How to get rides in with toddler in tow?

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
allthegearnoidea

Re: How to get rides in with toddler in tow?

Postby allthegearnoidea » Mon Feb 18, 2013 19:31 pm

I tell you what though, a trailer with littlun in riding up hills is Damn good Hill training!! When there old enough for a tag along you don't half notice when they Stop pedaling!!
Timmo.
After all, I am Cornish!
http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481

cloudynights

Postby cloudynights » Tue Feb 19, 2013 19:15 pm

cooldad wrote:If you are even contemplating technical rides with a toddler you need your head examined.

i agree cooldad and would take it further, dont go out with a 22month baby in tow no matter how your gonna carry it, never did with my kids, and your asking for trouble
anthem x with many upgrades

YIMan

Postby YIMan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 18:18 pm

cloudynights wrote:
cooldad wrote:If you are even contemplating technical rides with a toddler you need your head examined.

i agree cooldad and would take it further, dont go out with a 22month baby in tow no matter how your gonna carry it, never did with my kids, and your asking for trouble

What would be your reasoning for a "blanket ban", out of interest?

natrix

Postby natrix » Thu Feb 21, 2013 13:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x-Wh8Os ... r_embedded

Here's a video of riding singletrack with a trailer so you can see what sort of thing is feasible

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Thu Feb 21, 2013 15:39 pm

Not advisable
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

Myster101

Postby Myster101 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 23:16 pm

cloudynights wrote:

Why?

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
Ribble 7005 Sportive

cloudynights

Postby cloudynights » Fri Feb 22, 2013 20:15 pm

YIMan wrote:
cloudynights wrote:

what happens if you fall? its not like going for a walk
anthem x with many upgrades

Levi_501

Postby Levi_501 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 00:27 am

They are well strapped in and the trailers have integral roll cages.

There is a thread on another forum, where the trailer with the guys daughter came off and rolled at circa (IIRC) something like 30mph.

She was fine, unhurt but furious!

chez_m356

Postby chez_m356 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 00:39 am

Levi_501 wrote:They are well strapped in and the trailers have integral roll cages.

There is a thread on another forum, where the trailer with the guys daughter came off and rolled at circa (IIRC) something like 30mph.

She was fine, unhurt but furious!

so you can guarantee that will be the case every time ?
Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011

TrailGuru

Postby TrailGuru » Sat Feb 23, 2013 09:19 am

I've had some success with the seat which clamps on the top tube (IE in front of you rather than behind). Its extremely difficult to pedal uphill for any length of time because it obstructs your knees but when descending its a blast and the bike feels a lot more balanced than it would with a rear carrier. If I ride well under my usual speed the risks are minimal.

The little one was stoked after the we rode the downhill track at Fort William :wink:
www.trailguru.co.uk - The ultimate guide to mountain biking in Wales

YIMan

Postby YIMan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:08 am

cloudynights wrote:
YIMan wrote:
cloudynights wrote:

what happens if you fall? its not like going for a walk

What are the chances of me falling, on a bridle way or forest road, with a trailer attached to the bike? And if I did, what would happen is I would get up and back onto the bike.

chez_m356

Postby chez_m356 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:37 am

YIMan wrote:What are the chances of me falling, on a bridle way or forest road, with a trailer attached to the bike? And if I did, what would happen is I would get up and back onto the bike.

the same as the chances of you not falling off, and all this talk of i, i, i, what about the kid ? shows where your priorities lie, sounds like the kid would be better off at home

YIMan

Postby YIMan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:35 pm

chez_m356 wrote:
YIMan wrote:What are the chances of me falling, on a bridle way or forest road, with a trailer attached to the bike? And if I did, what would happen is I would get up and back onto the bike.

the same as the chances of you not falling off, and all this talk of i, i, i, what about the kid ? shows where your priorities lie, sounds like the kid would be better off at home

There's a 50% chance of me falling off? Codswallop, to put it politely. Do you advocate me going out walking with my son in a backpack? I might fall over!

chez_m356

Postby chez_m356 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 14:36 pm

YIMan wrote:
chez_m356 wrote:

There's a 50% chance of me falling off? Codswallop, to put it politely. Do you advocate me going out walking with my son in a backpack? I might fall over!

wow, thats the best idea you've had, infact you could even ride your bike that way, obviously there is no chance of you falling off, so what could be safer :wink:

YIMan

Postby YIMan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 14:59 pm

If you'd actually read my first post you wouldn't have wasted that one. If you haven't got anything constructive or at least logical to add, then move on.

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Sat Feb 23, 2013 17:09 pm

Getting a bit off track - nothing wrong with a pootle along fire roads, gentle singletrack etc, but in your initial post you were talking about techical riding, which in my book is something that requires a certain level of skill, and a probability of stacking it if you get it wrong.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

YIMan

Postby YIMan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 21:09 pm

And we clarified what I meant by technical in about post 3, so referring back to post 1 is pointless.

Return to “MTB General”