halfords question???

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.

halfords question???

Postby weewillywinky » Tue Jun 12, 2007 08:44 am

Hi everyone

my girlfriend got a carrera from halfords around christmas.

it has not been used much since then untill the last few weeks where she has done some cycling on the road to university and 1 off road trip with me. problems are stacking up, her gear shifting has totally packed in-only 3 gears are useable at the mo.

is it within my rights to take it back to halfords and ask for them to sort it out as obviously the bike should last a bit better than this?

or am i far too late to do this and have no chance of them fixing it anyway?

will
weewillywinky

Postby guilliano » Tue Jun 12, 2007 08:51 am

Sounds like the gear cables have stretched. Have a look at Park's website... it's reasonably easy to fix. Otherwise you could take it to a good LBS and pay them maybe œ20 for a gear service

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guilliano/
guilliano

Postby weewillywinky » Tue Jun 12, 2007 08:53 am

thanks guys

will have a look at it myself and if i cant sort it will take it to lbs for a good sort out.

will
weewillywinky

Postby Vegeeta » Tue Jun 12, 2007 15:55 pm

Vegeeta

Postby weewillywinky » Tue Jun 12, 2007 16:54 pm

vegetta

i was told that there was no 6 week service by halfords.

my bike had its 6 week sevice at edinbrgh bike but there when i asked in halfords they said i should have brought it back even tho i didnt know they offered the service.
weewillywinky

Postby Vegeeta » Tue Jun 12, 2007 17:15 pm

Vegeeta

Postby weewillywinky » Tue Jun 12, 2007 17:46 pm

yeah really disappointed with the service offered, i thought the guys in store would be really helpful when i went to see them as we have had a bit of trouble with the bike since we got it but they said they couldnt do anythin till july as they r too busy.

hav a lbs lookin at it 2morro tho so should be all sorted then
weewillywinky

Postby davepiggott13 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 23:57 pm

LOL Thought i had written your post DSLDude - I bought my carrera Kraken from Halfords and have had loose crank and punctures due to poor rim tape. My wife got one the same time and has also suffered exactly the same problems. Guy in the shop said that rim tape supplied with the Kraken is very poor and should be changed on both wheels immediately. In fact after he did the rear wheel of the wife's he gave me one so i could do the front wheel at home. My 6 week service is due in a week and i'm definitely taking them both in for it. Youve gotta be a narna to not take the bike in for a FREE service havent you? Especially as you are pre-warned at the point of sale that cables will stretch after a while and need adjusting.

- If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space -
davepiggott13

Return to MTB General