Wobbly front wheel, whats wrong ?

Sorting out your thrunge brackets, fettling your inter-rositers and even stuff about bike parts.
cooldad

Re: Best bearings to buy and where from please ? :)

Postby cooldad » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:02 am

CubeCrazy wrote:I undid the stem bolts first then loosened off the steerer bolt, then I torqued it back up to 9 nm as its a carbon steer and then 5nm for the stem bolts.

Tighten up the steerer bolt until any play is gone but still moves freely. Forget torque.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

CubeCrazy

Postby CubeCrazy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:05 am

Hey Neal.

Wow thats a wonderful post mate, lots of info there to get me sorted, thanks a lot mate :D

Right i'll get some bearings ordered and come back to this page when they arrive and see if I can get back on the trails again.

Cheers mate 8)

CubeCrazy

Postby CubeCrazy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:06 am

I have to be careful cooldad as its a carbon steerer and if I shatter that by over expanding am in a mess.

nicklouse
Lives Here

Postby nicklouse » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:07 am

Neal_ wrote:The best bearings are the Japanese brands (SKF, FAG, EZO)

dont tell the Swedes that you have sold SKF.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Neal_

Postby Neal_ » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:18 am

nicklouse wrote:
Neal_ wrote:The best bearings are the Japanese brands (SKF, FAG, EZO)

dont tell the Swedes that you have sold SKF.

So that's what the S stands for :lol: You learn something new every day ;)

CubeCrazy

Postby CubeCrazy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:20 am

Am thinking of these bad boys, not cheap but am hoping if there quality I wont have to be doing this again anytime soon ?

http://www.akbearings.co.uk/product.asp ... rtRecord=1

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:25 am

CubeCrazy wrote:I have to be careful cooldad as its a carbon steerer and if I shatter that by over expanding am in a mess.

Not going to happen unless you are a gorilla. Think about the forces when you go over a gnarrly jump. They don't just snap. Although my son did snap a road one hitting a car. He got revenge by putting a huge dent in the bonnet with his body.

It still needs to be right though and a torque wrench can't tell you that.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

CubeCrazy

Postby CubeCrazy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:38 am

I'm terrible for snapping heads off bolts :( I always like to know things are right, especially if am doing 30mph through woodland hence me buying 3 torque wrenches :lol:

I think recommended nm was like 7nm but I went to 9nm and it just felt tight at that, no knocks or rattles.

Just ordered the bearings from evilbay, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0856317635 £20.08 :shock:

Read online that what I am experiencing is a common problem apparently with this particular Superstars wheelset, one bloke said his bearings lasted only 3 weeks, it seems Superstars are shipping these hubs with cheap bearings, one bloke said he replaced his and his bike is still fine a year on, so am hoping thats all it is.

Neal_

Postby Neal_ » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:42 am

CubeCrazy wrote:Am thinking of these bad boys, not cheap but am hoping if there quality I wont have to be doing this again anytime soon ?

http://www.akbearings.co.uk/product.asp ... rtRecord=1

AK Bearings are the cheapest place I've found outside ebay for FAG (or similar quality) bearings but the prorider ones from Katec are cheaper and he takes the seals off and packs them with grease saving you the bother, he advertises them as SKF or similar and mine were EZO which are just as good. Replaced mine 3 months & 600km ago and they're still perfectly smooth.

CubeCrazy

Postby CubeCrazy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:47 am

I was going to buy from AK but when I went to checkout it said they are not shipping until the 26th so I went to Evilbay and spotted same thing there.

I didnt know you had to pack them yourself with grease, interesting that, good to hear yours are still running smooth, am desperate to get out now and do some miles :D

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:48 am

CubeCrazy wrote: I always like to know things are right,

So do it right and forget torque then.....

Lots of anecdotal evidence online that the Superstar wheels have cheap/rubbish bearings, no-one as far as I'm aware has ever 'proven' this.

Neal_

Postby Neal_ » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:05 am

CubeCrazy wrote:I didnt know you had to pack them yourself with grease

You don't have to but as most cartridge bearings only come with a small amount of grease in them it's a good idea to pop the seals off and fill them fully before fitting, use a sharp pick or pointy knife on the outer edge rather than the inner edge of the seal and be careful not to damage it.

The Beginner wrote:Lots of anecdotal evidence online that the Superstar wheels have cheap/rubbish bearings, no-one as far as I'm aware has ever 'proven' this.

All cartridge bearings need replacing eventually without maintenance but the original ones in my Switch Evo hubs only lasted 6 months before they became rough and the front developed some play, it’ll be interesting to see how well the EZO bearings last with equally nonexistent maintenance. Great wheels though and I really don’t see it being an issue that the bearings don’t last forever as they’re fairly cheap and very easy to replace.

pilch

Postby pilch » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:23 am

Neal_ wrote:
The Beginner wrote:Lots of anecdotal evidence online that the Superstar wheels have cheap/rubbish bearings, no-one as far as I'm aware has ever 'proven' this.

All cartridge bearings need replacing eventually without maintenance but the original ones in my Switch Evo hubs only lasted 6 months before they became rough and the front developed some play, it’ll be interesting to see how well the EZO bearings last with equally nonexistent maintenance. Great wheels though and I really don’t see it being an issue that the bearings don’t last forever as they’re fairly cheap and very easy to replace.

Never had particularly long life out of SS wheel set bearings, when they go I put SKF in and they are noticeably longer lasting, as above no big deal, great wheels at a great price...
A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer

CubeCrazy

Postby CubeCrazy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:25 am

OK well bearings are ordered so one last question remains, because I can't get the buggers out and if I keep trying I am going to need a new hub at this rate because I have scratched these end cups as it is and no matter how much I press down on the axel I cant even get 1mm for the thinnest flat head screwdriver to get any purchase.

So before I break it and risk more scratches and damage and the fact that I may have to do this a lot more in the future, i've decided to invest in a 24mm blind bearing puller, any suggestions on where to get these cheap or is it back to evilbay ?

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:05 pm

No cups, and if the bearings aren't out I doubt you'll have damaged the hub, Not familair with these hubs, but mine you remove the axle and THEN the bearings?

mrmonkfinger

Re: Wobbly front wheel, whats wrong ?

Postby mrmonkfinger » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:12 pm

TBH you might just have received a dodgy bearing in the front hub. See what customer service say.

Do you jetwash the bike to clean it?

OK I best get educated on bearings and the like.

search ebay for 'katec' I understand is a knowledgable supplier, a pair of bearings won't set you back much, especially if you can change them yourself (a front hub is usually easy).

CubeCrazy

Postby CubeCrazy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:18 pm

Well I use like a garden hose on the kitchen tap but yeah I do kinda blast it with that, it needs it when its ditched.

Bearings and bearing puller purchased this morning online, £50+ I wish I didnt have to spend though :( hope a fresh set of bearings sorts it :D

nicklouse
Lives Here

Postby nicklouse » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:18 pm

topics merged. read the service info porvided earlier.

bearing puller not need and not useable.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

CubeCrazy

Postby CubeCrazy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:33 pm

Well done on the merging, didnt know you could do that :)

Superstars recommend that I use one, I tried without but I am having no luck.

"Tor remove the bearings clamp the hub in a soft jaw vice and push the centre spacer to one side to get a drift on the inside of the bearing.
Better still use a 24mm blind bearing puller. They are exactly the same as any other sealed cartridge bearing front hub in design and maintinence.

Regards, Neil - Superstars Components
"

I remember now having to use a bearing puller on me R1 wheel although I did manage without on an Exup once, am hopin it does the job.

leaflite

Postby leaflite » Wed Oct 17, 2012 17:48 pm

Just hope that that is the problem. Are you sure that the expanding steerer thing is not broken-is it pulling the assembly together as you tighten? If you hold the headtube in one hand and the stem in the other, can you feel any play?

Return to “MTB Workshop & Tech”