Update - Cheap rotors

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
Mad Splasherwmb

Update - Cheap rotors

Postby Mad Splasherwmb » Sat May 12, 2007 07:42 am

Have been looking to upgrade the rotors on the Giant from 180/160 to 203/180 ready for the Alps in the summer but I'll swap back to 180/160 once home so didn't want to spend too much. Found these so I've ordered a 203. Thought it might be useful to anyone looking for cheap rotors.

Looking at them, I think they're made by A2Z because they look identical to these.

The other tip (although I'm sure most of you have figure this out anyway) is buy Shimano adapters. Since IS and post mount are standards, it doesn't matter which adapter you use and essentially the prices look like this:

Hope œ16
Hayes œ10
Avid œ7
Shimano œ5

In summary, buying a hope plain disc and adapters would have cost œ58, buying the ones I did cost œ24.

Hope this helps someone.

<font size="1">George
<hr noshade size="1">
<b><font color="blue">VeeTee</font id="blue"> <font color="black"> Maxi-Baby</font id="black"> <font color="green"> Scotty Boy</font id="green"> <font color="red">
My Photos</font id="red">
</b>
Believe in your limitations and they shall be yours.</font id="size1">

Aux1

Postby Aux1 » Sat May 12, 2007 07:47 am

I thought of 210mm one for my Magura Julie but probably it would be an overkill for my current riding conditions! [:)]

Btw, why 203mm? To be the same as the grenade launcher? lol [:D]

-----------------
<font size="1">To clip or not to clip, that is the question. Whether tis nobler in the mind of men to suffer the dings and contusions of unclipp'd riding, or to bind thy feet against a sea of gnarly singletrack and by these contraptions, ride o'er them with ease. To clip... to slip no more, and by clipping to end the buttache and the thousand natural shocks that ryders are heir to; tis a consummation devoutly to be honed. No clip - to slip perchance to be thrashed most heinously...</font id="size1">

KTM Ultra Flite 2007

Mad Splasherwmb

Postby Mad Splasherwmb » Sat May 12, 2007 07:52 am

[:D] The grenade launcher and the rotor are both 203.2mm because that's 8". It's a standard size of rotor.

<font size="1">George
<hr noshade size="1">
<b><font color="blue">VeeTee</font id="blue"> <font color="black"> Maxi-Baby</font id="black"> <font color="green"> Scotty Boy</font id="green"> <font color="red">
</b>

Captain Crash

Postby Captain Crash » Sat May 12, 2007 07:56 am

Not a bad post. Let us know how you get on with your new brake parts, as to whether they rust, warp, or just stay the way they should be, whatever. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say. So come back and let us know.

Cheers for the price info [:)].

CC

Aux1

Postby Aux1 » Sat May 12, 2007 18:27 pm

I don't need a bigger rotor... The brakes were slightly underperforming on my 1st downhill because they were just getting ran in, a month of city riding just isn't enough to run them in 100%. Did a second downhill today, they were braking freakin good! Almost perfect!!! [8D]

-----------------
<font size="1">To clip or not to clip, that is the question. Whether tis nobler in the mind of men to suffer the dings and contusions of unclipp'd riding, or to bind thy feet against a sea of gnarly singletrack and by these contraptions, ride o'er them with ease. To clip... to slip no more, and by clipping to end the buttache and the thousand natural shocks that ryders are heir to; tis a consummation devoutly to be honed. No clip - to slip perchance to be thrashed most heinously...</font id="size1">

KTM Ultra Flite 2007

Mad Splasherwmb

Postby Mad Splasherwmb » Wed May 16, 2007 14:17 pm

Some piccies. I haveto say, they are nicer made than Hope or Hayes. Cut and etched, then painted and then ground so the edges and the etched lettering stays painted.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id ... 655&size=l
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id ... 558&size=l

Fitted them today, off tomorrow to get them hot and see what happens.

As for service, ordered them on Sunday and the brake adaptors from CRC at the same time. Both came Tuesday morning.

<font size="1">George
<hr noshade size="1">
</b>

Knightywmb

Postby Knightywmb » Wed May 16, 2007 14:42 pm

Mad Splasher

Thanks a lot Ive been eying up wavey rotors for my mini monos for a while but thought they were dear when the ones I have are fine. But I'll be buying some of these !

knighty

New Frame !
[URL=http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00516rq3.jpg][IMG]

Capt. Jon

Postby Capt. Jon » Wed May 16, 2007 14:55 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tombate911</i>

lol, nice site, dont need more than a 160mm disc though in england for xc riding in my view

My GT

feel free to add me if you have got msn,
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You're obviously not riding fast enough.

TyMBR

Support the UK bike industry

Mad Splasherwmb

Postby Mad Splasherwmb » Wed May 16, 2007 15:35 pm

I'm not sure what the relevance of the 160mm for english XC is when I'm buying them for AM in the Alps but anyway. Thinking of heading up to Sherwood Pines tomorrow. Don't expect there's much there to trouble big brakes though.

<font size="1">George
<hr noshade size="1">
</b>

papasmurf.

Postby papasmurf. » Wed May 16, 2007 16:31 pm

keep us informed on how you go, was thinking of the a2z rotors as i need to up mine to 180s. So would be good to see how they fare

Meta5.5
GT Avalanche 3

Mad Splasherwmb

Postby Mad Splasherwmb » Wed May 16, 2007 19:26 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tombate911</i>

well i 160mm disc and well tuned v-brake is enough power for my and i weight just over 9 stone[:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[:D]

To get serious for a moment [|)], the problem with brakes and power is that most people don't understand it and confuse brake force/instantaneous power and continuous power. A brake is a machine in the purest sense of the word in that it converts one type of energy to another (kinetic to heat). A "powerful" brake is one that generates high decelerations and does this by converting energy fast (high power). But whilst it's instantaneous power may be high, it's continuous power is limited by how fast it can get rid of the heat before damage occurs.

To illustrate the point, an Avid Code on a 160mm rotor will have a high instantaneous power but will overheat quickly [xx(] because of the low heat capacity and radiating surface area of a 160mm disc. A 203mm mini, may not produce any more instantaneous power, but can run at a much higher rating over a prolonged period [^].

So when you think to yourself, hang on, I can lock up my wheels with 160mm rotors, why would anyone need more, hopefully now you know. Plus I'm 1.5 times your mass and so produce 1.5 times as much kinetic energy.

Oh, and I wouldn't fancy doing many Alpine decents with V-brakes. I think the rims may get a bit warm and my Camelbak a bit heavy with all those rim-pads. [;)][:D]

<font size="1">George
<hr noshade size="1">
</b>

Aux1

Postby Aux1 » Wed May 16, 2007 21:07 pm

I wish I could boil an egg on a rotor... [:D]

-----------------

KTM Ultra Flite 2007

Mad Splasherwmb

Postby Mad Splasherwmb » Thu May 17, 2007 07:25 am

Have you tried a smear of copper grease on the back of the pads. You need to be careful not to contaminate the friction material but it ususaly does the trick.

Imperial also do pads at œ8.50 see http://www.mtb-direct.co.uk/cgi-bin/ind ... 0214154638

<font size="1">George
<hr noshade size="1">
</b>

Return to “MTB General”