29ers for girls?!

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
lostboysaint

Re: 29ers for girls?!

Postby lostboysaint » Mon Jan 07, 2013 17:36 pm

I'll say again, speak to Isla at Islabikes. She's a girl, she's a phenomenal cyclist, she has her own bike range and she rides an Islabikes Beinn 29er. So not only a very light (lighter than anything linked above) bike, admittedly with a rigid fork - but one that you know has been designed and specified by someone who knows what they are doing, and without the massive bike co. overheads to cover! Excellent VFM.
Trail fun - Transition Bandit
Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur
Allround - Cotic Solaris

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Mon Jan 07, 2013 18:17 pm

We heard you the first time...she wants options, yours is one.
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Clank

Postby Clank » Mon Jan 07, 2013 18:51 pm

nferrar wrote:What riding style change do they require? I've ridden 26" FS since the mid-90s and have demo'd a Giant Anthem & Trance recently and whilst they do feel a bit different I don't see why you need to adapt your riding style (at least conciously). In fact the main reason I haven't bought one was they feel so similar to my existing FS (my intention was to get a light short-travel FS 29er for doing the odd marathon type event on instead of my 140mm 26er that's the wrong side of 30lbs). Even the Giant Anthem didn't feel massively different, the Trance less so - the main difference in feel likely being down to suspension set-up and tyres IMO.
As for the OP - just look at men's bikes

Tyres, suspension set up, and geometry. What's your current full-suss, if you don't mind me asking?

I find my Anthem will try and 'push-on' coming out of a bend - giving the impression of the front washing out. It's not. I think it's a combination of reduced slide at the rear, the inherent stability of the longer wheelbase, and the increased speed I find on exiting the corner (I don't scrub as much speed 'off throttle' as I do on a 26er). I think that playing with tyres will fix it (in line with your comment, really), but that takes time and money. So, in the meantime, as Vincent said - 'improvise, adapt, overcome, evolve'. :lol:

Interestingly, I found the same thing true when I changed from a LR90 to a 110 for rallying. Driving styles needed changing - it worked, though. SOme folk however, find adapting a very natural and unconscious thing. I struggle like b******d! :lol:

At the end of the day, I really do like the Anthem - it wasn't what I was looking for when I started, though!
How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.

nferrar

Postby nferrar » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:06 pm

My main bike is a Zesty, although I also have a rigid ss 29er (Genesis Fortitude). Don't get me wrong there were definitely different ride characteristics I just don't think anyone needs to really change their 'style' to accommodate one (no more so than you need to change your style when switching tyres from say a Racing Ralph to a Hans Dampf).

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 14:45 pm

Clank wrote:I find my Anthem will try and 'push-on' coming out of a bend - giving the impression of the front washing out. It's not. I think it's a combination of reduced slide at the rear, the inherent stability of the longer wheelbase, and the increased speed I find on exiting the corner (I don't scrub as much speed 'off throttle' as I do on a 26er). I think that playing with tyres will fix it (in line with your comment, really),

You neglected the increased gyroscopic effect of a larger wheel as well.......

Return to “MTB Buying Advice”