Rear light to keep freaky drivers off my ass

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
Murphybarnes

Re: Rear light to keep freaky drivers off my ass

Postby Murphybarnes » Tue Jan 29, 2013 15:42 pm

Ordered the Phaart half watter for silly money from Planet X. Threw in some silly On One socks to make the postage worth while too.
Voodoo Hoodoo

Ouija

Postby Ouija » Tue Jan 29, 2013 18:48 pm

Ordered both Phaarts the other day and they've both turned up today (quick or what). The single phaart is pretty crap as it spends most of it's time blinking it's two (extremely dim) lower led's and then does a single momentary flash of the big 0.5w, meaning your in darkness for most of the time (probably saves on batteries though). The double 0.5w phaart, on the other hand, is brilliant. Either both on, both flash in unison or ping pong bang and forth between each other so that it's always putting out lots of light. Probably go through the batteries quicker but there's no chance of anyone failing to see you.

ride_whenever

Postby ride_whenever » Tue Jan 29, 2013 18:52 pm

The shield is simply my favourite rear light, closely followed by the comet. The shield straps on and off really easily, the brackets are durable and no noticeable drop in battery life after a year or so. Plus it's usb rechargable so you can charge it at work and save on power entirely.

It is so much brighter than the 1/2 watt lights it's unreal!

The comet is similar but doesn't project a beam so is a brilliant be seen light as it has 180 degree visibility.

Murphybarnes

Postby Murphybarnes » Fri Feb 01, 2013 18:44 pm

Ouija wrote:Ordered both Phaarts the other day and they've both turned up today (quick or what). The single phaart is pretty crap as it spends most of it's time blinking it's two (extremely dim) lower led's and then does a single momentary flash of the big 0.5w, meaning your in darkness for most of the time (probably saves on batteries though). The double 0.5w phaart, on the other hand, is brilliant. Either both on, both flash in unison or ping pong bang and forth between each other so that it's always putting out lots of light. Probably go through the batteries quicker but there's no chance of anyone failing to see you.

Your right, Stevie Wonder couldn't miss it. Result.
Voodoo Hoodoo

Batmo

Postby Batmo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 19:46 pm

Wondering about the person responsible for naming the two models; Bleep and Booster were strip cartoon characters from 1970s Blue Peter annuals.

Not sure who is sadder, them for naming or me for knowing...
Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
HP Velotechnik Spirit
Brompton M6
Specialized Camber Comp

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Fri Feb 01, 2013 20:37 pm

The Beginner wrote:
Rolf F wrote: Besides, 2 half watts = one 1 watt

No they don't, first point of failure.

Most LED's are limited be peak battery current anyway and get nowhere near the power drawer or lumens advertised.

The 2W Moon Shield is seriously bright and I don't doubt that the 60lumens is close to real comparing it to 2 other torches of similar capability with big batteries.

But simply not necessary. There comes a point when enough is really enough! The point I was getting at about the half watt is that it really is enough to make you visible in traffic. You don't need to keep upping the output. Two half watts don't equal a 1 watt - they are greater than a 1 watt; ultimately, 2 good lights will make us more visible than one better light. If we just keep demanding more watts, where does it get us? Once we are visible, we are visible. The only thing that worries me about my back lighting (currently one half and one one watt Smart) is whether the batteries are still doing their job.
Faster than a tent.......

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 07:55 am

A 1Watt light is visible at a greater distance than a 1/2Watt, having 2 1/2Watts doesn't stop that.

Also 2 1/2watts are not each as bright, the moon Shield at 60lumen (claimed anyway) is massively brighter than 1/2Watt lights, I dare say the OP is visible now, doesn't stop them sitting on his arris, psychology comes into play, a driver sits further back from a brighter light as they tend to use brightness as an arbiter of distance, cars definitely sit further back now I have the shield.

Neal_

Postby Neal_ » Sat Feb 02, 2013 15:09 pm

Ouija wrote:Ordered both Phaarts the other day and they've both turned up today (quick or what). The single phaart is pretty crap as it spends most of it's time blinking it's two (extremely dim) lower led's and then does a single momentary flash of the big 0.5w, meaning your in darkness for most of the time (probably saves on batteries though). The double 0.5w phaart, on the other hand, is brilliant. Either both on, both flash in unison or ping pong bang and forth between each other so that it's always putting out lots of light. Probably go through the batteries quicker but there's no chance of anyone failing to see you.

I've got two of the RSP (Raleigh) versions of the Phaart Bleep (2xhalf watt), one on the back of my lid usually on solid and the other on my seatpost flashing alternatively which I'm assured by everyone is annoyingly bright so I got relegated to the back of the group on the road sections between trails and cars seem to give me a wide berth when I'm on my own. I use Sanyo Eneloop AAA's which get recharged infrequently and I'm yet to have the lights shut off or dim significantly

Murphybarnes

Postby Murphybarnes » Sat Feb 02, 2013 20:18 pm

Batmo wrote:Wondering about the person responsible for naming the two models; Bleep and Booster were strip cartoon characters from 1970s Blue Peter annuals.

Not sure who is sadder, them for naming or me for knowing...

Ah, Lesley Fud...... :?
Voodoo Hoodoo

Murphybarnes

Postby Murphybarnes » Sat Feb 02, 2013 20:26 pm

Anyway, the Phaart bleep dual is super bright and comes with a Euro Emergency Service type flash thingy, which is nice. No idea on battery useage but it's AAA so let's not hold our breath. For £2.50, who gives a toss......I must remember that as the green oval stamps itself to my forehead.
Voodoo Hoodoo

Return to “MTB Buying Advice”