Ibis Mojo HD

Want to show off your latest bit of Bling?
Or just want to show of the love of your Life ;)

what colour pedals???

Poll ended at Thu Mar 17, 2011 19:28 pm

black
40%
white
30%
techno lime green
30%

Total votes : 10

Re: Ibis Mojo HD

Postby lawman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 01:49 am

Took some pictures with the 456 after work today, the HD was clean until I rode it to work earlier in the week, bloody rain! :lol:

Not the best picture, I need to chop the steerer down abit once the works headset is in.

As some of you probably know I'm a big Fox fan, and when kit looks and performs this good, I see no reason to use anything else. The kashima shock is probably my favourite part on the bike right now, shiny!!! :D

I had my doubts about whether I'd made the right choice with tyres, or it was these or Hans Dampfs, and they will have a lot to live up to after the gatestars. Love the world champs stripes too and the tarty green stickers I've had for an age but only just fitted :lol:

I've only ever owned one other piece of Xtr, an old rear mech I had years ago that a mate found for me, came across it in the garage t'other day and boy times have changed since the M950 groupset! Clutch mechs are awesome and this was something I knew I'd regret not buying if I got xt, me likes the shinyness! :D

I quite like this photo so thought I'd put it in this thread too :lol:
lawman

Postby raceface gt » Mon Jan 21, 2013 20:39 pm

How comes the Mojo not dripping in Xtr or Sram kit ?
raceface gt

Postby lawman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 23:21 pm

raceface gt wrote:How comes the Mojo not dripping in Xtr or Sram kit ?

I'm not a huge sram fan tbh, prefer the feel of shimano. Not really worth the extra over xt tbh, I only got the XTR mech cos it was dirt cheap and I was in a spending mood at the time :lol:

Tbh the main reason I haven't is a) for the above reason and b) I want to wait and see how shimano respond to xx1, had a quick browse at a few bikes fitted with it at the bikeshow and it looks awesome, but not being a fan of sram I'll wait til shimano bring out something and hope its more reasonably priced!

Was hoping to have the new 1.5 degree angleset fitted this week, but been forced to the leave the bike at home for a week or two, but when shes fitted it'll be slacked out to 66.5ish degrees and hopefully abit more stable, its a full inch shorter than the 456 and you can really tell the difference!
lawman

Postby Thewaylander » Tue Jan 22, 2013 14:31 pm

Still hating you bike then

all wrong but you love it :lol:
Thewaylander

Postby lawman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 14:52 pm

Thewaylander wrote:Still hating you bike then

Hardly hating, a niggle is not a reason to hate, you're taking my comments about the bike completely out of context. You might wish your mrs had bigger tits, but you don't hate her do you?! :P

It's a great bike the DW-link is top notch, especially with the tuned shock, and its a ******* awesome ride, just wanting to see how it goes with a slacker headangle, which should be fun testing out :mrgreen:
lawman

Postby Thewaylander » Thu Jan 24, 2013 15:03 pm

lawman wrote:
Thewaylander wrote:Still hating you bike then

Hardly hating, a niggle is not a reason to hate, you're taking my comments about the bike completely out of context. You might wish your mrs had bigger tits, but you don't hate her do you?! :P

It's a great bike the DW-link is top notch, especially with the tuned shock, and its a ******* awesome ride, just wanting to see how it goes with a slacker headangle, which should be fun testing out :mrgreen:

Tits make the woman ;)
Thewaylander

Postby lawman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 18:39 pm

Works headset fitted!! :mrgreen: Have misplaced my camera but its now sitting at 66.7 degrees according an app I got and a quick spin and it feels ******* awesome!! Looking for some cheap electric scales to properly weigh it, mega excited to get out now, if only the weather would stop being so sh!t!!!!! :(
lawman

Postby Dick Scruttock » Tue Jan 29, 2013 19:08 pm

I look forward to hearing how it feels with the works headset fitted. What degree cups did you go for?
Dick Scruttock

Postby lawman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 19:43 pm

I'm seriously excited to try it out, the one department the whyte 146 is ahead of the HD is geometry, hopefully now it's slacker, a tiny bit lower and abit longer it'll be even better. As I said in another thread recently I've noticed American bikes tend to be alittle bit higher and steeper than most, especially stuff designed for the UK.

I went for a 1.5 degree offset, I was measured it at 68.1 degrees with the old headset and now it's 66.7 degrees, so with a free iPhone app I'm guessing its not entirely accurate, but it'll be ballpark. It's certainly looks a lot slacker and it feels different to ride, looking forward to getting it out in the trails!
lawman

Postby bennett_346 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 20:14 pm

I still don't get this whole trend of slacker is better. Every time i've ridden a slack trail bike it has handled horribly in corners.
bennett_346

Postby lawman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 20:21 pm

bennett_346 wrote:I still don't get this whole trend of slacker is better. Every time i've ridden a slack trail bike it has handled horribly in corners.

You have to adapt your technique slightly for corners, as it requires more weight over the front wheel. Once you get used to it though, the speed you can carry through corners is better and the added stability is great for just letting off the brakes on rough descents. I find it hard to ride steeper bikes now as I'm used to the slacker angles, which is the main reason I retired my old Xc120 as that was horrendously steep even with a 140mm fork
lawman

Postby 70\'sPenguin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 21:40 pm

Nice tyres. I have some Ralphs with a WC badge too ;)
70\'sPenguin

Postby lawman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:27 pm

70\'sPenguin wrote:Nice tyres. I have some Ralphs with a WC badge too ;)

They look nice, but they sure as hell don't work on wet DH tracks! :shock:

Tbf, the trails we ride back from Nant Y Arian are proper steep and tricky in the dry, given the rain and snow recently its been pretty slick and the Nics are just poor in that kinda stuff, although nothing but a dedicated mud or spike tyre would have been much help I think! I've got some Muddy Mary's for the 456 which will take DH duties this year and they should be awesome in the mud and slop.

The Nics are great if you keep them away from deep mud and slick DH trails, this time of year they aren't great, but the rest of year they are very good. The tread pattern doesn't seem to lend itself to mud, but the compound keeps them grippy everywhere else.
lawman

Postby the_moodster » Wed Jan 30, 2013 13:06 pm

:shock: how slack!!!
the_moodster

Postby lawman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 14:26 pm

the_moodster wrote::shock: how slack!!!

It doesnt look as slack as it actually is! :lol: More importantly its stretched the wheelbase, so stability should abit better. Will put some photos up in abit :D
lawman

Postby lostboysaint » Wed Jan 30, 2013 14:34 pm

lawman wrote:As I said in another thread recently I've noticed American bikes tend to be alittle bit higher and steeper than most, especially stuff designed for the UK.

And yet when you see what they ride them in you have to wonder whether it's their design or your technique that is compromised. Or perhaps just your belief in the infallibility of the meeja who keep telling us that longer, slacker bikes are the only way forward.

Personally I found the allrounder that suited me best was the Bandit (68deg HA - even the much harder hitting Covert is still only 66.9deg). With the balance of shorter TT and steeper seat angle it meant I was really well centred for climbs and singletrack shredding and yet it was very, very easy to drop over the back for big descents, shifting the weight forward easily when needed. A lot of the US/Canadian bikes are the same and get very well reviewed and yet you think otherwise. Guess that's why everyone's bike is so personal.
Trail fun - Transition Bandit
Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur
Allround - Cotic Solaris
lostboysaint

Postby lawman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 17:17 pm

lostboysaint wrote:
lawman wrote:As I said in another thread recently I've noticed American bikes tend to be alittle bit higher and steeper than most, especially stuff designed for the UK.

And yet when you see what they ride them in you have to wonder whether it's their design or your technique that is compromised. Or perhaps just your belief in the infallibility of the meeja who keep telling us that longer, slacker bikes are the only way forward.

Personally I found the allrounder that suited me best was the Bandit (68deg HA - even the much harder hitting Covert is still only 66.9deg). With the balance of shorter TT and steeper seat angle it meant I was really well centred for climbs and singletrack shredding and yet it was very, very easy to drop over the back for big descents, shifting the weight forward easily when needed. A lot of the US/Canadian bikes are the same and get very well reviewed and yet you think otherwise. Guess that's why everyone's bike is so personal.

As you say it's all very personal! My old maxlight was very steep and for years I never noticed it because it felt comfortable and it was a bike i knew really well so it was never an issue, I was confident on it and for 4 and a half years I was convinced it was one of the best hardtails out there. When I bought the HD, which as stock was close to 2 degrees slacker it felt faster to me straight away and then when I rode the maxlight again after some 8 months without riding it, I no longer felt comfortable on it.

Geometry is very personal and I've found I prefer a slacker bike, I feel more comfortable on them and that gives me the confidence to ride harder. I have no doubt that the american bikes I was refering too are good bikes, but personally I think alot of them would suit me more if they were slacker.
lawman

Postby chick0 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 17:46 pm

What's the deal with the tyres Lawman? Are they a special editions?
chick0

Postby lawman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 18:18 pm

chick0 wrote:What's the deal with the tyres Lawman? Are they a special editions?

Its a special compound they only make for Nics and Racing Ralphs, it was designed by Jared Graves for 4X and he won multiple world cups and world championships on these tyres and this compound. They are great in most conditions just not muddy DH as mentioned above.
lawman

Postby chick0 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 18:22 pm

lawman wrote:
chick0 wrote:What's the deal with the tyres Lawman? Are they a special editions?

Its a special compound they only make for Nics and Racing Ralphs, it was designed by Jared Graves for 4X and he won multiple world cups and world championships on these tyres and this compound. They are great in most conditions just not muddy DH as mentioned above.

Do you know what is different about the compound? Is it super soft or something?
chick0

PreviousNext

Return to Your Mountain Bikes