rear shock

Sorting out your thrunge brackets, fettling your inter-rositers and even stuff about bike parts.
cooldad

Re: rear shock

Postby cooldad » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:41 am

Totally irrelevent. Who knows if he had any idea of what he was doing.
As Nick says - have you read the manual?
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

Pesky Jones

Postby Pesky Jones » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:59 am

no i cant find the manual online. I measured the sag and its at a 1/7th. I dont know whats going on!

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:09 am

I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

nicklouse
Lives Here

Postby nicklouse » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:25 am

MTB_TR wrote: I dont know whats going on!

so lets start at the beginning.

what is the year? see link above and download manual.

on a 7+ I would be looking at 25-30% sag
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Pesky Jones

Postby Pesky Jones » Thu Oct 04, 2012 13:00 pm

Ive had a look at the manual and seen that i need the SPV pressure at about 70% my weight. Apart from that i can't see any other way of adjusting the sag. will the airpressure in the SPV pressure do this for me? i know you guys have given me everything i need but ive been looking at it for bout an hour and can't seem to figure it out. such a noob!

mrmonkfinger

Postby mrmonkfinger » Thu Oct 04, 2012 13:56 pm

SPV does not set sag (although it might stop the shock moving, so could get in the way of sorting the sag out)

Main air chamber sets sag.

You must have at least 50psi in the SPV chamber, from memory. Or the shock will be damaged. This is quite important. DO check this figure in the manual. 50psi is what my shock needs, but yours may be a bit different. So double check this.

So I'd set the SPV to 60psi (or whatever is a "safe minimum" pressure) until you have the sag sorted. At a low pressure the SPV will not have much of any platform effect and won't get in the way of sorting out the sag. So do that, set it SPV with a low pressure, and then forget about the SPV for now.

For the main chamber, start with, I dunno, about 40-50psi, in the main chamber, see what sag you get. Probably lots. Add pressure until you get the sag correct. Do not mess with anything but the main chamber until you get this correct.

After you have sorted the main air chamber, the next adjustment to sort out is rebound.

And after rebound, SPV can be pressured up, until you have just about dialled out pedal bob.

And finally, the volume / bottom-out thingy, can be noodled with, to deal with bigger drops & jumps & crazy gnarcore freeride tricks.

disclaimer: all this could be ****. I don't have a swinger. However I do have a similar manitou shock.

Pesky Jones

Postby Pesky Jones » Thu Oct 04, 2012 14:38 pm

mrmonkfinger wrote:SPV does not set sag (although it might stop the shock moving, so could get in the way of sorting the sag out)

Main air chamber sets sag.

You must have at least 50psi in the SPV chamber, from memory. Or the shock will be damaged. This is quite important. DO check this figure in the manual. 50psi is what my shock needs, but yours may be a bit different. So double check this.

So I'd set the SPV to 60psi (or whatever is a "safe minimum" pressure) until you have the sag sorted. At a low pressure the SPV will not have much of any platform effect and won't get in the way of sorting out the sag. So do that, set it SPV with a low pressure, and then forget about the SPV for now.

For the main chamber, start with, I dunno, about 40-50psi, in the main chamber, see what sag you get. Probably lots. Add pressure until you get the sag correct. Do not mess with anything but the main chamber until you get this correct.

After you have sorted the main air chamber, the next adjustment to sort out is rebound.

And after rebound, SPV can be pressured up, until you have just about dialled out pedal bob.

And finally, the volume / bottom-out thingy, can be noodled with, to deal with bigger drops & jumps & crazy gnarcore freeride tricks.

disclaimer: all this could be ****. I don't have a swinger. However I do have a similar manitou shock.

Cheers mate thats helped loads, i really apreciate you taking the time to give a step by step for dummies!

Return to “MTB Workshop & Tech”