How much can one screw up a wheel build?

Sorting out your thrunge brackets, fettling your inter-rositers and even stuff about bike parts.
scale20

Re: How much can one screw up a wheel build?

Postby scale20 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 18:02 pm

They are good to keep nipples out of your eye though :lol:

After watching those vids and others on the tube I fancy giving it a go. I want to get some new wheels for my next build, might give building them a go.
Niner Air 9 Rigid
Whyte 129S 29er.

M Velo

Postby M Velo » Sat Nov 10, 2012 09:06 am

You can always use your oakley or any other glasses to protect your eyes. That might look even more cool 8) . lol

I have build a 36 holes wheel last year and I dint need glasses to build my wheel. :)
Custom build Trek MTB
Madone 6.9

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Thu Nov 15, 2012 21:56 pm

Thanks Boys, Think I ll give Nick's idea a go, I actually have an old road wheel that is totalled at the rim, and I could build up into a Turbo Trainer wheel or something...Will have a think.
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

nicklouse
Lives Here

Postby nicklouse » Thu Nov 15, 2012 22:29 pm

ddraver wrote:Thanks Boys, Think I ll give Nick's idea a go, I actually have an old road wheel that is totalled at the rim, and I could build up into a Turbo Trainer wheel or something...Will have a think.

it is the best way. once you have laced it in a new rim pop it into your LBS and ask then to check you are ok as far as you are. if all is good get tensioning.

the main thing about the first build is not to have any plan or need for it to be done.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Torres

Postby Torres » Sat Nov 17, 2012 16:11 pm

Completely agree with Nick.

Have a play rebuilding an old one a few times and see how you get on. It will probably never be cheaper to build a wheel yourself; but I find it quite therapeutic and the end result is very satisfying (if you're the DIY type.)

I follow the guides on bikeradar (were originally in MBUK) and as long as you take your time and double check everything you'll be fine.
What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity

miha555

Postby miha555 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 20:34 pm

I was asking my self the same question. I decided to give it a try. I build it my self and it works fine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caCloMziaCk&list=UUfSg9aN0OZd3imEQbDugC3g&index=5&feature=plcp

RRSODL

Postby RRSODL » Thu Nov 22, 2012 00:07 am

This is something I will attempt next year. I think I can have fun and it will be rewarding to ride wheels built by your truly :D

I have two sets of wheels that could do with a rebuild and that makes a good starting point.

There are some really good videos on how to carry out the job out there. I also read the book from Roger Mussons and to be honest I wasn't too impressed with it so I think the videos I watched make sense to me and that is what I will follow.

Return to “MTB Workshop & Tech”