Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Want to show off your latest bit of Bling?
Or just want to show of the love of your Life ;)
the_moodster

Re: Carbon 456 owners pictures and spec

Postby the_moodster » Fri Mar 01, 2013 21:09 pm

aidieb wrote:Have you just bought that frame?

Yes but second hand so no new bolt worries there.

It's going to be a fairly leisurely built and it'll probably share some bits off the mojo, seat post and wheels to start with.

Had my eye on some forks on eBay but I think they sold. Thinking 1x10 for the drive train.

aidieb

Postby aidieb » Sun Mar 03, 2013 08:26 am

the_moodster wrote:
aidieb wrote:Have you just bought that frame?

Yes but second hand so no new bolt worries there.

Had my eye on some forks on eBay but I think they sold. Thinking 1x10 for the drive train.

Well it looks in pretty good order.

The terrain around here wouldn't allow the use of a 1x10 drivetrain it must be so much simpler to look after. when there are climbs we have to do regularly to get to a favourite trail, that climb 1000ft in less than 2miles, you just have to go granny ring some days, on a good day I can get up there in middle ring but it's a tough old slog.
I suppose the bike would be lighter though and easier to haul up there. :lol:
I think that I could manage without the big ring easy enough. Perhaps I'll think about that when I finally take the plunge and ditch the 3x9. It's so expensive to change the lot at once.

Plyphon

Postby Plyphon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:14 pm

Here is a very blurry quick photo of the bike with the new front wheel + tyre.

Last thing to do is change that rear tyre and we're golden!

JMcP92

Postby JMcP92 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 00:16 am

I'm nearly done, need me a saddle though.
Looking for a Charge Spoon in white/red but Wiggle is all out, anyone know anywhere else?

Scratch that, just got off amazon.
Now I just need my 10mm rear axle and my grips and I'm good

paulneenan76

Postby paulneenan76 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 15:35 pm

JMcP92 wrote:I'm nearly done, need me a saddle though.
Looking for a Charge Spoon in white/red but Wiggle is all out, anyone know anywhere else?

Did you say Superstar were out of stock? Try emailing them or posting on F'book, or even ringing them. Sometimes they replenish lines quite fast. It's worth waiting for, if only to colour co-ordinate, let alone price and quality.

Paul
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

JMcP92

Postby JMcP92 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 16:51 pm

paulneenan76 wrote:

Did you say Superstar were out of stock? Try emailing them or posting on F'book, or even ringing them. Sometimes they replenish lines quite fast. It's worth waiting for, if only to colour co-ordinate, let alone price and quality.

Paul

Got an e-mail reply from them just now. Axle's are not back till the end of March, grips are not re-stocked till mid-April. I'll frankly have to wait for the axle, but I can get grips elsewhere I suppose.

Looking for white grip, red lock-ons and bar end, reasonable price and quality, ideas?

aidieb

Postby aidieb » Mon Mar 04, 2013 17:22 pm

JMcP92 wrote:
paulneenan76 wrote:

Paul

Looking for white grip, red lock-ons and bar end, reasonable price and quality, ideas?

Yes ditch the white grips idea they only look shocking after a very short time! unless you just gotta!!

paulneenan76

Postby paulneenan76 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 17:25 pm

JMcP92 wrote:
paulneenan76 wrote:

Paul

Got an e-mail reply from them just now. Axle's are not back till the end of March, grips are not re-stocked till mid-April. I'll frankly have to wait for the axle, but I can get grips elsewhere I suppose.

I had ODI Yeti lock ons before and they were great. I'd go for ODI, they've got plenty of colour choice etc, and they have good grip and longevity. Bit pricey at around £23 so not superstar value but the grip will last longer.

Could you not get a shimano rear axle?

JMcP92

Postby JMcP92 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 18:29 pm

paulneenan76 wrote:
JMcP92 wrote:
paulneenan76 wrote:

Paul

I had ODI Yeti lock ons before and they were great. I'd go for ODI, they've got plenty of colour choice etc, and they have good grip and longevity. Bit pricey at around £23 so not superstar value but the grip will last longer.

Could you not get a shimano rear axle?

Got any links for the Shimano 10mm axles? I've looked, but I couldn't find much... in red, of course :P

EDIT: Also, can't find a good site for the ODI grips. Looking for the white grip with red lock on's and bar ends, any help?

aidieb

Postby aidieb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 19:05 pm

"Got any links for the Shimano 10mm axles? I've looked, but I couldn't find much... in red, of course :P"

You could look at these beautys from an Italian site. they look great and they do a 10mm QR or 12mm-10mm stepdown bolt through too which is on my shopping list. these ARE red but they do all colours.

http://www.protone-components.it

paulneenan76

Postby paulneenan76 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 21:34 pm

JMCp92 Sorry I missed this. Will have a look for a link but I'm not 100% sure Shimano do it - Madison website will have it if they do. Having said that, it's massively unlikely it'll be in any other colour other than black. And you gotta have red :D

The ODI stuff? Have you looked at Merlin? Or go on ODI's website and if you can't buy directly then they'll have stockists. Halfords stock them.

Also, I'm thinking of getting over to Wales for a lads weekend break - any of you fellow C456 riders recommend Afan as a good option?

Paul

JMcP92

Postby JMcP92 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 21:56 pm

Cheers for the info Paul, I looked at Merlin with no luck, then google ODI components UK but still nothing direct, but gave me a link to this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ODI-Troy-Lee-Lo ... 39&sr=1-17

Top right corner, sold by Leisure Lakes Cycles, to their site! £19 later, ordered

Now I do think realistically I'm gonna have to wait till the end of March for the Superstar QR's to come back, but then I'm done!!!

Also, Paul, if you've not had a look I've updated my thread with a few pictures, shady ass quality, but they're there :)
I'm hoping my Shimano XT M781 conventionally mounted front mech is the correct setup, dual pull unisize, should work but Derailleurs confuse me :P

paulneenan76

Postby paulneenan76 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 22:18 pm

JMcP92 wrote:Cheers for the info Paul, I looked at Merlin with no luck, then google ODI components UK but still nothing direct, but gave me a link to this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ODI-Troy-Lee-Lo ... 39&sr=1-17

Top right corner, sold by Leisure Lakes Cycles, to their site! £19 later, ordered

Now I do think realistically I'm gonna have to wait till the end of March for the Superstar QR's to come back, but then I'm done!!!

Also, Paul, if you've not had a look I've updated my thread with a few pictures, shady ass quality, but they're there :)
I'm hoping my Shimano XT M781 conventionally mounted front mech is the correct setup, dual pull unisize, should work but Derailleurs confuse me :P

Ha ha, just posted on the other thread. Grips look bang on.

Front derailleur needs to be 34.9mm (clamp)front mech top pull & bottom/top swing. But if in doubt, call the boys at OnOne.

Fleabay or a cheap alternative for skewer? Until such time as Superstar get a shiny red one in!!

Neal_

Postby Neal_ » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:45 am

Front mechs on the C456 need to be conventional like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=20685. My top swing mech wouldn't fit as it couldn't be mounted low enough due to the seta tube flaring out at the BB. Also unisize will fit the 34.9mm seat tube.

paulneenan76

Postby paulneenan76 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 22:15 pm

Anybody using On-One' Smorgasbord tyres?

Paul

Neal_

Postby Neal_ » Tue Mar 12, 2013 09:09 am

I've just fitted a Smorgasbord rear and Chunky Monkey front both trail extreme to my Superstar AM-490 wheels and set them up tubeless pretty easy even though it was my first tubeless attempt. They look good (black, round and knobbly) and I'll be giving them their first outing tonight.

leythervegas

Postby leythervegas » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:10 am

paulneenan76 wrote:Anybody using On-One' Smorgasbord tyres?

Paul

I got some smorgasbord enduros to use through winter and they are very good. A bit on the heavy side but grip really well. I did my back in soon after getting them so not rode them much and I'm now selling them as I'm putting my summer tyres back on. If you're interested let me know pal.

the_moodster

Postby the_moodster » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:41 am

I guess it's time i started my own build thread, the boxes are piling up; I've gone with 150mm TALAS for the forks:

and the drive train should be in the post 8)

Plyphon

Postby Plyphon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 14:05 pm

New wheel, new rubber. Complete, ready for summer.

Sh*t that rhymes.

BlueAdvocate

Postby BlueAdvocate » Sat Mar 16, 2013 18:55 pm

Finally my build got it's first proper ride after finding time between crap weather, riding and football.
Got round to fitting the dropper and bedding in the brakes; meanwhile the Trek is in the garage for some tender loving care.
Was impressed, it nailed the Gauxholme descent.
oh and this may be obvious but Formula The One brakes are a dream compared to the Elixirs on my Trek.

Return to “Your Mountain Bikes”