Tubeless grief!

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
jairaj

Re: Tubeless grief!

Postby jairaj » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:08 am

If you have faff about so much I'd rather just stick a tube in. And yes I use and love tubeless tyres. but if I can't get a tyre inflated with anything more than a bit of furious pumping then its simply not worth it.

bikeleasingco

Postby bikeleasingco » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:06 am

I've had this problem myself. Lot's of arm pumping with no result - yep - lots of potential for spurious jokes there! I've left the door open for you :)

If you're using tubeless specific rims I believe that there is a small double ridge running along the inside of the rim, either side of the valve. If you're not - then good luck to you! I've attached a picture that illustrates it.

Presuminig you're using a Tubeless specific rim, basically, prep the tyre with sealant, squish the rim bead so that it sits fairly well on these ridges, give it a whirl to get the sealant around it and then pump like fury.

Evntually, you get that reassuring bang and the bead sits on the rim a treat. Keep pumping to the desired pressure.

njee20

Postby njee20 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:26 am

If you're using tubeless specific rims I believe that there is a small double ridge running along the inside of the rim, either side of the valve. If you're not - then good luck to you! I've attached a picture that illustrates it.

DT don't do UST rims, nor do they actually do 'tubeless ready' rims in a Stan's way - they've added that moniker to jump on the band wagon really! You can convert them, but IMO neither Mavic nor DT work as well as Stan's when converted, as you've found they're usually just too loose.

Personally I find Stan's better than UST as well, but YMMV.

bikeleasingco

Postby bikeleasingco » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:04 pm

Hi njee20,

Here's a few from DT: http://www.dtswiss.com/Wheels

Look at the close up of the XM1550 tricon and I think that you'll see the ridge I'm talking about - albeit more like a smooth sided valley on the DT Swiss rims.

mrmonkfinger

Postby mrmonkfinger » Mon Jan 28, 2013 13:03 pm

jairaj wrote:If you have faff about so much I'd rather just stick a tube in. And yes I use and love tubeless tyres. but if I can't get a tyre inflated with anything more than a bit of furious pumping then its simply not worth it.

You're welcome to stick with your furious pumping.

I will stick with my effortless coke bottle compressor.

allthegearnoidea

Postby allthegearnoidea » Mon Jan 28, 2013 13:06 pm

mrmonkfinger wrote:.

I will stick with my effortless coke bottle compressor.

This!
Timmo.
After all, I am Cornish!
http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481

hopper1

Postby hopper1 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 18:56 pm

Shelled out on a compressor... 5 minutes after setting it up, the tyre was inflated, and the front tyre was changed out, too.
Still think I may jump on the offer presently touted by Superstar, for another Crest/ Trizoid wheel build.
Much more confidence inspiring :wink:

Just love that compressor, though :D
Need to sort out a specific fitting for inflating Presta valves, though...
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

BrindleScoops

Postby BrindleScoops » Mon Jan 28, 2013 21:35 pm

Don't use Co2 as it sends the sealant off much quicker than air, also use some of the sealant as lubricant to seat the tyre on the rims, otherwise, you can contaminate the seal and with soap and hinder its life / performance, plus it will seal the rim almost instantly. Finally add some glitter to the solution in the tyre to help plug the bigger holes.

Inflation....

Get the tyre on the rim, lube all around the edges and slowly spin the tyre by hand round the wheel to get a good coverage of lubricant solution. finally, hold the wheel in one hand so the bottom isn't squashed by the floor and pump like mad on your track pump with the other, as soon as you get to 5-10psi, you will get a good enough seal and then the rest will pop on as you hit around 40psi.

I can change a tubeless tyre in the same time I can change a tubes tyre now with a track pump, just takes a bit of practise.

Simples.
My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.

DodgeT

Postby DodgeT » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:06 am

BrindleScoops wrote: Finally add some glitter to the solution in the tyre to help plug the bigger holes.

Sure its not so that you make an impressive glittery splurge all over the trail when you burp :D

allthegearnoidea

Postby allthegearnoidea » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:26 am

Ah! But the glitters been shown not to actually work that well, Tumble dryer fluff has been Much better!!! - seriously!!
I made my own goo as stans whilst good was pricey in comparison, £20 for a litre, I made 3l for a tenner!
Timmo.

After all, I am Cornish!

lostboysaint

Postby lostboysaint » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:28 am

Hmmm, I've got XR Mud and the original Mud X on two sets of Mavic EN521 converted and they've both blown up no problem at all, both on the initial go (no latex) and then the "proper" inflation (with sealant). Kind of suggests that it's a rim problem or that you're just not getting the air in quick enough to get the seal.
Trail fun - Transition Bandit
Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur
Allround - Cotic Solaris

BrindleScoops

Postby BrindleScoops » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:39 am

DodgeT wrote:
BrindleScoops wrote: Finally add some glitter to the solution in the tyre to help plug the bigger holes.

Sure its not so that you make an impressive glittery splurge all over the trail when you burp :D

Possibly :oops: i prefer Red Glitter btw!
My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.

njee20

Postby njee20 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:39 am

Look at the close up of the XM1550 tricon and I think that you'll see the ridge I'm talking about - albeit more like a smooth sided valley on the DT Swiss rims.

Oh yeah, forgot they do factory wheels. :oops:

Depends on the tyres you're using though, if you're not using a tyre with a tubeless bead a 'proper' tubeless rim like that can be a hinderance. Not relevant here admittedly.

hopper1

Postby hopper1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:50 pm

allthegearnoidea wrote:Ah! But the glitters been shown not to actually work that well, Tumble dryer fluff has been Much better!!! - seriously!!
I made my own goo as stans whilst good was pricey in comparison, £20 for a litre, I made 3l for a tenner!

I do that, too :shock: but that's a totally different post (!), probably best kept for other forum's, too... :twisted:
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Northwind

Postby Northwind » Thu Jan 31, 2013 13:41 pm

70\'sPenguin wrote:Pop a tube in and inflate until the beads are set into the rim. Deflate and carefully remove the tube leaving one bead seated. Try again.

I know this one's been sorted, but just in case anyone else reads it- this is the best advice in the thread, for 2 reasons. One is that obviously if it works, you're inflating half a tyre instead of two. But the other is that you find out exactly how hard it is to get the tyre onto the rim. Some combos just don't work well. If it takes huge psi to get it to pop onto the bead with a tube, then you're going to struggle with tubeless.

Some pumps are better than others... my Joe Blow is a nice bit of kit but it doesn't actually push much air. My Air Towers are cheap rubbish but the piston is far bigger, which makes things much easier with tubeless.

I think I'd be less keen on tubeless if I didn't have a decent compressor! And don't confuse the tesco tyre inflators for a compressor, they're very low pressure, worse than a track pump.
Uncompromising extremist

allthegearnoidea

Postby allthegearnoidea » Thu Jan 31, 2013 14:12 pm

The DIY compressor coke bottle does Exactly the same as a compressor just costs you 2 valves, a bit of rubber pipe and how ever much it is for a 2L fizzy drink! Its so simple, fit tyre, remove valve core, connect piipe to valve, kink it, pump up bottle to 60psi unkink valve and Bingo, seated tyre, pop tube off, sealant in through the valve, core in, pump up and job done!
Timmo.

After all, I am Cornish!

mrmonkfinger

Postby mrmonkfinger » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:17 pm

allthegearnoidea wrote:The DIY compressor coke bottle does Exactly the same as a compressor just costs you 2 valves, a bit of rubber pipe and how ever much it is for a 2L fizzy drink! Its so simple, fit tyre, remove valve core, connect piipe to valve, kink it, pump up bottle to 60psi unkink valve and Bingo, seated tyre, pop tube off, sealant in through the valve, core in, pump up and job done!

Yup. Even the most stubborn tyre can be persuaded on quite quickly with one of these widgets.

Return to “MTB General”