Hope/stans wheel set + added superstar Trizoid question

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
frankspencer1979

Hope/stans wheel set + added superstar Trizoid question

Postby frankspencer1979 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 15:03 pm

I'm considering a wheel upgrade and am thinking along the lines of the above set from the likes of CRC/Wiggle/Merlin etc'. I'm not a fatty or into big jumps and that so should be strong enough and lighter than my current set. Also want something worthy of being moved onto a new frame next year.

I've gotten myself confused now though as they are touted as tubeless rims. Can I just run them with tubes from standard as I can't be @rsed with the extra hassle at the moment or am I better off with an alternative? Does this type of build come ready to go onto the bike (aside from fitting discs and cassette?)

Also, at the same time, is it worth upgrading disc rotors from 160mm to 180mm? Does this increase stopping power or does it just help with heat dissipation?

Thanks for any advice :D
Last edited by frankspencer1979 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 21:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

supersonic
Lives Here

Re: Hope hoops/Stans Crest wheelset

Postby supersonic » Sun Sep 30, 2012 15:22 pm

They can be run with tubes or tubeless: for the latter you need the valve kit and rim strip/tape. What is your current wheelset? (and cassette?)

The rotors will increase stopping power for a given lever effort, and dissipate heat better.

70\'sPenguin

Postby 70\'sPenguin » Sun Sep 30, 2012 15:23 pm

They are not tubeless rims, but are tubeless ready with Stans<insert other> rim tape. Save money and get the superstar deal for £200! Yes you can put tubes in them. You can put tubes in anything really designed to take a regular tyre.

Yes 180 will slow you more if put on the front. Not worth it on the back - stick to 160. The heat thing wont affect you unless you are going DH fast so dont worry about it.

felix.london

Postby felix.london » Sun Sep 30, 2012 16:13 pm

As above. If you're after a set of Crest's you'd be crazy not to do the Superstar deal - will save yourself about £100 I should think. Swicth EVO's are very decent hubs too.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=496

I got a set (of the Flow's) and I don't even have a frame to put them on...yet :wink:
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

frankspencer1979

Postby frankspencer1979 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 16:45 pm

Supersonic: My current set is WTB speed discs with WTB hubs and SRAM 10 spd cassette (exact model unknown as I'm at work at the moment,) just the standard stuff that came on the bike. I've serviced the hubs a couple of times recently to remove play, the cups are a bit discoloured and slightly rough, especially the front. I tried new bearings with no joy.

70\'sPenguin: That's what I thought about the heat thing, not sure I ride hard enough for that, but if there's a general improvement in stopping power I might give it a go. I just need the relevant spacers for the caliper?

And I would be mental not to go with Superstar wouldn't I!

felix.london

Postby felix.london » Sun Sep 30, 2012 16:54 pm

Btw - I had to replace my rear 160mm rotor with a 180mm but I'm riding some very long, steep & gnarly descents so the rear rotor/brake was getting seriously over heated. Huge improvement now with 180 front and back and a switch from Deore to SLX brakes
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

frankspencer1979

Re: Hope/Stans Crest wheelset

Postby frankspencer1979 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 21:11 pm

I've been looking at Superstars options, it all gets pretty confusing. There's a wheelset deal offering the Trizoid hubs for £150, but one of the reviews says the rear hub is difficult to service, does anyone know owt about this?

And has anyone got experience with the Tesla hubs?

Cat With No Tail

Re: Hope/stans wheel set + added superstar Trizoid question

Postby Cat With No Tail » Mon Oct 01, 2012 21:57 pm

It's a very easy hub to service (Trizoid).

Whoever said it was hard to do is a retard.

Superb hubs, can't recommend them enough.

frankspencer1979

Postby frankspencer1979 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 06:30 am

Cat With No Tail wrote:It's a very easy hub to service (Trizoid).

Ha, well that's that then eh! The reviewer mentioned something about £35 bearings and needing a special tool? Maybe he's a special tool. Think I might go for this set then, xc rims on trizoids, £150.

jairaj

Postby jairaj » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:36 am

I have the Switch Evo hubs which are a similar design. They are easy to service I've replaced bearings and changed a broken freehub and both were easy. Can take a little time at first but each step is easy enough.

Bearings will eventually wear out and require replacing in any hub. Nothing lasts forever. The ones in my current
Superstar hub have lasted 2 and a bit years before they needed replacing.

Most hubs that use cartridge bearings need a bearing press tool to insert new bearings in. Old ones can just be knocked out, doesn't matter if they get damaged as they are being replaced.

Any hub you buy will require these steps so you can't count it as a disadvantage to this particular hub.

Cat With No Tail

Postby Cat With No Tail » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:55 am

frankspencer1979 wrote:
Cat With No Tail wrote:It's a very easy hub to service (Trizoid).

Ha, well that's that then eh! The reviewer mentioned something about £35 bearings and needing a special tool? Maybe he's a special tool. Think I might go for this set then, xc rims on trizoids, £150.

He is clearly a proper window licker.

You CAN spend £35 on bearings if you wish, but there is certainly no need to do so. They're just standard cartridge bearings, can be picked up for not much money at all. The bearings they provide as standard can be a bit....... meh, but they are a disposable item.

I've never needed any special tools to service mine (apart from a couple of spanners to remove the end caps on the X12 hub). They're some of the easiest hubs I've ever dealt with, next to DT swiss, which require nothing but your own hands.

SuperstarComponents.com

Postby SuperstarComponents.com » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:30 pm

The very first Superleggera hubs (which became trizoid on Mk3) needed a tool to remove the drivering. We do this free of charge in the workshop if needed, but anything hub bought in the last 18 months and onwards needs no special tools at all to work on.

Tesla is our new high end hub. Biggest feature is super expensive SKF bearings as standard, plus a bombproof 60 points of engagement which will stand up to anything you throw at it. Sort of sits in the same product level as the Trizoids but from a different angle.

Any questions just let me know, Neil (Superstar)

frankspencer1979

Postby frankspencer1979 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 14:29 pm

Cheers superstar man. So this wheelset

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=227

is the older hub that needs the special tool?

paulneenan76

Postby paulneenan76 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 21:55 pm

Ordered mine, came quick, fitted today along with new rear derailleur. Look great, sounds great (love the fee hub noise) and most importantly - feel great. You won't be disappointed. Oh , and of course, free Haribo :^)
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

white91

Postby white91 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:55 pm

I'm pretty sure 160mm rotor is enough for most, except the DH and alps.

mrmonkfinger

Postby mrmonkfinger » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:56 pm

frankspencer1979 wrote:Cheers superstar man. So this wheelset

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=227

is the older hub that needs the special tool?

SuperstarComponents.com wrote:but anything hub bought in the last 18 months and onwards needs no special tools at all to work on.

mrmonkfinger

Postby mrmonkfinger » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:58 pm

Cat With No Tail wrote:You CAN spend £35 on bearings if you wish, but there is certainly no need to do so. They're just standard cartridge bearings, can be picked up for not much money at all. The bearings they provide as standard can be a bit....... meh, but they are a disposable item.

Out of interest, where are you getting bearings from?

Cat With No Tail

Postby Cat With No Tail » Thu Oct 04, 2012 13:11 pm

I know I've had some off simplybearings.co.uk before. And one of the shops on ebay, can't remember who though off the top of my head though.

mrmonkfinger

Postby mrmonkfinger » Fri Oct 05, 2012 14:56 pm

Cat With No Tail wrote:I know I've had some off simplybearings.co.uk before. And one of the shops on ebay, can't remember who though off the top of my head though.

KaTeC?

Return to “MTB Buying Advice”