Building my new YETI ASR 7 (NOW BUILT)

Want to show off your latest bit of Bling?
Or just want to show of the love of your Life ;)
AlexJCook

Re: Building my new YETI ASR 7

Postby AlexJCook » Fri Jun 14, 2013 21:52 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe one of the biggest selling points of those expensive XX1 Chainrings is that they don't require a chain device due to their taller and more secure teeth.

ashleygreen

Postby ashleygreen » Fri Jun 14, 2013 22:22 pm

AlexJCook wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe one of the biggest selling points of those expensive XX1 Chainrings is that they don't require a chain device due to their taller and more secure teeth.

No you are rite I am useing it more as a guard than a guide. I found that I hit my old chain ring off big steps and drop offs, also protects the frame a bit. Plus if I throw it in the car I wont rip the seats :wink:

ashleygreen

Postby ashleygreen » Fri Jun 21, 2013 19:54 pm

The last few parts ! I just have to buy the minor bits and bobs then I can put it together.

supermike

Postby supermike » Tue Jun 25, 2013 03:38 am

Awesome. Nice frame and parts will be a right ripper when built. Yeti's rock
looking forward to seeing it built

Thewaylander

Postby Thewaylander » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:17 am

i think you will be disapointed with the fork,

The R versions of the fox forks are awful, suffer with dive and terrible small bump sensativity, i can say this as i ride with one. With fox its either have a fit cartridge or ahve a naff fork.

But otherwise nice tre nice.

JMcP92

Postby JMcP92 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 14:21 pm

You may well hate me for pointing this out, but chop off 300/400 grams and have a better wheelset, though you would need a freehub adaptor for the XX1

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits ... elID=85170

Also, you asked for reverb advice, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm quite sure you don't have to use all of the drop, so you can have it set so that it uses 100mm, or 80mm etc. so you don't need to be perched on top, just set the right drop high and you'll be fine :)

ashleygreen

Postby ashleygreen » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:39 pm

JMcP92 wrote:You may well hate me for pointing this out, but chop off 300/400 grams and have a better wheelset, though you would need a freehub adaptor for the XX1

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits ... elID=85170

Also, you asked for reverb advice, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm quite sure you don't have to use all of the drop, so you can have it set so that it uses 100mm, or 80mm etc. so you don't need to be perched on top, just set the right drop high and you'll be fine :)

Yes I understand what you mean now. I've built it so ile add photos now. Your rite :(

ashleygreen

Re: Building my new YETI ASR 7 NOW BUILT !!!!!

Postby ashleygreen » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:49 pm

I'm not gona lie but the magura brakes are terrible to work with and wheels aren't all that. I wish I spent a bit more on the wheels and less on brakes.

I didn't reach my weight goal but I'm happy.

How much would you pay for this bike in a shop ? I will tell you how much I have spent in a couple of days, I'm just curious if it is cheaper to build.

Thanks

lawman

Postby lawman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 13:57 pm

Yeti don't make the ASR7 anymore so difficult to say. Was never a very popular bike in reality, the sky high top tube and lack of stand over put many people off. As I said in another thread at the high end I think it's cheaper to build yourself than buy off the shelf, purely because you can pick what you want.

I agree on the brakes, I don't get why some people race about them, had a few issues with my old Louise's and frankly the new shimanos are in a different league to anything out there ATM, there are just that good. Still bike looks really nice!

ashleygreen

Postby ashleygreen » Fri Jun 28, 2013 14:12 pm

lawman wrote:Yeti don't make the ASR7 anymore so difficult to say. Was never a very popular bike in reality, the sky high top tube and lack of stand over put many people off. As I said in another thread at the high end I think it's cheaper to build yourself than buy off the shelf, purely because you can pick what you want.

I agree on the brakes, I don't get why some people race about them, had a few issues with my old Louise's and frankly the new shimanos are in a different league to anything out there ATM, there are just that good. Still bike looks really nice!

thanks. Its nice that your honest. I totally agree with you about the stand over on the top tube. Its frustrating.

123oldman

Postby 123oldman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 14:32 pm

Seriously nice bike! Now that it's built, what's it like to ride? looks like a proper riot.

Looked at a ASR7 frame set but decided against it and went 575 instead, the riding I generally do wouldn't warrant the extra travel. Love my Yeti, glad I took the decision to build it :D

JMcP92

Postby JMcP92 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 15:13 pm

I couldn't really be sure of how much I'd pay, just not sure so don't wish to make comment.

But on the other bits, I did find it interesting you went for Magura, I've not heard much of them before other than they can be awkward to set up. I run a Magura clutch on my MX bike and it's lovely, great feel to it but still, all dependant, maybe the brakes are not all you'd have hoped but from what I gather they'll still stop you.

What I would personally do is (if you have any money laying around) grab those Easton's before they disappear, then swap them on, but the flows up on here and see if they go, with any luck they will and then you'll be better off wheel wise. Not sure on the weight of the flows, but I recall it being about 1900g, I weighed my Easton's when they showed up and they 1630, very happy :)

Second off, if you're not satisfied with the brakes, I'd go for the Hopes, either M4 or V4, apparently the V4 is a little stronger and lighter, but I've not ridden it, I've got some M4's laying around somewhere but they're not for a build just yet - in the future maybe.

Other than that, no need to spend money if you don't need to, just enjoy the ride :)

lawman

Postby lawman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 17:37 pm

JMcP92 wrote:I couldn't really be sure of how much I'd pay, just not sure so don't wish to make comment.

But on the other bits, I did find it interesting you went for Magura, I've not heard much of them before other than they can be awkward to set up. I run a Magura clutch on my MX bike and it's lovely, great feel to it but still, all dependant, maybe the brakes are not all you'd have hoped but from what I gather they'll still stop you.

What I would personally do is (if you have any money laying around) grab those Easton's before they disappear, then swap them on, but the flows up on here and see if they go, with any luck they will and then you'll be better off wheel wise. Not sure on the weight of the flows, but I recall it being about 1900g, I weighed my Easton's when they showed up and they 1630, very happy :)

Second off, if you're not satisfied with the brakes, I'd go for the Hopes, either M4 or V4, apparently the V4 is a little stronger and lighter, but I've not ridden it, I've got some M4's laying around somewhere but they're not for a build just yet - in the future maybe.

Other than that, no need to spend money if you don't need to, just enjoy the ride :)

Nothing particularly wrong with the wheels, abit weighty but they'll be durable, Easton's don't tend to last too well either, though the new upgrade they've just done might help. Hope brakes are also massively over-rated. Expensive, often under-powered and the m4 is a heavy brake, and the v4 is even heavier, even with the ti hardware. Shimanos are lighter, much, much less expensive, more powerful, my XT's are much more powerful than a mates m4's and are generally a nicer feeling brake IMO.

ashleygreen

Postby ashleygreen » Fri Jun 28, 2013 21:03 pm

123oldman wrote:Seriously nice bike! Now that it's built, what's it like to ride? looks like a proper riot.

Looked at a ASR7 frame set but decided against it and went 575 instead, the riding I generally do wouldn't warrant the extra travel. Love my Yeti, glad I took the decision to build it :D

I haven't taken it out yet. I only took it on a road ride but ile be out soon and will keep you updated.

Kowalski675

Postby Kowalski675 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 21:06 pm

Classy looking bike - like it.

ashleygreen

Postby ashleygreen » Fri Jun 28, 2013 21:07 pm

JMcP92 wrote:I couldn't really be sure of how much I'd pay, just not sure so don't wish to make comment.

Thanks for the advise I will have a look into that, but I gotta save some money now as I'm skint lol :(

ashleygreen

Postby ashleygreen » Sat Jun 29, 2013 18:00 pm

Kowalski675 wrote:Classy looking bike - like it.

Kowalski675

Re: Building my new YETI ASR 7 (NOW BUILT)

Postby Kowalski675 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 23:24 pm

You're welcome, lol.

Pnev

Postby Pnev » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:42 am

Lovely bike, with that build spec new, you'd be looking at 3.5k

Ill give you a grand for it

ashleygreen

Postby ashleygreen » Sun Jun 30, 2013 21:32 pm

Pnev wrote:
Ill give you a grand for it

Ha ha lol I just sold my old one for a grand. Nice try :D

Return to “Your Mountain Bikes”