Ashton & Trail Ettiquette

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
Roastie

Ashton & Trail Ettiquette

Postby Roastie » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:03 pm

So, yesterday I had a lovely blast around the trails at Ashton court - the first time I've ridden there in ages.

Apart from one idiot who held me up while, I can only assume, trying to show me how well he could handle the technical bits, every single rider I came across politely and promptly let me by with a minimum of bother. Was I just lucky or have things improved at Ashton?

Chunkers1980

Re: Ashton & Trail Ettiquette

Postby Chunkers1980 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:23 pm

You're so fast.

chez_m356

Postby chez_m356 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:40 pm

impressive, were you riding this too ? :D
Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Sun Feb 03, 2013 13:02 pm

Perhaps he just missed your aura of magnificence.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

compo

Postby compo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 14:17 pm

Surely good ettiquette isnot to badger this chap and let him ride at his own pace. just drop bacl and wait if you want space to go faster.

Roastie

Postby Roastie » Sun Feb 03, 2013 20:55 pm

LOL guys.

Not so fast at all, in pretty poor shape. When the properly fast XC riders catch up with me, I try to get out of their way proto. That way everybody is happy.

p.s. I sometimes take my cross bike there, but not this time - seemed more sensible to be on my Kona Kula.

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Sun Feb 03, 2013 21:29 pm

I don't think you get it.
I don't do smileys.

Parktools

Roastie

Postby Roastie » Sun Feb 03, 2013 21:45 pm

Probably not it would seem.

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 21:46 pm

To be fair it does annoy me when slow people won't pull over. Some people are just inconsiderate.

The Northern Monkey

Postby The Northern Monkey » Sun Feb 03, 2013 22:21 pm

It depends on the bit of trail though. If it was fairly open, with lots of suitable places to pass and pedally, then maybe.
But if it was a fun descent and the chap was going as fast as he could at his skill level, then I would say back off.

I caught up with a guy on the final descent at Cwmcarn today. Its relatively fast and steep and stopping can really lose your focus. Took me less than 10 seconds to figure out that he was either a) not a regular on the trail or B) a noob.
So I backed off and followed him down at a reasonable distance.

At the bottom he apologised and said what for... had a quick chat (found out he'd picked up MBT'ing after xmas) and off I went.

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Sun Feb 03, 2013 22:26 pm

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If there's space, fine, then you will find a place to overtake, but otherwise tough sh1t. Or ask nicely and see what can be arranged. But sit on my back wheel and I'll go out of my way to make sure you won'y get past.
I hate Audi drivers.
I don't do smileys.

Parktools

Northwind

Postby Northwind » Sun Feb 03, 2013 23:33 pm

You know what you can do if you're stuck behind someone? You can stop, and make a gap.
Uncompromising extremist

Stu Coops

Postby Stu Coops » Mon Feb 04, 2013 08:51 am

The Northern Monkey wrote:It depends on the bit of trail though. If it was fairly open, with lots of suitable places to pass and pedally, then maybe.
But if it was a fun descent and the chap was going as fast as he could at his skill level, then I would say back off.

I caught up with a guy on the final descent at Cwmcarn today. Its relatively fast and steep and stopping can really lose your focus. Took me less than 10 seconds to figure out that he was either a) not a regular on the trail or B) a noob.
So I backed off and followed him down at a reasonable distance.

At the bottom he apologised and said what for... had a quick chat (found out he'd picked up MBT'ing after xmas) and off I went.

This is exactly how it should be
Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB

Roastie

Postby Roastie » Mon Feb 04, 2013 09:29 am

Perhaps I do have something to learn about trail etiquette then (although the incident described in the OP was just idiocy - the dude chose to get in my way.

That said, wilfully holding up other riders does seem unnecessarily bloody minded to me. While I don't advocate bully tactics of some, it really does not seem unreasonable for quicker riders to expect that slower riders will make some room to let them by when appropriate. The trail is there for all of us to enjoy, so we should share. Expecting faster riders to stop and wait for a gap is simply not reasonable. I'm not the fastest rider out there, but I find I'd need to do a lot of waiting for that to work!

Anyhow, I suspect we are debating a very minor issue. As in my original post, the vast majority of trail users are considerate to one another, it is just a small minority of stubborn trail hogs who seem intent on holding others up.

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Mon Feb 04, 2013 09:48 am

Roastie wrote:Perhaps I do have something to learn about trail etiquette then (although the incident described in the OP was just idiocy - the dude chose to get in my way.

it is just a small minority of stubborn trail hogs who seem intent on holding others up.

As we have gone full circle.
cooldad wrote:Perhaps he just missed your aura of magnificence.
I don't do smileys.

Parktools

DodgeT

Postby DodgeT » Mon Feb 04, 2013 09:55 am

I regularly get held up around the lanes in cheshire due to groups of lycra clad types on strange narrow tyred bikes riding 3, 4 abreast.
Never felt the need to go over to the road section and start a thread to whinge about it.

RockmonkeySC

Postby RockmonkeySC » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:59 am

Most of the Ashton Court trails are narrow single track with no room for passing but all in short trail sections. You can't expect people to stom and move out of your way in the middle of a section, just wait patiently at a polite distance behind (not right on their back wheel).
Did you ask this person if you could pass at the next suitable spot? Or did you just sit there on their back wheel saying nothing?

jimothy78

Postby jimothy78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:02 pm

As one of the slower riders, I'd always much rather get out of the way to let someone past, and will always pull over to allow this as soon as I reach a sensible place to do so. However, I've found that when traveling quickly I don't always hear people coming up behind me, so please don't assume that someone is deliberately or even knowingly holding you up.

Give a polite call to let them know you're there and then be patient while they find somewhere they feel comfortable to let you past.

Roastie

Postby Roastie » Mon Feb 04, 2013 13:24 pm

Just to clarify, my original post was not a whinge, but a comment that, apart from one person, the vast majority seemed to be far more considerate than I'd remembered.

FWIW:
Rockmonkey: The dude saw me coming up behind him, at the time a lot quicker than he was going. As soon as he saw me, he accelerated to make it impossible for me to pass him where there was room. Had he kept his pace, I could have passed him with no issue at all. This was annoying. But he is just one dude, and I have no idea what was going through his mind. And the "incident" was so inconsequential it really isn't worth talking about.

What really matters, as I said before, is that the vast majority of riders were the complete opposite, very considerate indeed. This was a pleasant surprise compared to my previous experiences.

I always try to be polite - annouce that I'd like to pass when it is OK and always say thanks. I don't get aggro with other dudes, and I've never had aggro back.

But I'm a little surprised by the anti-roadie prejudice on this forum. It makes me sad.

RockmonkeySC

Postby RockmonkeySC » Mon Feb 04, 2013 13:45 pm

Roastie wrote:But I'm a little surprised by the anti-roadie prejudice on this forum. It makes me sad.

Lycra makes me sad

Return to “MTB General”