Wiggle southdowns rough ride March 3rd

XC and Enduro racing and events.
miss notax

Re: Wiggle southdowns rough ride March 3rd

Postby miss notax » Fri Feb 15, 2013 09:18 am

Enjoy 8)

As an aside, any BikeRadar peeps fancy meeting beforehand? I have been unceremoniously stood-up by my mate who I was meant to be be riding it with :roll: !! I'm happy biking at my own pace (never works in a group anyway) but it's always nice to say Hi to someone first / cake afterwards as opposed to being a total billy-no-mates :lol:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

frogstomp

Postby frogstomp » Fri Feb 15, 2013 16:27 pm

Michael1308 wrote:Thanks. Yeh I've had a bit of practice with that on the downs in Kent lately.
Thanks again for your help guys.

Oh, and don't underestimate being in the saddle for several hours! Padded shorts are definitely recommended if you don't already have some..

miss notax wrote:As an aside, any BikeRadar peeps fancy meeting beforehand? I have been unceremoniously stood-up by my mate who I was meant to be be riding it with :roll: !! I'm happy biking at my own pace (never works in a group anyway) but it's always nice to say Hi to someone first / cake afterwards as opposed to being a total billy-no-mates :lol:

Yeah, that's cool.. usually aim to be there for the start time (8am) but this one looks like a bit of a trek to get to so we might be a bit later..

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Sat Feb 16, 2013 21:06 pm

Super - will send you a PM beforehand (as opposed to wandering around before asking everyone if they're frogstomp which might get me a few strange looks :wink: ) :D
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

SimpleSimon123

Postby SimpleSimon123 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 21:19 pm

Hi,

A total newbie here.... New to the forum, new to mtb and new to the idea of getting out and doing some exercise! This year I decided to set myself a challenge and take part in one of the wiggle series of mtb events, so I signed up for 25 miles later in the year. So to be able to complete this without the need for medical assistance how many road miles would I need to build up the required stamina?

Thanks in advance for any advice and all the best to those taking up the challenge on the 3rd.

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Wed Feb 20, 2013 13:48 pm

Hi Simple Simon - welcome to the forum! :D

Well done for setting yourself a great challenge! Which one have you entered? Regarding the road miles, i'm not sure to be honest.... I tend to think that the thing that will prepare you for 25 miles of mountain biking, is increasing amounts of mountain biking! I would perhaps find a little local loop and start building up the miles.

There are folk on here from all over the country so i'm sure you'll find some riding buddies for motivation!!

Good luck!

SimpleSimon123

Postby SimpleSimon123 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:48 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. The event I have entered is the Purbecks Hill-a-Saurus, so plenty of time (I hope) to prepare and gain some resemblance of fitness. I hope to find a few routes/events around the Leicestershire area to tackle in the build-up.

Fearn0

Postby Fearn0 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 22:31 pm

Like miss notax said find a loop and get some fitness there. Once you feel like your getting fitter find some hills because as the name suggests there is plenty of them! And good Luck

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Wed Feb 27, 2013 16:57 pm

Hi guys!

I'm *hoping* i'm still ok for this on Sunday - have really hurt my knee but fingers crossed!

Anyway, am deciding which bike to use.... Does anyone know what the course is like first-hand? Technical at all or mostly fire road type stuff? Does it compare to either the New Forest or Purbeck ride? Also, how muddy do we reckon?

My Santa Cruz is a lighter bike so better for non-knee mashing, but it isn't great for mud-clearance hence my question :lol:

frogstomp

Postby frogstomp » Wed Feb 27, 2013 20:33 pm

I guess it'll probably be mostly tracks/bridleways with maybe the odd bit of woody singletrack thrown in.. not overly technical - there's a video clip of a previous event on the website.

It's bound to be muddy but hopefully not too bad as we've had a relatively dry couple of weeks.. would've been nice too have it chilly and frozen like last weekend!

scottfitz

Postby scottfitz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 08:13 am

Its not muddy at the moment, dryest i have ever see the southdowns in Feb!
[url=http://www.qecptrailcollective.co.uk/]

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Thu Feb 28, 2013 09:13 am

Sadly I think i'm going to have to sit this one out :(

My knee still isn't right - just about managed an easy ride last night (only about 15 miles) but I could feel that it still wasn't right, don;t want to risk doing any more damage on Sunday. I did think about doing the shorter ride instead, but it's a 70 mile drive for me and i'm not sure I can justify 140 round trip for a 16 mile ride (or whatever it is!)! Gutted :(

Will contact the organisers later to see if I can transfer my entry to anyone else - if anyone's potentially interested let me know!! 8)

camerauk

Postby camerauk » Thu Feb 28, 2013 09:20 am

Sorry to hear that but I think you are wise to rest it

You maybe able to get your entry transferred to another of their rides

I will be returning to do the Purbecks Hill-a-Saurus this year again, really enjoyed that one, another I will be doing is the Brecon Beast in Wales had to be one of my favourite events last year 80km of great riding :)
Specialized Camber Expert
Specialized Allez Sport

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Thu Feb 28, 2013 09:25 am

That's a good idea - will try that. Being an utter tight-wad I don't want to have wasted my entry fee :lol:

camerauk

Postby camerauk » Thu Feb 28, 2013 09:39 am

miss notax wrote:That's a good idea - will try that. Being an utter tight-wad I don't want to have wasted my entry fee :lol:

Don't blame you I would be exactly the same :)
Specialized Camber Expert
Specialized Allez Sport

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:08 am

And they have kindly transferred my entry to the Purbeck Hill a Saurus in November (when hopefully my knee will be better!!) - the next Wiggle event I can make - for a £5 admin fee which is fair enough! 8)

Under the circumstances i'm happy with that! Good luck to everyone riding on Sunday - have a great time and have a slice of cake for me at the finish :lol:

frogstomp

Postby frogstomp » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:11 am

Probably not a bad idea to rest it.. that monster hill in the middle of the route certainly wouldn't do you any favours!

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:23 am

Yeah - let me know what it's like!!

I might even be tempted to get the much-neglected road bike out for a blast instead, that's how bad it is :wink: :lol:

neilrosser

Postby neilrosser » Sat Mar 02, 2013 20:03 pm

Not long now :D , must get an early night :?
Trek Fuel EX8

frogstomp

Postby frogstomp » Sun Mar 03, 2013 14:39 pm

Great ride.. grinding climbs, tyre-shredding descents and a few nice twisty bits.. perfect weather and no bike cleaning required - bliss!

Managed 3h22m for the epic route, despite body-surfing down a flinty track at 20mph and fading fast over the last 10 miles..

Well done to the organisers - excellent event! :-)

neilrosser

Postby neilrosser » Sun Mar 03, 2013 19:40 pm

What a day!! :twisted: alarm went off at 05:30 :? struggled to drag my ars* out of bed :| , went outside to a frozen bike rack :o put the bike on the car roof, but forgot to tighten the clamp :oops: so the bike had a fight with gravity :roll: , then a peddle decided to say good morning to my head :x. So after wiping away the blood, I counted to 10, and secured the bike properly :) . Started to get a headache after 10 miles into the ride :x so decided to call it a day and just do the short distance :cry:
But hey....I'm alive and got home safely :D and looking forward to the next outing..I think :wink:
Trek Fuel EX8

Return to “Cross-Country and Enduro”