Ragley Piglet - Beef injection

Want to show off your latest bit of Bling?
Or just want to show of the love of your Life ;)
frankspencer1979

Ragley Piglet - Beef injection

Postby frankspencer1979 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 13:32 pm

I've been thinking about getting a Piglet for a while now. After reading plenty of reviews and write-ups over the past year or so, it sounds like the ideal bike for me. There's nowt wrong with my current bike really, it's served me well, but I like the idea of building something up myself, and I want to see what a steel frame is really like.

When a cheap 2011 Piglet frame appeared on CRC I was too tempted. I know the 2013 models will be out sooner or later, but I've saved the best part of a ton and I can live without ISCG tabs, even if they do appear on the new frames; and I wanted a green one anyway! So here it is.....

I'm gonna transfer as many components from the Vitus over as possible.....

and then upgrade any as and when I think it's necessary. Need some new components, first ones arrived today.....

The frames is in the LBS this week to have the headset fitted. I'm gone strip and clean up the Vitus tomorrow, then cobble it all together once the headset's in. Think I'll probably get stuck with gear and brake cables and I know the rear caliper mount will need changing too. What I'll probably do is get as far as I can, make a mess of it then take it all into the LBS for them to fix! :roll:
Last edited by frankspencer1979 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 18:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HarryK

Re: Ragley Piglet

Postby HarryK » Sat Jan 05, 2013 14:34 pm

Nice! I built one up last year and its a great bike, looking forward to see how yours looks!

Greer_

Re: Ragley Piglet

Postby Greer_ » Sat Jan 05, 2013 15:47 pm

Main things to check will be seatpost, seat clamp, front mech and bottom bracket. The cable lengths should hopefully be okay!

frankspencer1979

Re: Ragley Piglet - Work in progress/problems

Postby frankspencer1979 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 16:47 pm

So I've started building today. This being my first build, there's plenty of stuff gone wrong; being frigging clumsy doesn't help either. Began by stripping the old bike on Sunday

At this point, I thought "Christ, what am I doing!?"

Frame went in the LBS today and had the headset fitted, and now it looks like this

But there's problems....

1. I've dropped half the power link from the chain down the drain :oops:

2. The drive side of the BB (Hope stainless) seems to have almost seized since taking it off the old bike where it was working perfectly. Now when I fit the cranks, they barely spin at all, let alone spin freely. :?

3. I took the stem and top cap off to adjust the stack height, this resulted in the fork dropping out, and now the headset feels loose again :roll:

4. The seat clamp didn't come with a shim so I can't clamp it tight enough :x (queue Hope bashing!)

5. I haven't got a clue how to tackle gear cables :|

Oh well, it's a learning curve ain't it. On the plus side, the brakes went on straight away and work nicely! And sizing isn't going to be an issue, it feels like it'll be bob on. Think it'll look nice too, despite being a mix n match of parts. Will post full spec once it's finally done.

ride_whenever

Re: Ragley Piglet - Work in progress

Postby ride_whenever » Wed Jan 09, 2013 16:53 pm

1. MTFU and get it out (or ask lbs nicely)
2. Too many spacers on the bb probably, measure the BB shell. One driveside for 73mm and two drive one non drive for 68. Remove one of the driveside spacers if your chain device is bb mounted.
3. Undo the stem and re-preload the headset, see park tools for instructions.
4. Return to retailer and procure correct size seatclamp presumably
5. Park tools is your friend!

Looks like it's going to be lovely when built up though!

ilovedirt

Postby ilovedirt » Wed Jan 09, 2013 17:00 pm

I think it's the frame that should have come with a shim for the seat clamp, my bagger did at least.

Build looks nice though :)
Saracen Ariel 151

B'Twin Triban 5

paulneenan76

Postby paulneenan76 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 17:21 pm

Looks great. At least you're having a go yourself, which'll be worth it and all the more fulfilling once you finish it, I'm sure.
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

HarryK

Postby HarryK » Wed Jan 09, 2013 18:10 pm

ride_whenever wrote:2. Too many spacers on the bb probably, measure the BB shell. One driveside for 73mm and two drive one non drive for 68. Remove one of the driveside spacers if your chain device is bb mounted.

Only needs one spacer on the drive side for a piglet- so if you've got more than that take em' out!

Barrelmaker

Postby Barrelmaker » Wed Jan 09, 2013 18:16 pm

I was in the same situation as you when i built my bike up, i just thought i'd give it a go. I also felt the same about the gears but once you get stuck in its not so bad. When i did my gears it gave me a much better idea of how everything interacts so when things have started slipping since building it up i have been able to sort it (kind of).

frankspencer1979

Postby frankspencer1979 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 18:32 pm

Thanks for all the responses, gonna have another crack at it tomorrow afternoon (got no garage so have to do it in the garden.)

HarryK wrote:
ride_whenever wrote:2. Too many spacers on the bb probably, measure the BB shell. One driveside for 73mm and two drive one non drive for 68. Remove one of the driveside spacers if your chain device is bb mounted.

Only needs one spacer on the drive side for a piglet- so if you've got more than that take em' out!

Unfortunately, it's not this, I got the right amount of spacers (just the Blackspire Stinger in lieu of the drive side spacer.) The drive side cup seems to have stiffened up, I can push it round with effort and it feels smooth, but it doesn't move freely. I've popped the seal off and cleaned it up but it made no difference.

As for the other things, I'm not going in the drain, I'll ask nicely in the shop, I'll check out Park tools for hints and the shim should have come with the frame; tried a bodge with a bit of inner tube for now!

ilovedirt

Postby ilovedirt » Thu Jan 10, 2013 02:35 am

Have you contacted wherever you got it from? Failing that, you can get hold of the shim from CRC. It should have come with a load of stickers as well, it looks like it didn't? That or you've just not put them on yet...

Gears are dead easy once you suss them out by the way, took me a while to figure it out, but once you realise how they work, it's a piece of wee-wee!
pro tip - the cable pulls the mech from the smaller cogs to the bigger ones on the rear. Once you've set where the limit screws make it sit at each end, sit it in the smallest cog, attach cable at a relatively decent tension. Adjust the cable tension with the barrel adjuster on the shifter. Too much tension means it doesn't shift up (harder gears, smaller cogs) properly. Too little tension means it won't shift down properly (bigger cogs, easier gear). Simples ;)
Saracen Ariel 151

B'Twin Triban 5

frankspencer1979

Postby frankspencer1979 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 16:13 pm

ride_whenever wrote:1. MTFU and get it out (or ask lbs nicely)
2. Too many spacers on the bb probably, measure the BB shell. One driveside for 73mm and two drive one non drive for 68. Remove one of the driveside spacers if your chain device is bb mounted.
3. Undo the stem and re-preload the headset, see park tools for instructions.
4. Return to retailer and procure correct size seatclamp presumably
5. Park tools is your friend!

Looks like it's going to be lovely when built up though!

Today's update

1. Got hold of new power link, no drain/arm contact required
2. Still not solved this
3. Understand this now and tightened it up nicely
4. Frame was ex-display so don't come with sticker sheet/shim, on the case
5. Not attempted yet, need to get bb/crankset installed first before I move onto owt else

Need to crack on with it, I'm itching to ride, it's been nearly a month since I last got out.

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 17:32 pm

ride_whenever wrote:One driveside for 73mm and two drive one non drive for 68. Remove one of the driveside spacers if your chain device is bb mounted.

If the cranks are GXP they run no spacers at all on a 73mm shell, so installation of a BB mount chain device is not possible.

frankspencer1979

Postby frankspencer1979 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 18:19 pm

bennett_346 wrote:
ride_whenever wrote:One driveside for 73mm and two drive one non drive for 68. Remove one of the driveside spacers if your chain device is bb mounted.

If the cranks are GXP they run no spacers at all on a 73mm shell, so installation of a BB mount chain device is not possible.

I get what your saying here' the hope instructions don't specify GXP/non-GXP differences. I'll have another crack!

*edit - had a crack, removed the Stinger and now it all spins nicely. Maybe I spoke too early when I said I could live without ISCG tabs, looks like they'd be handy after all.

thirstynomad

Postby thirstynomad » Thu Jan 10, 2013 20:14 pm

let me know if you need the shim, i have a spare

and i could rustle up a few stickers from frames 1 and 2 if you're interested

stuisnew

Postby stuisnew » Thu Jan 10, 2013 21:05 pm

Signing up - these always get rave reviews so would like to see how yours turns out! :D

thirstynomad

Postby thirstynomad » Thu Jan 10, 2013 21:39 pm

frank

pm your address i'll pop it in the post

love my piglet, without question THE most fun bike i've ever had :D

thirstynomad

Postby thirstynomad » Sun Jan 13, 2013 16:37 pm

frank

hope the shim turned up, went in the post on friday

mine looks like this, or it did this morning :D

frankspencer1979

Postby frankspencer1979 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 18:35 pm

Shim didn't show yesterday, it'll turn up tomoz I'm sure. Nice Piglet fella, makes me even keener/impatient to get mine sorted. I've encountered more problems than I anticipated during the build, but hopefully I'll have her up and running in the next couple of days. Wanna get out on it whilst the weathers cold and dry!

stuisnew

Postby stuisnew » Mon Jan 14, 2013 19:51 pm

frankspencer1979 wrote:Wanna get out on it whilst the weathers cold and dry!

Wetter than an otter's pocket here :lol:

Return to “Your Mountain Bikes”