The art of cheap

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
godzeus

The art of cheap

Postby godzeus » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:45 pm

I got to admit the "Interview: SRAM's Chris Hilton" article about the XX1 got me a whole lot of frustrated. I understand the need for highly expensive parts so a stock broker can feel like a MTB superstar once a year but with that and £89.99 bike lights i kind of feel left out. I know that more then half of you use low to mid-high lvl parts on your bikes and that we always try to find a best deal on them. I personally like to check out http://www.dealextreme.com once a month. I figure once a year they will put up a chain, derailleur or maybe even a cassette for a crazy low price.
So my question is; do u use sites like this or similar ones? is there a stigma associated with sites like dx.com? will u look for a good deal year round or will u wait for the part to brake and then go buy the replacement at the first store u find?

The Rookie

Re: The art of cheap

Postby The Rookie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:54 pm

If it works, it works, a certain proportion of people will turn their noses up, real MTBers don't tend to!

I have a sub 11Kg Carrera, mind you as it's resprayed not many people know what it is until/unless I tell them (when I could tell them almost anything!), and most the parts were bought used anyway.....

bluechair84

Postby bluechair84 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 13:32 pm

godzeus wrote:is there a stigma associated with sites like dx.com?

I think in asking the question, you create one.

Bartimaeus

Postby Bartimaeus » Mon Jan 07, 2013 13:41 pm

A quick read through the What Lights discussion threads (e.g the current one ... er, OK, at 84 pages not necessarily a 'quick' read) shows that people are very happy to buy lights from Dealextreme and other cheap online outlets.

EH_Rob

Postby EH_Rob » Mon Jan 07, 2013 13:53 pm

The answer would be no, there is no stigma associated with DX or sites like it.

My question is, what does this have to do with XX1? Just that it's expensive? So are lots of things.

godzeus

Postby godzeus » Mon Jan 07, 2013 14:09 pm

EH_Rob wrote:My question is, what does this have to do with XX1?

I see little articles on this site on cheap stuff worth buying. And when u find one it's a yearly round up of crap. That's another thing i wanted to address here but figured it was pointless mid way trough writing it. So that's where i was going with the XX1 thing. Sorry.

bluechair84 wrote:
godzeus wrote:is there a stigma associated with sites like dx.com?

I think in asking the question, you create one.

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Mon Jan 07, 2013 14:28 pm

godzeus wrote:...I see little articles on this site on cheap stuff worth buying. And when u find one it's a yearly round up of crap...

Pardon?
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

godzeus

Postby godzeus » Mon Jan 07, 2013 14:31 pm

Yup. Exactly y i gave up mid way :D

edit: Hell, I give up. No staying on topic now. :?

paulneenan76

Postby paulneenan76 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 16:52 pm

If I understand the points you're trying to make........

1. Sh*t be expensive - Most new technology, when its bleading/leading edge, is expensive. Take BluRay or Flat screens. However, it trickles down, it becomes mainstream, and either becomes almost consumable cheap or the cheaper specc'd stuff gets better tech trickled down to it - shimano braking for instance. XX1 looks great, but regardless of how good it is, I'll wait for it to become mainstream/trickle down to x7 x9 and therefore cheaper.

2. Are people snobby or embarassed by where they shop - I find it hard to believe that anyone would find something like DX, who produce good lights at reasonable prices low rent. Or not buy set of new XT brakes from ROSE Bikes and pay more from Evans or whatever, as it doesn't carry the right Kudos. I like the best deal, the best value and the best service. I ride with guys who have £100's worth of Exxposure lights. I got my XML T6 job from a UK guy who buys in from China, tests, then sells to people like me for £30. Two of these are more than I need for trail riding at night and they were amazed by the lumen output. Yes they are not as robust, don't have USB charging, but at £30 they are a consumable. I get good no quibble service too. If someone is snobby about this, then I don't Wana ride with them as they are likely to look down there nose at my bike from the seat of the carbon Spicy they can't ride as fast ;D

Or am I talking ballbags!!
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

Cat With No Tail

Postby Cat With No Tail » Mon Jan 07, 2013 17:09 pm

cooldad wrote:
godzeus wrote:...I see little articles on this site on cheap stuff worth buying. And when u find one it's a yearly round up of crap...

Pardon?

Quite.

OP - Dafuq you talking about?

Myster101

Postby Myster101 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 23:34 pm

I would use any site and would go off reviews from others who have actually used the components etc rather than go for something because of the name. My bikes mainly made up of second hand parts anyway :D

In fact most people you meet wouldn't have a clue how good, or bad, the gear you have is (unless you meet somebody off here :D ).

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
Ribble 7005 Sportive

ilovedirt

Postby ilovedirt » Mon Jan 07, 2013 23:38 pm

I'm always looking around, I'll buy wherever I find stuff cheapest. I tend to mostly buy stuff new, and I rarely pay full price.
Saracen Ariel 151

B'Twin Triban 5

Cat With No Tail

Postby Cat With No Tail » Tue Jan 08, 2013 00:24 am

ilovedirt wrote:I'm always looking around, I'll buy wherever I find stuff cheapest. I tend to mostly buy stuff new, and I rarely pay full price.

This. Most of the time you can get something brand new for just a fraction more than you'd pay 2nd hand.

That is of course, unless you're patient enough to wait around for bargains to come up places like the classifieds on here, which I most certainly am not :lol:

shigllgetcha

Postby shigllgetcha » Tue Jan 08, 2013 09:44 am

I think every hobby has a habit of promoting the cutting edge and more expensive side of things more even if the majority of people are happy with the mid or lower range.

Think top gear magizine or such, they might have a lambo on the front, doesnt mean everyone reading it will buy one

mrmonkfinger

Postby mrmonkfinger » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:09 am

1 what's more interesting, articles on the latest stuff, or articles on the cheapest stuff?
2 if you're happy buying second hand, or when deals/bargains crop up, then MTB parts can be quite cheap... ballocks to "stigma". Neither of my bikes are brand new full price, both are built from second hand / end-of-line / etc.

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 16:00 pm

Cat With No Tail wrote:That is of course, unless you're patient enough to wait around for bargains to come up places like the classifieds on here, which I most certainly am not :lol:

Whereas I am...

Best recent buy were some Recon XC's (Short travel Revelations in effect, alloy stanchions) for my daughters bike, £72 delivered, whereas I just sold some well used Tora's (described and photo'd accurately) on ebay for £64 delivered......it's all in the wording and ending time!

Return to “MTB General”