Upgrading a hard tail xc bike with a full suss frame?

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
stubbo66

Re: Upgrading a hard tail xc bike with a full suss frame?

Postby stubbo66 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 23:50 pm

Lol, always get the spelling wrong on that, taped vs tapped !

stubbo66

Postby stubbo66 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 04:05 am

So I think I've narrowed down the options I'm comfortable with that I can easily upgrade and keep most of my existing bike.

The Titus X Carbon, still debating whether an rp23 would be a better bet than the monarch.
The Specialized S-Works FSR Epic.

On the epic I'd need to convert my 240s rear hub to 142 X12 which costs about £40, then I'll need to find the right model press fit BB for my XTR cranks. Next I need to find the right model of FSA headset for the frame. Finally I'll need a new seat post as well. So beyond the frame I'm looking at around another £130 or so to get everything hooked up.

On the titus I'd need a new headset and seatpost (I can reuse my XTR BB from my old frame) so looking at an additional £60 roughly with the possible future expense of the rp23 upgrade.

So given the titus all in would cost sub £700 and the Epic will cost roughly £1450 and they will be almost identical weights, how much difference will I really notice between these two.

As much as I could push the boat out for the epic I think I may be better served with the Titus.

Any more sage advice?

stubbo66

Postby stubbo66 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 04:15 am

I should also qualify this by saying this bike will probably be the lesser used of my two bikes this year as I imagine most of the events I will be doing would benefit from my new hard tail 29er (Kinesis FF29) I've just finished building and this full susser is going to be aimed at the rougher xc rides I'll be doing.

So I may be answering my own question and saying it doesn't warrant the extra expense of the epic but I'd still like to get the best ride I can, especially as there are lots of big hills (and descents) on these events I'll be using it on.

VWsurfbum

Postby VWsurfbum » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:56 pm

Not riden the titus, but that would be my choice, i like my mates epic, but it does nothing for me.
Over the pond they love the Monach shock, so dont write it off just yet.

stubbo66

Postby stubbo66 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 16:42 pm

Yeah, I certainly won't replace the monarch unless it doesn't work well or feel right. It may also depend on which years model it is or whether they would exchange it for an rp23 at the point of sale as well.

I'll mull it over for another week or two before taking the plunge.

stubbo66

Postby stubbo66 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 23:20 pm

Does anyone know what version, size and stroke the Monarch shock is as sold with the titus x carbon frame?

stubbo66

Postby stubbo66 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 23:32 pm

Scratch that, it's the RT3.

Return to “MTB Buying Advice”