Warmest winter gloves & gear - for a severe Raynauld's rider

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
itguy2

Warmest winter gloves & gear - for a severe Raynauld's rider

Postby itguy2 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 17:19 pm

Hi everyone

Since I was 24 (now 33) ive suffered with rhumatoid arthritis and Raynauld's Phenominon quite severely in my hands.

My RA is under control (no pain or swelling) but the Raynauld's just won't relent, regardless of medication or diet changes.

So - for anyone who doesn't know, Raynaulds is severe lack of blood flow (in my case to the hands), resulting in purple, then white fingers and thumbs, getting to the point of no feeling what so ever. This happens for me in anything below 15c inc windchill (ie 20c but windchill makes it 15c).

So as you can imagine I own very warm everything to try to combat it - base layers, gloves, hat, jersey etc but still my hands go numb if I go out in anything freezing or lower.

I refuse to let it beat me, so.... What are the BEST WARMEST gloves and gear? MTB, Road and Commute, but, ideally MTB first then I'd use that stuff to commute too.

Ps - any other sufferers?!
-----------------
Lapierre Zesty 514 &
Orange Crush 2010

bennett_346

Re: Warmest winter gloves & gear - for a severe Raynauld's r

Postby bennett_346 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 17:26 pm

Fox Antifreeze are excellent from my personal experience. I've dipped my hands in freezing ponds for several minutes then carried on riding in sub zero air temperatures for hours afterwards without much discomfort.

itguy2

Postby itguy2 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 17:33 pm

I should have probably said what I already have;

Sealskins winter glove - http://www.sealskinz.com/index.php?main ... ucts_id=40

These are ok for me down to about 0, but need something better!

On my motorbike I use Exo heated 12v gloves which are ok, again not amazing but better than nothing.

I've asked my wife for a polar buff, merino tights and long sleeve base layer top for Xmas too!
-----------------
Lapierre Zesty 514 &
Orange Crush 2010

thistle (MBNW)

Postby thistle (MBNW) » Sun Dec 02, 2012 17:35 pm

I've heard people suggest a pair of latex gloves or even marigolds under a pair of bike gloves for when it's really cold.

I tried the marigolds once when it was about -5 and had to keep stopping to empty the sweat out of them :roll: My hands were warm but I think I'll look for another solution next time.

paulyh101

Postby paulyh101 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 17:58 pm

The fox are by far the best i have tried and i do suffer with cold hands

Sluggster

Postby Sluggster » Sun Dec 02, 2012 18:11 pm

I have some waterproof Endura gloves, I also have some windproof Endura gloves. Neither really seem that impressive.

The waterproof pair are not waterproof over a couple of hours and my fingers begin to get cold once the water starts to get through - that at about 5C. I'm told that most waterproof gloves don't remain waterproof on longer rides and that it's best to take a couple of pairs with you. The new Endura neoprene gloves will, apparently, keep you warm but make your hands smell and I imagine they will work in a similar way to a wet suit. I'm getting a pair to try.

The windproof pair don't initially feel very warm, they eventually become acceptable but actually do not really keep me warm until I've ridden a few km - at 0C.

I'm going to try the Gore Alp X waterproof gloves to see if they work any better.

I would have thought some mitts, with a marino wool inner glove would be a good bet for your situation. Not great for anything technical but (possibly) warm and waterproof.

Ber Nard

Postby Ber Nard » Sun Dec 02, 2012 18:16 pm

I suffer from Raynauld's as well, though not as badly as you by the sounds of it. Cold hands stop me riding in the winter before anything else.

This year it has finally dawned on me that I could wear the 'best' gloves on the market and still get cold hands and the solution is to keep my torso and arms toasty. My reasoning is that if my body is cold then it's not going to send blood to the extremities if it can help it. If my core temperature is high, cold hands aren't such a problem.

A good long sleeve base layer, long sleeve jersey and a soft shell jacket that is wind proof/thermal on the arms as well as the body helps no end.

Rob

Clank

Postby Clank » Sun Dec 02, 2012 18:56 pm

I recall seeing these guys on Dragons Den - looks like they've fianlly made it to market:
http://www.alago.co.uk/sports/full-fingered

Interesting idea but at the moment of limited working time (an hour of heat available)

I've known a couple of Rayaulds sufferers who have ended up with electrcally heated gloves to comabt cold hands - and there's quite a few of those on the market now exploiting the new conductive textiles - possibley worth looking into.
How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.

itguy2

Postby itguy2 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 20:24 pm

Clank wrote:I recall seeing these guys on Dragons Den - looks like they've fianlly made it to market:
http://www.alago.co.uk/sports/full-fingered

Interesting idea but at the moment of limited working time (an hour of heat available)

I've known a couple of Rayaulds sufferers who have ended up with electrcally heated gloves to comabt cold hands - and there's quite a few of those on the market now exploiting the new conductive textiles - possibley worth looking into.

Interesting, not seen those before. Needs to be a few hours but could always buy two pairs!

I do have some battery (AA) gloves but they're terrible, not worth bothering with. The only heated gloves I've found any good are the 12v motorbike ones.
-----------------
Lapierre Zesty 514 &
Orange Crush 2010

Clank

Postby Clank » Sun Dec 02, 2012 22:07 pm

itguy2 wrote:[
I do have some battery (AA) gloves but they're terrible, not worth bothering with. The only heated gloves I've found any good are the 12v motorbike ones.

My mum had a set about 30 years ago - it used the battery pack from a miners pit lamp (it was *huge*)! Things have progressed, at least! :lol:
How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.

Northwind

Postby Northwind » Sun Dec 02, 2012 23:14 pm

EXO motorbike gloves are pish, btw- if you want proper heated gloves, Gerbing or Klan.

I've got poor circulation though not Reynaulds so less severe... Fox Antifreeze work for me, no other pushbike glove I've tried has got close. Warming up the arms helps too as you probably know, and keeping well fed- fuel the boiler and lag the pipes.

Got a set of Perfect Curve Glaciers on their way- supposed to be very warm but sweaty.

I don't think it helps that a lot of people's idea of cold weather isn't actually very cold... I took advice from a chap for one pair last year, he just casually mentioned now that he doesn't expect to ride his bike at all for the next 2 months as it's "too cold for riding".
Uncompromising extremist

zanush

Postby zanush » Mon Dec 03, 2012 01:11 am

I suffer from Raynauld's too, maybe not as severe as you do but it is a rather annoying condition where just touching a cold car door can set it off for me at this time of year :( I've been wearing altura night vision waterproof gloves with liner and a pair of latex gloves underneath which seems to work 90% of the time for me. If i'm at home before i go out on the bike i'll warm the gloves up on the radiators before putting them on :wink:
Boardman Fs Team
Felt F95

jonomc4

Postby jonomc4 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 06:08 am

I just use a pair of silk under gloves for when it goes below 5 degrees

dmorton

Postby dmorton » Mon Dec 03, 2012 09:47 am

Ber Nard wrote: the solution is to keep my torso and arms toasty. My reasoning is that if my body is cold then it's not going to send blood to the extremities if it can help it. If my core temperature is high, cold hands aren't such a problem.

This is the advice I'd give, plus some good gloves

KINGGARY

Postby KINGGARY » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:42 am

Keep your core warm and your hands/feet will look after themselves, as mentioned no gloves no matter how warm seem to keep my hands warm unless my core is warm.
I mainly ride rode and suffer with bad circulation and chilblains, I have tried numerous ways during winter to stop my hands from becoming one large painfull lump. The best way I have found is a combination of layering gloves (liners/outers , not latex as your hands will sweat and may cause dermatitis ) a good base layer/jacket/roubaix tights and keep your cadence high for the first few miles while warming up to get the blood to your extremities.

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:02 pm

They re not cycling specific but Buffalo tops are extremely good, very very warm

Alternatively look for jackets filled with Primaloft. I know Mavic do a cycling specific one but there are several mountaineering versions available. I ve a Rab one and it's the best jacket I ve owned, it's as warm as down, but stays warm when wet, packs down nice and small and doesn't make me look like the Michelin man. For total warmth, that's the way forward IMO.
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

.blitz

Postby .blitz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:23 pm

Would agree with the Fox Antifreeze recommendations. I don't usually get cold hands but I used them down to -15 during the winter of 2010-2011 and I had to take them off sometimes my hands were boiling.

Another (expensive) option is Asso's Winter Glove System viewtopic.php?p=16773341

I have the inner glove & they are freakily warm - warmer than the Antifreeze imo - but not waterproof.

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Mon Dec 03, 2012 16:28 pm

itguy2 wrote:Ps - any other sufferers?!

Yep :?

I shall watch this thread with interest!!

Just had a look at the Fox Antifreeze gloves and no extra small sizes :( I have this problem with winter gloves - the smallest ones I have are still too big and I really struggle to change gear whilst wearing them as there's about 2cm of glove left where my fingers end!!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

itguy2

Postby itguy2 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 17:09 pm

Thanks everyone - some really interesting stuff there.

The fox antifreeze ones sound like they're really good - might need to change my christmas order :)

miss notax - my wife has very small hands too and she has some specialized fingerless gloves but was looking at some gore wear ones that were XXS - might be worth checking out (they were winter gloves)
-----------------
Lapierre Zesty 514 &
Orange Crush 2010

jairaj

Postby jairaj » Mon Dec 03, 2012 17:22 pm

Mittens keep your fingers warmer as they keep your fingers together and increase the body mass to surface area ratio.

Obviously these wont work on bike but might be worth having a look at some of the semi-mitten designs like such:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/clothing/gloves/product/review-pearl-izumi-amfib-lobster-27902

Not saying that exact model but that style, I think a few companies offer them now?

Return to “MTB Buying Advice”