Womens Bikes for under £400 ?

The home of female specific MTB'ing.
apreading

Re: Womens Bikes for under £400 ?

Postby apreading » Tue Sep 11, 2012 20:43 pm

I should add that I say this as someone who liked Specialized bikes a couple of years ago (before they got silly) and recently bought a second hand 2010 Myka for my daughter for £160, then fitted a pair of Tora forks that came off my bike when I upgraded and the result is a really nice light bike with reasonable spec components. There are good deals to be had, but everyone else is looking for them too!

Schellpel

Postby Schellpel » Tue Sep 11, 2012 21:37 pm

Dandelionclock30 wrote:I thought you were replacing the fork anyway?

That's true but I took off the V brake post's off 10 years ago and am not sure where they are, and as the brake/shifter units are combined on specialized I can't just add my disc brake, make it harder to put them on the myka. Straight swap on the Vengeance. Also some one has expressed an interest in buying my hack bike.

You seem get a much better spec on the Carrera, that's mostly because it's on sale from £450.

Yep loads of Mykas second hand on Ebay, nearly all collection only and the bikes that can be posted are going for silly money because you don't have to collect them :roll: :roll:

No one seems to have heard of this company http://www.collectmyparcel.com/

It's almost certainly going to be the Carrera despite my reservations about Halfords.

Schellpel

Postby Schellpel » Sat Sep 15, 2012 20:52 pm

Well my Girl Friend now has her bike, I got her the Vengeance mainly due to it being better value for money. I have put a set of Specialized Fast Trak Pro tires that I had spare as the Kenda's it came with where heavier and to Knobbly for the sort of riding we are going to be doing in the near future. I will probably go the whole hog and do a No Flats conversion as the Specy tires are tubeless , I stopped using inner-tubes long ago, what is a puncture again ?

My girl friend likes it and has been riding up down the street like a little girl :lol: :lol: we are off for a proper ride tomorrow to learn how to use all those gears :roll:

As for my impressions, the fork is better than I thought it would be and the quality of all the bits and peices is fair. Handle bars have no center mark on them so getting them centered required a ruler :oops: The brakes work, and so do the gears.

The only real strangeness is the lack of QR seat post. The last time I bought a bike without one was 1992 and that was to save wieght :D

Return to “Women”