

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Postby The Rookie » Fri Dec 28, 2012 21:26 pm

MTFU and ride.....

Sure you need to pick your trails carefully, my local woods which are really great when dryish and currently unrideable in many places as the muter (mud and water mixed) is upto 6" deep, also takes almost as long to clean the bike as it does to ride it!

User avatar
YeehaaMcgee
Posts: 5955
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 13:30 pm

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Fri Dec 28, 2012 22:02 pm

DanDax1990 wrote:It can be more fun... Less people out on the trails for a starter

VWsurfbum wrote:I reverted to cycling to work :shock:

I don't usually mind some rain, but it's been such absolutely shocking weather for so long this year, that I really couldn't be arsed any more. When it rains all the bloody time, right through the winter that never happened, right through spring, right through the summer that never happened, right through... well, you get the idea, it just becomes disheartening.
I ended up riding to work almost every day, but gave up on that about a month ago when there were several flooded sections of road with hub-depth water. The car seemed a more sensible choice.

Bloody crap year all round.
As for the trails? I tried walking alone one area where I used to ride a couple of weeks ago. Unless I had a hovercraft, then it was impassable.

gezebo
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 21:56 pm

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Postby gezebo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 22:51 pm

Really guys, its not that bad... Just get out there!

User avatar
YeehaaMcgee
Posts: 5955
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 13:30 pm

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Fri Dec 28, 2012 22:56 pm

gezebo wrote:Really guys, its not that bad... Just get out there!

Yes, it is. There's been villages turned into rivers, several friends have had to leave their homes because they're underwater, there's been landslides, the sewer water bought to the surface has spread diseases, roads have been washed from hillsides.
It's about as bad as wet weather can possibly get.

User avatar
cooldad
Posts: 28171
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 22:01 pm

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Postby cooldad » Fri Dec 28, 2012 23:04 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:
gezebo wrote:Really guys, its not that bad... Just get out there!

Yes, it is. There's been villages turned into rivers, several friends have had to leave their homes because they're underwater, there's been landslides, the sewer water bought to the surface has spread diseases, roads have been washed from hillsides.
It's about as bad as wet weather can possibly get.

Maybe those Mayans......
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

gezebo
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 21:56 pm

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Postby gezebo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 23:14 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:Yes, it is. There's been villages turned into rivers, several friends have had to leave their homes because they're underwater, there's been landslides, the sewer water bought to the surface has spread diseases, roads have been washed from hillsides.


Our village is cut off due to to a landslide and was badly affected by floods and all the trauma that goes with losing homes, livelyhoods etc... I also see some truly horrific sights through work... but life goes on, it has too and in honesty it's not that bad out there, ok the last few weeks have been challenging but the spring, summer and last winter were not that bad at all.

Penmachno was great a couple of days ago, CYB brilliant today, The DH at Blaenau is going as well as other local stuff. I know there is lots going on further afield too. So just make the most of it as there are people out there that would love to but will never get the chance.

User avatar
YeehaaMcgee
Posts: 5955
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 13:30 pm

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Fri Dec 28, 2012 23:24 pm

gezebo wrote:make the most of it as there are people out there that would love to but will never get the chance.

What kind of hippy sh*t is that?
I've racked up thousands of miles on the bike this year, but I've had enough rain. The vast, vast majority of my rides have been wet.
Pretty sure the DH at Blaenau is closed, since there's storm force winds outside.

gezebo
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 21:56 pm

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Postby gezebo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 23:32 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:What kind of hippy sh*t is that?
I've racked up thousands of miles on the bike this year, but I've had enough rain. The vast, vast majority of my rides have been wet.
Pretty sure the DH at Blaenau is closed, since there's storm force winds outside.


We'll its the sort of 'hippy sh*t' that means you should be grateful for what you have because there are people far, far worse off than you can probably ever imagine.

DH was most certainly open today.

User avatar
bennett_346
Posts: 5072
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 09:47 am

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Postby bennett_346 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 23:35 pm

gezebo wrote:
YeehaaMcgee wrote:What kind of hippy sh*t is that?
I've racked up thousands of miles on the bike this year, but I've had enough rain. The vast, vast majority of my rides have been wet.
Pretty sure the DH at Blaenau is closed, since there's storm force winds outside.


We'll its the sort of 'hippy sh*t' that means you should be grateful for what you have because there are people far, far worse off than you can probably ever imagine.

DH was most certainly open today.

Am i supposed to force feed myself marmite because some people in the world don't have access to it?

User avatar
cooldad
Posts: 28171
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 22:01 pm

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Postby cooldad » Fri Dec 28, 2012 23:37 pm

gezebo wrote:We'll its the sort of 'hippy sh*t' that means you should be grateful for what you have because there are people far, far worse off than you can probably ever imagine.

That's why I save up all my leftovers and post them to poor people in poor countries. Cornflakes can be a bit of a bugger though, envelope gets all soggy.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

User avatar
YeehaaMcgee
Posts: 5955
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 13:30 pm

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Fri Dec 28, 2012 23:40 pm

gezebo wrote:
YeehaaMcgee wrote:What kind of hippy sh*t is that?
I've racked up thousands of miles on the bike this year, but I've had enough rain. The vast, vast majority of my rides have been wet.
Pretty sure the DH at Blaenau is closed, since there's storm force winds outside.


We'll its the sort of 'hippy sh*t' that means you should be grateful for what you have because there are people far, far worse off than you can probably ever imagine.

DH was most certainly open today.

What the hell has got your knickers in a twist? Did you catch your husband sleeping with Santa? Or Rudolph?
Are you seriously, in all honesty saying, that since there are people in, I dunno, third world countries, that I should just go, "it's just a bit of rain, on top of all the rest of the rain"?
No, I've had enough.

Kudos to AS for opening today though, I went for a walk along the coast earlier, I had to lean into the wind, and struggled to keep balance. Maybe they don't have as much wind inland or something.

vfast1
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 21:21 pm

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Postby vfast1 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 23:47 pm

gezebo wrote:
YeehaaMcgee wrote:What kind of hippy sh*t is that?
I've racked up thousands of miles on the bike this year, but I've had enough rain. The vast, vast majority of my rides have been wet.
Pretty sure the DH at Blaenau is closed, since there's storm force winds outside.


We'll its the sort of 'hippy sh*t' that means you should be grateful for what you have because there are people far, far worse off than you can probably ever imagine.


What bollox! Everyone has access to a bike ! Dont they? DONT THEY?
Winter Road - 2014 Boardman Sport
MTB - 2012 Canyon Nerve XC 7
Summer Road - 2012 Cannondale Supersix 105 Liquigas Colours

gezebo
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 21:56 pm

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Postby gezebo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 23:53 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:
gezebo wrote:

What the hell has got your knickers in a twist? Did you catch your husband sleeping with Santa? Or Rudolph?
Are you seriously, in all honesty saying, that since there are people in, I dunno, third world countries, that I should just go, "it's just a bit of rain, on top of all the rest of the rain"?
No, I've had enough.

Kudos to AS for opening today though, I went for a walk along the coast earlier, I had to lean into the wind, and struggled to keep balance. Maybe they don't have as much wind inland or something.


It wasn't that windy earlier. AS has been open regularly of the past months.

Since it was you who brought up the subject of floods and friends who had been affected I would have thought you'd have had a better understanding of people who have faced adversity such as victims of child rape, being taken into care, dealing with children who's parents have been murdered etc... Oh well I'll keep on dealing with these people in my 'hippy sh*t' world and you can keep moaning about a bit of wind and rain.

User avatar
YeehaaMcgee
Posts: 5955
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 13:30 pm

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Sat Dec 29, 2012 00:07 am

gezebo wrote:people who have faced adversity such as victims of child rape, being taken into care, dealing with children who's parents have been murdered etc...

What on hell's earth has that got to do with being fed up of riding my bike in miserable weather?

I bought up the floods in response to some idiot who, in response to my moaning about the weather, said this...
gezebo wrote:Really guys, its not that bad... Just get out there!


It's been the wettest year on record. Wet enough to cause incredible damage and suffering. So, yeah. I'm fed up of rain. It had been that bad this year. Epic is a fitting adjective for it, really.

And I'm still not entirely sure what your point is. Are you suggesting that I shouldn't be bothered about the rain, since at least I haven't been raped, taken to care, and had my parents murdered?

To recap. We had a mild, wet winter. Followed by a mild, wet spring (although we did have almost a week of nice weather), followed by a mild, wet summer, followed by a mild, wet autumn, and now we're in a mild, wet winter again.
Keep putting children in care, that ain't going to fix the weather. Neither is murdering my parents. You'd be better off doing a sunshine dance.

gezebo
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 21:56 pm

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Postby gezebo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 00:19 am

YeehaaMcgee wrote: Even more trolling rubbish


Great, you keep moaning about the nasty rain on internet forums and I'll enjoying mountain biking out in the real world.

User avatar
YeehaaMcgee
Posts: 5955
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 13:30 pm

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Sat Dec 29, 2012 00:30 am

That's fine. You don't have to agree with me - hell all i was doing was giving my opinion on this topic - but quit using the dippy hippy "think of the children" crap to... Well, to do whatever the hell it is you were trying to do.

By the way, just because i showed you what a t!t you were being, doesn't make it trolling.
Although, jumping down someone's throat and bringing child abuse into the matter because they don't like rain, could be construed as trolling. Or maybe just good old fashioned dumbfukkery.

User avatar
Mojo_666
Posts: 840
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 15:05 pm

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Postby Mojo_666 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 05:49 am

I rode lots in the rain last year but this year I swapped employer so now work a little later, the rain is off putting after a longer day so I haven't done a sinlge night ride since last winter.

I don't think anyone minds getting wet living in the UK as it's part of riding i guess but everyday? nah no thanks, and yeah some places are bordering on dangerous as the rain brings, floods, high winds, falling trees, land slips.........also not good in the dark..also really not good if you plan to ride solo.

User avatar
Blue&White Rider
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 16:31 pm

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Postby Blue&White Rider » Sat Dec 29, 2012 07:10 am

Trying to get the motivation to go out this morning. Fortunately I can't hear any rain yet, so that helps. I know it's due though. Bah. Can't wait til some dry weather now, this is ridonkulous.

User avatar
TLW1
Posts: 12236
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 06:40 am
Contact:

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Postby TLW1 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 08:33 am

its ferkin massive rain in Shropshire today, but I will get out for a ride today - for the sake of the children :)

User avatar
bennett_346
Posts: 5072
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 09:47 am

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Postby bennett_346 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 09:01 am

I'm supposed to be riding today, haven't in weeks so i feel i should just do it regardless of the heavy rain :(


Return to “MTB General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Orangeogre and 2 guests