a full sus as fast as hardtail?

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
futon river crossing

Postby futon river crossing » Tue May 29, 2007 09:32 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitedragon101</i>

I can get a 2006 Pisgah frame for œ800 but not for long. Is this an awesome frame to go for?

I don't want to get a frame and then hear someone say, "nice bike, shame you didn't buy frame X or Y which is better."
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Someone will allways say that -

Can you test ride it? I wouldn't buy something I hadn't ridden.

My Bike

http://angelafung.net/my_bike.jpg

Hamishwmb

Postby Hamishwmb » Tue May 29, 2007 10:58 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitedragon101</i>

I am now wondering if any of the dual sus bikes with lighter frames and fancy suspension could compete with the speed and tight feel of a hardtail on the flat but soak up the bumps cross country?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

To answer the first part of your question - not really. Competing with the speed and tight feel on the flat is not the main point of full suss. You don't get the same speed from pumping the bike out of the bends/dips either. To answer the second part of your question - yes. Short travel full sussers are very good at soaking up the bumps on the ups and downs.

It really depends on what you ride. If it's pretty flat/smooth stuff then HT would be better. If it's bumpier then full suss can have a lot of advantages.

Personally speaking, I'm quicker on my full suss around most of the trails I ride but we have a lot of rough stuff in Scotland where the extra comfort/traction and ability to stay seated, therefore conserving your energy on climbs helps a lot. There are some trail sections where I actually use full travel on the ups as the improved traction/smoothness is more useful than any loss in power. And the full suss benefits on the downs are just great. You can still go fast on a HT but it really tires you out quicker.

But, as everyone has said, it really depends on what you use it for.

--

<i>"Hamish, that is one of the most sensible posts i've read on this forum!" - Futureboy 21/05/2007 06:31:46 </i>

<font size="1"><b>Some of my biking photos</b></font id="size1"> <font size="1"><font color="black"><b>flickr </b>- <b>The Flying Pie</b></font id="black"></font id="size1"> <font color="red"><font size="1"><b>my bike</b></font id="size1"></font id="red">

whitedragon101

Postby whitedragon101 » Wed May 30, 2007 11:05 am

I think I have come down in the hardtail camp then but before I continue knocking myself out trying to track down a 2006 Litespeed Pisgah frame I would be grateful if anyone can shed light on the following.

http://www.litespeed.com/bikes/2006/mtn/pisgah_.aspx

1) I am used to riding a GT Avalanche. In these bikes the top tube seems to slope down quite a bit and the back end is quite small. However the Pisgah as you can see from the link has a more straight across top tube and the back is a bit larger (kind of like a Giant XTC). Does anyone have an idea what the differing ride characteristics will be with the different shape?

I am a little worried that straight top tube means "smooth ride handles like a bus, don't race it" and the sloped one is the "racing fast handling shape."

2) Is there a major difference between the
3/2.5 titanium and the 6Al/4V titanium ?

Thanks

DSA244

Postby DSA244 » Wed May 30, 2007 13:33 pm

I recently changed to a full suss and so glad I did you won't go back if you change.

I agree with the above though if you do decide on a full suss you should be looking at the top of your budget. I can thoroughly recommend the Stmpy 07. Any decent full suss will have pro pedal and a lock out setting to compensate your HT needs. Yes I know the bike weighs more, but so much easier to ride, especially on theose bumpy climbs and descents as the grip is far better.

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Wed May 30, 2007 13:48 pm

1) This bike is more of a racer than the GT. See long upper tube and steep head angle.

2)http://spokesmanbicycles.com/page.cfm?PageID=328

My next hardtail is going to be Titanium...

Marin Eldridge Grade 07
GT Avalanche 1.0 07

madmole

Postby madmole » Wed May 30, 2007 14:07 pm

I went FS. it was lighter than my HT. definitely faster on climbs as it grips better and doesnt spin out. Feels great on the flat (tyres make more diference)

Do try a Marin FS. 06 versions going for a song at the moment

Marin Mount Vision 2005. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XT, Easton 70 bars, ODI rogues, KMC Chain, various bling

whitedragon101

Postby whitedragon101 » Wed May 30, 2007 18:23 pm

Ok last question guys, promise:

I'm going for the Litespeed Pisgah hardtail and am spec-ing bike components as we speak (1 hour till purchase time :) )

Which brakes do I go for, Hope Mono M4 or Hope Mono Mini? I have tried Mono M4 but I'm wondering is the mini's can compete power wise?

also whats this fixed or floating disc business? and black or braided hose?

Futureboy

Postby Futureboy » Wed May 30, 2007 21:33 pm

Good choice!

If you want to use Hope, i'd go for mini's.

IMO, M4's would be overkill.

madmole

Postby madmole » Thu May 31, 2007 11:05 am

Mini 180/160 work for 100 kg me

Fixed means the disk is a single metal disk. Floaters have a central aluminium carrier with the disk riveted on. Floats are lighter and supposed to take more heat (and they look good)

Black hoses are just plastic, braided are metal sheaved and in theory dont stretch as much if you pull hard on the levers. its a small difference and one thats normally totally lost if there is any air in the system. A well bled black cable will beat a braided with air or old fluid. All things equal the braided excerts more clamping force on the disk and again looks fly

Marin Mount Vision 2005. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XT, Easton 70 bars, ODI rogues, KMC Chain, various bling

Return to “MTB Buying Advice”