Bike build query

Sorting out your thrunge brackets, fettling your inter-rositers and even stuff about bike parts.
The Rookie

Re: Bike build query

Postby The Rookie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 07:23 am

I'd be surprised if the Tufftrax frame was lighter, the painted Carrera frames are about 1740g for a 16" which is in a par with Rockhoppers for example.

Corners R Us

Postby Corners R Us » Sun Jan 27, 2013 00:04 am

2350hrs Carerra Vulcan build complete!

New front and rear brake lines applied (Avid One mechanical discs) and brakes adjusted. New front and rear gear cables fitted (both were too short from the Saracen so I had to work out how to change out cables as I've never done it before. Eventually located the little grubber screw and which gear to get the cable in/out in! Typical man; who needs instructions! Front mech mounted, tweaked and tweaked some more til just right and front and rear gears working smoothly. Headset greased and adjusted. Seat height set and bars/levers adjusted to how I like them. Front Crud catcher applied. Front fork lockout cable re-fitted. Job finito!

One maintenance job I've identifed is some slack in the rear hub. time for a strip down, clean, re-grease and adjust through the week I think.

Then I turned to my 13-yr old son's Rockhopper and fitted the Shimano M424 spd pedals; that'll be interesting! I have slacked the springds off so he's got a chance!

Honking it down here at the moment but the forecast is 7 degrees and sunny tomorrow so we should have a pleasant rideout, if a bit muddy in places.

Fingers crossed nowt falls of my bike and my son doesn't spent too much time on his ars*!

Photos to follwo tomorrow along with a post to the Carerra thread...finally!

Corners

Corners R Us

Postby Corners R Us » Sun Jan 27, 2013 14:36 pm

So today's maiden voyage on the freshly built Vulcan 'Bomber' on a muddy/snowy/icy Verderer's Trail in the FoD went largely without issue, aside from my son having an attack of the lazies leaving me to ride alone.

I had a minor problem with the rear mech and it not shifting overly well, jumping gears and being 1-off on the index but quickly identified too much slack in the cable as the culprit :roll: which was easily resolved. Nothing fell off and I'm happy with my build :lol: . This frame is fairly similarly dimensioned to my old Saracen but it seems to ride more plushly without the harsh/crashing and clattering that my old frame seemed to generate. Weight wise they do actually feel the same. I shall now set about reducing this by some careful eBay buying of lighter wheels, tyres and some carbon bits perhaps!

Ready for the off!

At rest somewhere deep in the thawing FoD.

Didn't stay clean long but then its not some work of art, high end, big budget build/show peice; its for using.....

30-mins, some MucOff, a hose pipe and brush, a rag, some Wurth brake cleaner and some WD40 and she's mint again...til next weekend! Time for a shower and throwing all the dirty kit in the washing machine.......

Now I've had a shakedown run and ironed out what few probs there were I might venture up to Cwmcarn next week and give the new steed a proper test! That and I need to get fitter for the Hell of the North Cotswolds in April :oops: !

Thanks to all who've provided input for this build. I'll post the full (interim :roll: ) spec and a pic on the Carerra thread later.

Cheers, Corners.

Return to “MTB Workshop & Tech”