Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
Northwind
Posts: 15194
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 18:53 pm

Re: Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Postby Northwind » Tue Feb 05, 2013 14:03 pm

If you're concerned, you could invest in a charging bag like model racers use. Though that won't help if the charger goes on fire, as they occasionally do with the very low quality ones.

What's interesting about it to me is that the fairly random nature of the products means that just because one blew up it doesn't mean another one isn't perfectly safe- if it was a consistent product it'd cast doubt on them all but I've had 3 lights like that and they all had different battery packs, different chargers, etc. Which isn't helpful at all tbh but variety is the spice of life :mrgreen:
Uncompromising extremist

User avatar
cooldad
Posts: 28177
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 22:01 pm

Re: Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Postby cooldad » Tue Feb 05, 2013 17:04 pm

I stick to decent chargers - Xtar are good and pretty cheap, and batteries from local guys like Torchy.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

turbo1191
Posts: 291
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 19:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Postby turbo1191 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 17:54 pm

I just received a kit the same as this but ordered through amazon. All the contents are the same and checked the charger and it seems to be a 1amp.. haven't used either yet but thanks for the heads up. Will be charging it somewhere out of harms way..

p44cmb
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 16:14 pm

Re: Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Postby p44cmb » Wed Feb 13, 2013 16:57 pm

I have this exact light and so far have not had any explosive issues such as yours. I've been using it since around October and charge it probably twice a week. I'm going to keep a closer eye on it from now on.

User avatar
sellisnba
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 20:56 pm

Re: Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Postby sellisnba » Sun Feb 17, 2013 16:20 pm

Slightly off topic here, I have one of the Cree t6 lights but the 'o' ring handlebar mount is crap!
Does anybody know where I can get a sturdy mount or how to make one?
I hope mine doesn't explode, it came from a uk seller with a uk charger as well.
Ta

User avatar
Greer_
Posts: 1651
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 15:31 pm

Re: Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Postby Greer_ » Sun Feb 17, 2013 20:33 pm

sellisnba wrote:Slightly off topic here, I have one of the Cree t6 lights but the 'o' ring handlebar mount is crap!
Does anybody know where I can get a sturdy mount or how to make one?
I hope mine doesn't explode, it came from a uk seller with a uk charger as well.
Ta


http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23533

Manc33
Posts: 2042
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 15:03 pm

Re: Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Postby Manc33 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 23:15 pm

There's also this holding bracket, probably not built like the Hope one but this is a straight fit I think (a review said the Hope one needs a bit of plastic sawing off and you need a longer screw). UK seller with 99.9% feedback.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swivel-mount- ... 43c28d0040

The charger I got with my cheap Cree kit...

Model: HDWY-0841000
(its a US 2 pin one with a UK travel adapter)

Output: 8.4v @ 1000mA. So if that can only put out 1000mA does that mean 1amp and it is safe? :roll: Don't know one thing about electric. :oops:

I wanna know what OP's charger says it outputs. :?
FOR SALE: Tinfoil hat (never used).

User avatar
homers double
Posts: 11128
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 14:16 pm

Re: Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Postby homers double » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:46 am

I think this thread justifies my Lumicyle lamps and an exposure head torch.

Yes they cost a tidy sum but then again they don't explode in the house.
Advocate of disc brakes.

User avatar
CitizenLee
Posts: 1658
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:54 pm

Re: Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Postby CitizenLee » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:18 pm

homers double wrote:I think this thread justifies my Lumicyle lamps and an exposure head torch.

Yes they cost a tidy sum but then again they don't explode in the house.


I was thinking the same about my MagicShine MJ-880s... they weren't cheap but I have peace of mind that I can put them on charge and not worry about them going bang!

I do love a bargain but I've had enough dodgy Chinese electronics over the years to know when it's better to spend a little extra.

I'll probably get grief from all the people who do have perfectly working lights from HK, but if that's the case I'm happy for you :)
2012 NukeProof Mega FR
2015 Genesis Croix de Fer 10

User avatar
Ouija
Posts: 1396
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 20:41 pm

Re: Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Postby Ouija » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:42 pm

It's got nothing to do with the chargers, it's the lithium ion batteries that have a capacity to explode. Any Li-Ion battery can do it, irrespective of make, model or type (though some manufacturers go to greater lengths to prevent it than others). That's why they opted out of using them in the new Airbus (or was it the Boeing one, i forget). The Li-Ion batteries in your laptops can explode and so can the ones in your uber expensive torches, I-Pads, I-Phones etc unless steps are taken to prevent it.

User avatar
homers double
Posts: 11128
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 14:16 pm

Re: Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Postby homers double » Thu Dec 05, 2013 14:26 pm

Well yeah, but I would expect the likes of Apple to go to those lengths. Thats why I don't buy cheap shoot and live a care free life.
Advocate of disc brakes.

User avatar
CitizenLee
Posts: 1658
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:54 pm

Re: Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Postby CitizenLee » Thu Dec 05, 2013 14:45 pm

Ouija wrote:It's got nothing to do with the chargers, it's the lithium ion batteries that have a capacity to explode. Any Li-Ion battery can do it, irrespective of make, model or type (though some manufacturers go to greater lengths to prevent it than others). That's why they opted out of using them in the new Airbus (or was it the Boeing one, i forget). The Li-Ion batteries in your laptops can explode and so can the ones in your uber expensive torches, I-Pads, I-Phones etc unless steps are taken to prevent it.


I see your point Ouija, but I think if you buy from a reputable brand then the chances are at least lessened.

Also, surely a crappy charger can supply too much current or cause overheating, even if charging decent batteries?

homers double wrote:Well yeah, but I would expect the likes of Apple to go to those lengths. Thats why I don't buy cheap shoot and live a care free life.


Apple are just good at marketing overpriced crap to idiots who fall for said marketing. There's nothing actually special about their products, certainly nothing a rival product can’t do better and usually cheaper.

Their batteries explode too...

See here and more here
2012 NukeProof Mega FR
2015 Genesis Croix de Fer 10

User avatar
Ouija
Posts: 1396
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 20:41 pm

Re: Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Postby Ouija » Thu Dec 05, 2013 17:16 pm

Apples are made in China. But it wouldn't really matter where they are made, Lithium Ion is inherently unstable. Even if you feed it the correct voltage at a moderate ampage a lot of lithium Ion batteries that have been mistakenly overdrained can start a chemical reaction that emits heat and then explode.

I suspect a lot of the explosions aren't caused by overcharging as most chargers for Lithium Ion batteries have overcharge prevention circuitry (even the cheap Chinese stuff). It's probably caused by batteries that have been drained or left for a long time without being charged (allowing them to drain) and then most people attempting to charge them. When they don't charge in their usual time frame they figure they'll just go away and leave it a bit longer and they'll eventually charge, failing to notice the usual warning sign that the batteries are warm to the touch....... boom. Most of the cheap Chinese chargers can tell when the batteries are near to full capacity but can’t tell when a battery is failing to take any charge whatsoever so just keep pumping juice into them getting them warm enough to trigger a runaway chemical reaction who's bi product is heat.

User avatar
bennett_346
Posts: 5072
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 09:47 am

Re: Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Postby bennett_346 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 18:23 pm

Ouija wrote:Apples are made in China. But it wouldn't really matter where they are made, Lithium Ion is inherently unstable. Even if you feed it the correct voltage at a moderate ampage a lot of lithium Ion batteries that have been mistakenly overdrained can start a chemical reaction that emits heat and then explode.

I suspect a lot of the explosions aren't caused by overcharging as most chargers for Lithium Ion batteries have overcharge prevention circuitry (even the cheap Chinese stuff). It's probably caused by batteries that have been drained or left for a long time without being charged (allowing them to drain) and then most people attempting to charge them. When they don't charge in their usual time frame they figure they'll just go away and leave it a bit longer and they'll eventually charge, failing to notice the usual warning sign that the batteries are warm to the touch....... boom. Most of the cheap Chinese chargers can tell when the batteries are near to full capacity but can’t tell when a battery is failing to take any charge whatsoever so just keep pumping juice into them getting them warm enough to trigger a runaway chemical reaction who's bi product is heat.

I fully drained two 18650 cells two weeks ago, are they safe to charge?

User avatar
HebdenBiker
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 18:05 pm

Re: Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Postby HebdenBiker » Thu Dec 05, 2013 19:42 pm

I have the same battery pack. Mine didn't explode but I drained them (in an experiment to find out how long they'd last) and now they won't charge properly.

I'm going to buy four new protected 18650 batteries and fit them to the battery pack.

Can any sparkies or physicists out there reassure me that this will lead to a more reliable (and less dangerous) setup?

User avatar
Ouija
Posts: 1396
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 20:41 pm

Re: Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Postby Ouija » Fri Dec 06, 2013 01:47 am

bennett_346 wrote:I fully drained two 18650 cells two weeks ago, are they safe to charge?


Depends if they have protection circuits on them. If yes, the circuit probably cut in to stop you draining them completely and it's safe. If not then you can charge them but it's a good idea to keep an eye on them and keep checking to see if they are getting overly warm to the touch. A fully drained Li-Ion battery can get stuck and refuse to start charging (causing the overheating and occasional explosion mentioned above) but you can sometime kickstart such a battery back into life by charging for a while, turning the charger off, charging for a while etc until the battery appears to be charging (test the battery in something like a torch).

User avatar
J L
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:48 pm

Re: Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Postby J L » Fri Dec 06, 2013 08:34 am

chick0 glad you didn't come of too badly, do you have smoke alarms fitted in your house?

One of the most common cause of house fires in the uk is battery chargers / battery's failing and exploding, like mobile phone chargers etc, that's the main reasons you should never charge your mobile at night next to your bed at while you sleep (I know a lot of you do)....

The most common is arson........
I'm not old I'm Retro

User avatar
bennett_346
Posts: 5072
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 09:47 am

Re: Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Postby bennett_346 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:12 am

J L wrote:chick0 glad you didn't come of too badly, do you have smoke alarms fitted in your house?

One of the most common cause of house fires in the uk is battery chargers / battery's failing and exploding, like mobile phone chargers etc, that's the main reasons you should never charge your mobile at night next to your bed at while you sleep (I know a lot of you do)....

The most common is arson........


I leave mine charging by the bed. Oops. Didn't know that. That's a frightening statistic regarding arson though, i regard that as one of the worst violent crimes there is since a) it can kill and b) it destroys your property.

Ouija wrote:
bennett_346 wrote:I fully drained two 18650 cells two weeks ago, are they safe to charge?


Depends if they have protection circuits on them. If yes, the circuit probably cut in to stop you draining them completely and it's safe. If not then you can charge them but it's a good idea to keep an eye on them and keep checking to see if they are getting overly warm to the touch. A fully drained Li-Ion battery can get stuck and refuse to start charging (causing the overheating and occasional explosion mentioned above) but you can sometime kickstart such a battery back into life by charging for a while, turning the charger off, charging for a while etc until the battery appears to be charging (test the battery in something like a torch).


I'll give it a go supervised, i have no idea if they're protected. There was no mention of it in the listing so i'd assume not. Best way to do this safely may be in the basement as it's all bare concrete and there isn't as high a risk if it goes pear shaped, but i'll keep an eye on them as they go.

User avatar
Mojo_666
Posts: 840
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 15:05 pm

Re: Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Postby Mojo_666 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 16:27 pm

This is why i got rid of all my cheap china specials and got decent lights.

User avatar
Ouija
Posts: 1396
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 20:41 pm

Re: Exploding Battery pack - CREE XM-LT6 LED Bicycle Light

Postby Ouija » Fri Dec 06, 2013 17:44 pm

Mojo_666 wrote:This is why i got rid of all my cheap china specials and got decent lights.


Which probably run off Li-Ion batteries also........


It's a bit like saying the gasoline in your expensive Ferrari is less explosive than the gasoline in some other persons Mini simply beacause it's in a better machine. Makes no difference what you've got it in.... gasoline is gasoline and lithium ion is lithium ion. Unless you change it's fundamental property gasoline will always have the capacity to explode and lithium ion will always react badly to overdraining/overcharging.
Last edited by Ouija on Fri Dec 06, 2013 19:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Return to “MTB General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: muttley_109 and 6 guests