Sunday (11th), Cardiff Area - anyone about?

Organising a ride? Looking for riding buddies? Arrange your rides here.
jimothy78

Re: Sunday (11th), Cardiff Area - anyone about?

Postby jimothy78 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 22:42 pm

Ooops, didn't realise you drove it.

welshkev

Postby welshkev » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:48 am

jimothy78 wrote:Ooops, didn't realise you drove it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
like music? check out: www.rredracer.com

Gazlar

Postby Gazlar » Wed Nov 28, 2012 16:25 pm

Lol, that's ok, I can save hopping off for a non work day. Going up and down the valleys does give me great scope to find some riding, now it's just a case of mapping it and doing it
Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
Amy
Farnsworth
Zapp

jimothy78

Postby jimothy78 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 17:49 pm

Gazlar wrote: now it's just a case of mapping it and doing it

Yes - that's the tricky bit. I went out today to try to find the route up the Craig-yr-Allt that I'd been lusting after. Unfortunately, lack of printer ink meant I couldn't print out a map of the area, like I normally do when going somewhere unfamiliar, so i ended up missing a path and going a couple of miles out of my way, ending up in an area of disused railway sidings which was 6" deep in water as far as the eye could see - after riding through watercress and moss for about half a mile, I decided I'd gone too far and doubled back.

When I finally did get onto the hill, I found myself on the steeper of the two paths - it would have made a great way down - stoney singletrack with a few switchbacks of varying degrees - needless to say, going up wasn't very easy (although I'm sure a better rider would have managed). I ended up pushing my bike (on one wheel in front of me - too narrow to walk by the side of it) for about half of it.

When I got to the point where the two paths met to carry on up the ridge, I'd already eaten too much into my time, so decided to head back down the shallower path, so never actually got anywhere near the ridge itself. Will be trying again another day - on the map it looks like approaching from the other end (nearer Caerphilly) might be the way forwards.

Return to “MTB Rides”