Black routes, red routes, etc

Discuss Off road routes, route conditions and the facilities here.
hsa

Postby hsa » Thu Jun 14, 2007 17:16 pm

Not done Llandegla. Interesting to know that. Paulie I've ridden some of the paths around the forest but I generally stick to the waymarks incase I get lost! Might be worth me going for a wander though. I am doing Gorlech after work tomorrow.

Next time you are both here (or anyone else) there is a new trail (Derwen) just opened in May at Byrgwm which is about 2 miles or so from Abergorlech. It is a blue route with an additional moderate loop being added in August. Being a blue route it can be ridden very fast and the final two descents are very cool. 10km takes about 45 minutes for me so it is good for a quick blast and if you're travelling a long way to get here it's well worth a go. Incidentally the Raven Trail will start at Byrgwm.

-----> Byrgwm map http://www.mbwales.com/other_trails/Bre ... Derwen.pdf

neilmac

Postby neilmac » Thu Jun 14, 2007 23:23 pm

hsa

thanks for the info! i'll be back down in the next couple of weeks on business...and i'll be bringing the bike again!

Plus, i've been raving some much about tuesday's adventures, my riding buddy & I will be making a trip down to do the Gorlech again sometime soon. Definitely!

Those berms have to be seen to be believed!!

mea00csf

Postby mea00csf » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:19 pm

I would also suspect gradings of individual trails are linked to what other trails are there. I know for ski resorts pistes are marked black that shouldn't be due to the fact they want to say they've got some black runs on easy mountains, equally runs are labelled green/blue that should be labelled red on difficult mountains. They want a variety of diffrently graded trails to get max people there.

And it is so dependent on what scares you as well. There were some sections labelled as double black at coed-y-brenin that i thought were easy yet couldn't do some of the red sections

Return to “Routes”