Body armour needed me thinks.

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
RockmonkeySC

Re: Body armour needed me thinks.

Postby RockmonkeySC » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:32 am

It doesn't have the rigidity to prevent your sping getting bent around a full camel back.

peter413

Postby peter413 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:52 am

Huh? The bladder is just going to burst anyway but if it can't do anything against a bag how is it going to do anything against say a tree or a rock? Not saying I can't be convinced but I would need to see proof of that fact before I was.

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:19 pm

Ok a pressure suit is seriously too much armor. Im not even sure itll protect you any more than standard armor for xc tbh.

Irvs

Postby Irvs » Wed Dec 05, 2012 13:58 pm

Hey guys I think my questions have opened a can of worms here! I had said I don't wear any armour for the XC races, It would be pointless and uncomfortable. I'm looking for ideas for armour for enduro races, ill be wearing a full face helmet but no neck brace. As someone mentioned above I don't bounce as well as I used to and pick up injuries easier because of previous sports.

Neil.

RockmonkeySC

Postby RockmonkeySC » Wed Dec 05, 2012 14:36 pm

Enduro is still closer to XC than downhill. Just get some good quality knee & elbow pads and a good helmet.

jairaj

Postby jairaj » Wed Dec 05, 2012 14:38 pm

Good thing about body armour is that it's modular so you can buy as much or as little of it as you think is right for your needs. Its quite a personal choice so hard to recommend exact models. But have a browse on the usual suspects websites 661, POC, EVOC, Dainese. I have some of the POC stuff and find its very good. Its expensive but I think its worth it.

But I still think skills course would be the correct way of fixing the problem and would be my first port of call followed by some basic armour. Learning how to better handle the bike on the more technical terrain so you fall over a lot less is surely better than still falling over lots but hoping your armour can reduce the forces enough so not to significantly hurt you?

Irvs

Postby Irvs » Wed Dec 05, 2012 17:07 pm

Cheers for the advice much appreciated ill have a look at the brands you listed.

Neil.

marz

Postby marz » Wed Dec 05, 2012 17:30 pm

bennett_346 wrote:
cooldad wrote:Skills.

Skills don't stop you falling off.

Skills help more than body armour does.

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 18:23 pm

marz wrote:
bennett_346 wrote:

No they don't. You're saying the better you are the less you fall off? If anything the more skilled you are the faster and harder you are likely to come off. By that logic beginners should sustain much worse injuries than professional racers which is the opposite of the case.

Think before you speak.

Torres

Postby Torres » Wed Dec 05, 2012 20:05 pm

Peter was actually talking a bit of sense there. Yes many people will say a full suit of armor is over the top for trail riding; however that's only an opinion.

If you fall and an armored part of your body its something solid then the blow from the impact will be reduced; so if you personally see a benefit from being armored to the teeth "just in case" then that's completely fine. You really need to try some stuff on and see how it feels, how hot it gets and how it restricts your movement; then you make a call based on this.

And claiming that enduro is more xc than dh is debatable. Any discipline where going down is weighted more than going up is always going to be closer to dh in my book.
What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 20:11 pm

Unless you have brittle bone disease or something wearing a pressure suit for xc is just silly, grow a pair.

Torres

Postby Torres » Wed Dec 05, 2012 20:46 pm

You also forget that our man here is starting to race enduro, so we aren't really talking about xc.

On a side note, it also depends on your definition of xc, how hard you ride and what each individual believes to be an appropriate level of protection. Personally I wouldn't wear a pressure suit for trail riding, or even up in the mountains; but if someone chose to do so with just reasoning then I wouldn't look down on them or insult them.

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 20:49 pm

Torres wrote:You also forget that our man here is starting to race enduro, so we aren't really talking about xc.

On a side note, it also depends on your definition of xc, how hard you ride and what each individual believes to be an appropriate level of protection. Personally I wouldn't wear a pressure suit for trail riding, or even up in the mountains; but if someone chose to do so with just reasoning then I wouldn't look down on them or insult them.

I would.

RockmonkeySC

Postby RockmonkeySC » Thu Dec 06, 2012 09:49 am

Torres wrote:And claiming that enduro is more xc than dh is debatable. Any discipline where going down is weighted more than going up is always going to be closer to dh in my book.

The trails are not as extreme as downhill tracks and the speeds aren't as high. Because downhill races are only 2-4 minute sprints you are pushing as hard as possible from start to finish with less room for error and you're on a bike which can take pretty extreme abuse and do huge jumps.
Enduro is on trail bikes and on less extreme trails and races are much longer so you're not pushing as hard, jumps are optional and smaller, you're not hitting the same sort of speeds through rock gardens and technical sections.
I did one at Forest of Dean and a lot of XC riders were comparing it to downhill but it was actually a long way off and a lot more tame but physcally tougher.

Torres

Postby Torres » Thu Dec 06, 2012 17:32 pm

It doesn't matter how "extreme" the track is; you can break bones on trail center level stuff, hell you can break a bone on any track.

So in an event where my time comes from putting in the effort downhill I'd personally always pad up more, even if I'd ridden the trails a thousand times on a rigid. Riding on the limit of ones ability can cause crashes which will hurt on any trail.

marz

Postby marz » Thu Dec 06, 2012 18:34 pm

bennett_346 wrote:
marz wrote:
bennett_346 wrote:

No they don't. You're saying the better you are the less you fall off? If anything the more skilled you are the faster and harder you are likely to come off. By that logic beginners should sustain much worse injuries than professional racers which is the opposite of the case.

Think before you speak.

Beginners sustain more injures than pro's, but yes, when pro's have accidents they are often worse due to higher speeds or more extreme terrain.
But for the beginner improved skills will be far more advantageous than body armour.
Take two riders, one beginner and one pro, dress 'em both in the same gear and ask 'em to ride together. Which one do you think is more likely to sustain an injury?

Don't overtax your wee brain in working this one out.

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 19:11 pm

marz wrote:
bennett_346 wrote:
marz wrote:
bennett_346 wrote:

Think before you speak.

Beginners sustain more injures than pro's, but yes, when pro's have accidents they are often worse due to higher speeds or more extreme terrain.
But for the beginner improved skills will be far more advantageous than body armour.
Take two riders, one beginner and one pro, dress 'em both in the same gear and ask 'em to ride together. Which one do you think is more likely to sustain an injury?

Don't overtax your wee brain in working this one out.

You're essentially asking a question i've already explained.

marz

Postby marz » Thu Dec 06, 2012 21:45 pm

bennett_346 wrote:You're essentially asking a question i've already explained.

Not really, you suggested that additional skills do not lead to less accidents and injuries. A point I disagree with.

So either you're wrong or you've failed to explain your position correctly.

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 21:52 pm

I'm not gonna try and justify it because i can't really be bothered.

RockmonkeySC

Postby RockmonkeySC » Fri Dec 07, 2012 09:55 am

No matter how skilled you are, if you are riding at the limits of your ability you are just as likely to crash. A more skilled rider will crash at much higher speeds.

Return to “MTB Buying Advice”