Your right to ride on the road is in jeopardy

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
Drfabulous0

Postby Drfabulous0 » Fri May 11, 2007 16:16 pm

True, but the point is that we have had the right to cycle on roads since the bicycle was introduced to Britain in the 19th century. The attitude in this country seems to be that roads are purely there for car users and cyclists do not have the right to be there which is in fact the wrong way round. Also it is considered by many that a car is vital to everyday life and that there is no practical alternative available. I know people who will take the car on journeys which are quicker to walk. It doesn't matter to these people that cars are dirty, dangerous, expensive and slow because of the congestion they cause themselves. I have travelled to every continent except Antarctica and have never found this ridiculous attitude in any other country except the USA, which to be fair is a far bigger country to travel around making cars more practical. Licenses for these metal death machines are handed out to anyone after a very basic test and most do not use them responsibly, how many times have you been cut up by a motorist racing to get to the next set of traffic lights 2 seconds faster? Instead of trying to resolve this problem our goverment is more interested in pandering to the voting motorist by victimising the humble cyclist. Will this not stop until cycling becomes as antisocial as smoking?

<center><font color="red"><b>My Scott</b></font id="red"></center>

JinjaNinja

Postby JinjaNinja » Fri May 11, 2007 16:26 pm

Serioulsy dude, your way off skinners point though!

He wants to say, "bicycles have every right to use the road in the way that cars do"
EVERYONE on here knows the mentality of car drivers.

<hr noshade size="1">
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NeillyB</i>

I used some blueberry flavoured one we got from the free clinic once

NEVER AGAIN

My penis was blue for 3 days
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

clarkson

Postby clarkson » Fri May 11, 2007 16:30 pm

signed, the ones near me are crap, short and have tw*ats parked in em

I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/?op=list& ... rid=133375

Tartanyak

Postby Tartanyak » Fri May 11, 2007 16:30 pm

Just looking through the cycle paths of the month and it reminded me of a new path made in Huddersfield...

Coming down what was a dual carraigeway that everyone just parked in the left hand lane. Fast, straight road... Now has (going from left to right) car parking lane, cycle path in the open door area then normal lane. Coming up to a two-lane roundabout the parking lane turns into a left-only lane, so going ahead you stay in the same lane...

Except cyclists. The cycle lane has a give way (with no warning) so you have to give way to cars cutting you up...

<center><i>CakeSteed</i>
Camp Commuter
Junkbike, junkbike, dernernernutnernut</center>

Mike Skinner

Postby Mike Skinner » Fri May 11, 2007 17:39 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JinjaNinja</i>

Serioulsy dude, your way off skinners point though!

He wants to say, "bicycles have every right to use the road in the way that cars do"
EVERYONE on here knows the mentality of car drivers.

^^^^ what he said

<b><font color="orange"><center><font size="3">HighZine</font id="size3"></font id="orange"></b> "More Fun than Kucking Dead Fids</center>
<center><font size="1">Punk Cabaret Is Freedom</font id="size1"></center>
<center><font color="blue">M</font id="blue"> <font color="blue">i</font id="blue"> <font color="brown"> n</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">i-</font id="blue"> <font color="brown"> L</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">i</font id="blue"> <font color="brown">n</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">k</font id="blue"></center>
<font color="green"><center><font size="1"><i>Old Vids</font id="size1"></i></font id="green"></center>

Gingersaurus

Postby Gingersaurus » Fri May 11, 2007 17:50 pm

Done.

Dan67

Postby Dan67 » Fri May 11, 2007 17:51 pm

Done

<center><h4><font color="red">Kinesis Maxlight XC</font id="red"></h4></center>

Silver Bullet

Postby Silver Bullet » Fri May 11, 2007 18:08 pm

signed

i was always under the impression the cyclists had right of way anyway...
or atleast thats what i think i was told on my cycling proficiency thing i did however many years ago...

'06 Scott Voltage YZ2

Remember, you are never too old to storm a bouncy castle :)

Super Nuts4fsr

Postby Super Nuts4fsr » Fri May 11, 2007 21:35 pm

Signed. I can't stand cycle lanes, period.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Whyamihere</i>

<center>You'reonefreakyfu<u></u>ckingbas<u></u>tardPhil.</center><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<center><b>Forum Scariest Person 2007</b></center>

skyliner

Postby skyliner » Sat May 12, 2007 00:23 am

Cyclists have always been afforded the same rights as Horses on the roads.
Would this change in the HC mean that the equestrian brigade would have to hop the hedge into nearest field, as it provides "safer passage" for them with less interference to motorists?

Signed and recruiting more signees.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

shadow_ops

Postby shadow_ops » Sat May 12, 2007 05:00 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tartanyak</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JinjaNinja</i>

But how many roads have cycle facilities near them, and if they do why ain't you using them? Its not a great change to the code, so I've signed.

Round me, here's why:

They're thin, full of the detritus from the road, they tend to be badly maintained, have huge dips for drains <i>that run in the same direction as the road, wide enough to fit a bike tyre down/[i], have cars parked in them, wiggle erratically, stop and start suddenly, have idiot give way parts with no warning, have cars parked right next to them with drivers that think because there's a big gap between them and 'real' traffic that they can open their door without looking then leave it open...

<center>[i]CakeSteed</i>
Camp Commuter
Junkbike, junkbike, dernernernutnernut</center>

+1 same problem i have here, i think we have 10 inch cycle lanes through a smal section of my local town. then it comes to a mini roundabout-a little blob of white paint and the cycle lanes suddenly go on the pavement, end, go across to the island for pedestrians, end, go back to the pavement, end. you get the point

a little bit of pain never hurt anyone

paulym31

Postby paulym31 » Sat May 12, 2007 10:30 am

Signed, most of the one's near me seem to have been designed by the same peple who thought up wasps. Pointless, just pointless.

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

---SD---

Postby ---SD--- » Sat May 12, 2007 10:37 am

Well thats dumb. Isn't the government trying to cut down the ammount of cars on the road...

---*SD*---
---*My Gallery*---
---*My Ride*---

wwjjtt

Postby wwjjtt » Sun May 13, 2007 03:15 am

ok i'm gonna sign, but (as stated) if there is a cycle path, why the hell would you ride in the road? personally i only ever ride down mountains but if i was gonna ride on a road i'd use common sence and use a cycle path. when i drive i don't like cyclists on the road-you pay more attention to them and it takes your eyes off the road thats dangerous-if they are on a cycle path then they are out of the way of passing cars. that being said, you get told off for riding in pedestrian areas(well you do in cardiff city center). i don't think they should be able to say much with the insurance thing though-a pavement is a dedicated pedestrian area... but if some drunken fool stumbles into the road your still responsible to stop. your speed should be low enough so you can. so if a cyclist strays out of the cycle path....? i dunno.

never grow up..... just find a bigger playground!

stinky custom -> http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1074854/

not so custom stinky-> http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1029618/

Sno_man517

Postby Sno_man517 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 18:29 pm

signed

Wouldn't it be smart to make the sticky stuff on envelopes taste like chocolate?

Return to “MTB General”