Brass Monkeys anyone..?!!

XC and Enduro racing and events.
njee20

Re: Brass Monkeys anyone..?!!

Postby njee20 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 21:50 pm

Why do you ride a mountain bike? You can't really hope for better conditions than that and you're moaning! :roll:

agg25

Postby agg25 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 08:54 am

I don't ride one specifically to get muddy. I'll still ride in it though. But if you're trying to say it wasn't muddy, then sorry but I have eyes, and will tell you it was.
I know some people think it makes them tougher or something to boast about riding in muddy conditions, but give me fast, dry trails any day. That, and I don't particularly enjoy cleaning bikes or replacing worn parts.
Anyway, leave it at that, it's boring.

njee20

Postby njee20 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:27 am

Couldn't agree more, Sunday was the first MTB ride I've done in 3 months because I don't really like riding in the wet, but I'd still say that comparatively that wasn't a muddy race. Perhaps comparatively is the operative word. I'm not remotely interested in boasting about the conditions I ride in, as that would be utterly pathetic, basing it having done hundreds of events.

I guess for a June race I'd say it was muddy, but I have an expectation of conditions for December, and that exceeded that expectation! Anyway, fairly irrelevant frankly!

frogstomp

Postby frogstomp » Sun Jan 06, 2013 22:25 pm

Final round next Sunday.. weather's looking mainly dry for the week so far, getting chillier towards the end - sounds perfect! Fingers crossed!

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Sun Jan 06, 2013 22:29 pm

Yup, I'll be there :-) ! Hopefully I'll get more than 1 lap in this time....

Currently 4th on series points so you never know - if I do ok this round (or more likely if someone faster can't make this one!) might scrape a decent result :-)
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

njee20

Postby njee20 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 09:18 am

Nope, off skiing for the weekend. Shame to miss it.

frogstomp

Postby frogstomp » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:02 am

miss notax wrote:Currently 4th on series points so you never know - if I do ok this round (or more likely if someone faster can't make this one!) might scrape a decent result :-)

I'll be happy just to break into the top 40 and score some points!

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:07 am

Ah, the joy of being a girlie with only about 10 in your class :lol:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

frogstomp

Postby frogstomp » Mon Jan 07, 2013 21:15 pm

miss notax wrote:Ah, the joy of being a girlie with only about 10 in your class :lol:

I would have struggled to make the points even at those odds in the last round! :roll: :lol:

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:38 am

Errr, has anyone else seen the weather for the weekend? It's looking a bit *chilly* to say the least :shock:

andi1363

Postby andi1363 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:18 am

miss notax wrote:Errr, has anyone else seen the weather for the weekend? It's looking a bit *chilly* to say the least :shock:

Frozen mud is nice and fast plus the bike might stay clean :wink:

See you there Sunday! :D

frogstomp

Postby frogstomp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Just been knocked off my road bike, so I think I'm probably out now.. hopefully no permanent damage but I think I'm going to have some cracking bruises! :roll:

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:50 pm

Oh no :shock:

Are you ok? Regrettably, this is why I would rather take my chances with any rock garden / techy feature on a mtb than ride my road bike on busy roads :(

frogstomp

Postby frogstomp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 13:07 pm

miss notax wrote:Oh no :shock:

Are you ok? Regrettably, this is why I would rather take my chances with any rock garden / techy feature on a mtb than ride my road bike on busy roads :(

Cheers, I think I'm OK.. I've not taken everything off to check yet lol! Just sitting here buzzing a bit still..

It was a quiet country village road - van opened it's door just as I was passing and clipped my dropped bars, spinning me round and depositing me across the road. Thankfully it was just coming up to a junction so the car coming the other way was going slow enough to stop. Just unlucky..

bigad28

Postby bigad28 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 08:25 am

Ah that sucks frogstomp.
I'm going to attempt this event with a couple of mates(although still carrying a abductor strain that comes and goes!) whats the course like over there? never ridden it myself.

frogstomp

Postby frogstomp » Sat Jan 12, 2013 17:08 pm

Looks like being perfect weather for tomorrow (living up to the name!). My legs seem to work ok so I'm going to stock up on ibuprofen and tubigrips and give it a go.. may as well get my money's worth and it seems a shame not to!

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Sat Jan 12, 2013 17:37 pm

That's what you call dedication!

If its any consolation I did this race 2 years ago (my first MTB race ever) with a black eye and cracked ribs, courtesy of some icy roots 5 days before, so I sympathise! If my experience is anything to go by it won't hurt during the race but definitely take the ibruprofen / stop for a beer afterwards!!!

Good luck!

frogstomp

Postby frogstomp » Sat Jan 12, 2013 19:15 pm

Ouch! Good effort - you win!

frogstomp

Postby frogstomp » Sun Jan 13, 2013 18:06 pm

Good event today with a great course - tough but fun! Managed to squeeze in a 3rd lap (eerily quiet!) so I'm happy..

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Sun Jan 13, 2013 18:23 pm

Likewise - I just managed to squeeze in a 3rd lap, which I really struggled with actually! Agree it was very quiet... Ended up riding most of the final lap with a little gang of a chap who was in the 4 hour event (and therefore allowed to be knackered!) and some poor chap who suddenly got cramp about 1 mile before the finish and had to walk - bummer :(

Really struggled today though, I avoided all the Christmas colds / flu but have felt a bit 'meh' and not quite right for weeks - had to stop after the first climb on lap 1 as I thought I was going to throw up :shock: Nice. Think I also should have taken the Santa Cruz - the 5 is great for anything muddy / techy but I really should have been on the faster bike with narrow tyres. And narrower bars. I practically bounced from tree to tree on that narrow bit towards the end on lap 3...

Anyway, no pot for me this time but enjoyed it lots! Feel destroyed now - I thought I saw a Giraffe driving across the New Forest going home which can't say much for my apres-ride mental state :lol:

(That's me driving by the way, not the Giraffe. A Giraffe driving home would be even weirder....)

Return to “Cross-Country and Enduro”