Very overweight - where can i start?

Get fit for riding.

Postby enginesuck » Sun Apr 17, 2011 00:44 am

Hi , its taken me a while to read through this thread, some people stories hold a real resonance with mine, ive been out in afghanistan for the last 3.5 months and training hard, i was 131.8kg when i arrived now im down to 103 just bought my first MTB (Cube Acid 2010) cant wait to get back home and try it out, i see MTB as my new hobby and the start of a new lifestyle
enginesuck

Postby muddy216 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:28 am

hi all

wow just read through this entire thread and found it very motivational, in the same boat as a lot of people here and decided like you to do something about it. having read through daves posts its great to see him share his ups and downs and in the end what an acheivement hope its still going well for you.
muddy216

Postby S-M » Fri Aug 12, 2011 22:03 pm

I was 21 stone at Xmas :oops:

Mostly blamed on running my own business for 6.5 years, which ultimatley had me doing feck all by the end, honestly just sitting in my office and playing on my xbox while my staff did everything :lol:

Add to that the fact that my site was accross the road from an Asda super store (donuts for breakfast :roll: ) and it all started going tits up

Changed jobs to one where i have to actually move :roll: and lost 2 stone really quite easy but the wieght loss started to drasticly slow down as i got used to moving again:lol: lost another stone since the end of may, just by getting myself a bike and starting to hammer out some rides.

The first ride i did felt epic, to be honest i did 4.33 miles and i was so knackered by the end of it, i could not lift my legs up the front door step :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had to use my hands to lift my feet up the front door step :cry:

No pain, no gain apparently, started going out 2/3 times a week after work for a ride that moved up to 10 miles, and then doing a longer 35 mile ride on sunday with some mates.

2 weeks back i conquered the Hamsterly red route, which for me was a ******* accomplishment and a half, and yes, i rode the lot, even the uphill bits, although i had to keep stopping to let my mate catch up (he walked most the uphill bits lol! )

2 days later i went back and did the black route, which IMHO was a lot easier to climb up, although i did go over the bastard ******* handle bars on the way back down when the front wheel got caught on a tree root :D

We are off to Hamsterly again next sunday, and will be doing both the black route and red in one day (i`m just nudging under 18 stones at the moment)

Expecting it to hurt, looking forward to it, i love the fact that i can out climb all of my mates, yet i am the biggest, i still eat what i want, and have a can or 2 of beer after work most nights, all i did was change jobs and buy an MTB..

When i go out by myself during the week for the solo rides i usually hammer the bike as hard as i can trying to improve fitness, my mates dont seam to do this, they just want to cruise about in easy gears, they are not showing much progress tbh.

I have tracked every single one of my rides since i started riding again with a Cardiotrainer app on my phone and it shows amazing progress.

1st ever ride after 16 years (19 stone)
May 18th -- 4.3 miles = 28 mins (and i could not get in the front door lmfao)

Aug 7th -- 8.2 miles = 37 mins (this is my "test route" i have done this previous in 35 mins)
S-M

Re: Very overweight - where can i start?

Postby Billytehfish » Sun Nov 27, 2011 14:05 pm

I was 21 stone March last year. Got something of a scare when I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and had to wearing an oxygen mask when I slept.

Started Spinning at a local gym, lost about 5-6 stones in 9 or so months, you have to change your lifestyle, no more takeaways processed foods etc and I recommend stopping drinking altogether for the first 4-6 weeks to give yourself a total detox. Steamed salmon and wholegrain rice are my new found friends.

Im now around the 14 stone 10lb mark from 20s 10lb March 2010.

Im pleased i went with the spinning before actually getting into rides as its unlikley getting injured and its very intensive cardio.

I got into the MTB off road/trail centre/cross country alongside this to exploit my new health and love it! Happy days :)

BIKING TIP: Use a women specific saddle whilst your still a big lump, theyre much more comfortable for larger gentleman due to the width being broader than standard mens saddles, bontrager do some very good ones and they look very decent too. Nobody will tell the difference unless you point it out to them!.
Billytehfish

Postby kasandrich » Mon Dec 05, 2011 16:57 pm

I was 27 stone 11lbs in February 2011, I was in a bad situation, Type 2 Diabetes, joint problems and becoming more & more immobile. I also was diagnosed with sleep apnoeia and had to use the mask at night.

My GP recommended a stomach bypass to get my weight down.

I went to slimmming world and my current weight is 19 stone 2 lb as of thursday last week!. So I am heading towards 9 stone lost. Without a stomach bypass! My Diabetes is much better and my sleep Anpoia has gone, no more mask.

I bought a s/h crap heap bike off ebay about a month ago, and I have enjoyed getting out in the fresh air with my dog.

I was considering buying a new bike, and after my crap heap let me down on saturday, I bit the bullet and bought a nice new Marin B17 at the weekend from Cycles UK which is my LBS, it was reduced by over £200 :D

Only been out once did about 5 miles with a coffee stop, this new bike is fantastic compared to my old heap.

My current target weight is set at 16 stone so around another 3 stone to go.

I am looking forward to getting out more on my new bike in the fresh air.
kasandrich

Postby twowheelthrill » Sun Mar 18, 2012 15:46 pm

BIKING TIP: Use a women specific saddle whilst your still a big lump, theyre much more comfortable for larger gentleman due to the width being broader than standard mens saddles, bontrager do some very good ones and they look very decent too. Nobody will tell the difference unless you point it out to them!.

Or get a leather Brooks saddle.

For years I tried various saddles, but to no avail. Then stumbled across the Brooks saddle. Once the leather is broken in, the rides get better!
twowheelthrill

Postby mrbrutesnipe » Mon May 14, 2012 18:18 pm

Hi all,

currently working my way through this thread, and I have to say there's some inspirational stuff in here.

I'm 6' 3" and just over 23 stone, and looking to get back in to biking after about 5 years without.

I've looked around, and keep coming back to this: http://claudbutler.co.uk/cycle-range/ra ... -atb/b2757

I've owned a couple of Claud Butler's and always found them to be excellent. My budget is £400, but I've found this bike for around £200.

Any advice would be most welcome. The plan is to use it for road use to and from work.

Also, has anyone with a similar weight had any issues with front suspension? I admit to being nervous with my weight and any sort of suspension bike. I know I'd bounce around with rear suspension, but should I be worried about front suspension??
mrbrutesnipe

Postby gb155 » Mon May 14, 2012 19:56 pm

never had ANY issues with fron sus on ANY MTB, even at over 35 stone !
On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.
gb155

Postby mrbrutesnipe » Mon May 14, 2012 20:51 pm

Just an irrational fear then!

Just looked at your site. That is amazing! Any advice?

What about tires/wheels? When I've tried to ride my aging bike now it's like riding on flat tyres.

Is there anything specific I should look at when looking to buy my new bike? Any recommendations for around £400?
mrbrutesnipe

Postby gb155 » Mon May 14, 2012 21:10 pm

mrbrutesnipe wrote:Just an irrational fear then!

Just looked at your site. That is amazing! Any advice?

What about tires/wheels? When I've tried to ride my aging bike now it's like riding on flat tyres.

Is there anything specific I should look at when looking to buy my new bike? Any recommendations for around £400?

This should help

http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpre ... or-a-bike/

More miles + Less Calories = Success !
On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.
gb155

Postby CubeCrazy » Thu May 17, 2012 07:16 am

I'd like to suggest :

http://www.endomondo.com/home

Its a great training aid and lets you record your progress and analyse your data online, I wouldnt enjoy my sport half as much without this, it spurs me on and shows me where am weak and where I have improved, a valuable aid to any cyclist I recon.

8)
CubeCrazy

Postby andyonwight » Mon Jun 18, 2012 15:09 pm

I have skipped through most of this thread but will spend some time in the next few days reading through it from scratch.

Yes I am overweight but seeing as I am near my mid 40's (birthday last week) and I do enjoy riding have decided that it is time for me to get my ass in gear as they say. I am 6ft barefooted and weigh 129kg (20st 4lb).

Did start cycling about 4 years ago until I was involved in an RTA where the helmet saved my life, head and concrete wall do not mix well, have no memory of it and it was touch and go as I was not breathing when the ambulance arrived. Put me off for a while but then bit the bullet 2 years ago and brought another bike. I own a Saracen Element 2 and use it on our local cycle tracks and am able to cycle 20 miles in just over 2 hrs (flat but I try and keep a high tempo). Also have done the Haldon Forest (Devon) moderate track in about an hour (7miles ish)

The only real problem I have found is finding shorts that are the right size. Got padded under shorts but finding suitable baggies is difficult. I have a waist of 44-46" but am still trawling the net to find some to fit. Any pointers would be helpful.

Currently I am doing the Couch to 5K podcasts and am on week 1 but aiming to be able to jog 5K by the end of September. I use Map my Ride on the phone to track my cycle routes and it gives quite accurate distances travelled. Also use My Fitness Pal to log the food and exercise done (its fee to join). Want to lose about 30kg by this time next year and keep it off. I do have a heavy body frame so I think the 100kg (15st ) mark would be right.

This thread has reignited my desire to lose the weight. Thanks
andyonwight

Postby karlbrewster » Fri Jun 22, 2012 09:05 am

Hello Dave (the Dave who started this thread),

Glad to hear riding has helped you get in shape.
What's the latest status?
Manage to lose a few more stones? New bike? New trails?
karlbrewster

Postby MadMTB1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 05:55 am

Hey Dave,
Good to hear it's all going well. The sore legs are probably due to a big build up of lactic acid, or it could be DOMS (delayed onset of muscle soreness) it all depends on how long it's been between rides!
The key to weight loss success is keep moving, look hard at your diet, and consistency.
Set a goal of a certain amount of rides per week or per month and really try to achieve it, then increase it for the next week or month.
Good luck with it!
Ride Today Like it's Gonna be Your Last!
The Mad Mountain Biker
www.madmountainbiker.com
MadMTB1

Postby psiturbo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 22:17 pm

70% is what you put in your mouth, the rest is exercise.

Most people most change the thinking of eating for pleasure, instead of as a source of energy. It is not easy, but can be done.
psiturbo

Postby Rustyz nutzz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 04:37 am

Hi Dave , good to read your posts, I have just started back after injury and putting on 2 stone in unwanted weight.

Don't forget to stretch up before and after your ride. I did a few weeks ago after a long ride , which was too much for me tbh and suffrered a few nights sleep due to pain and cramps.

I'm taking smaller rides too now. Thanks for the inspiration , it's a long road but the bumps make it worth it. ;-)
Rustyz nutzz

Postby Rustyz nutzz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 04:43 am

MadMTB1 wrote:Hey Dave,
Good to hear it's all going well. The sore legs are probably due to a big build up of lactic acid, or it could be DOMS (delayed onset of muscle soreness) it all depends on how long it's been between rides!
The key to weight loss success is keep moving, look hard at your diet, and consistency.
Set a goal of a certain amount of rides per week or per month and really try to achieve it, then increase it for the next week or month.
Good luck with it!

MadMTB1, good advice off you and others. Cheers
Yep I foolishly rode 26 miles and a huge climb to finish..... after a few injuries this year and nothing for 6 months on the bike.
Boy did it hurt the pain my quads was horrible.
A big lesson for me is you can't store fitness and the older you get the better I was lols.
Seriously down to 12 mile rides and the weight is coming off slowly along with more activity and cutting down on some eating rubbish.
Rustyz nutzz

Postby Sollac » Fri Jan 04, 2013 02:03 am

inspiration, i have just turned 42 and im 19 stone , 5 ft 5 in.. basically im over weight, and i missed cycling. last time i rode a bike i was 18.

so I have bought a secondhand felt q650 frame (15.5 in) and have built it from scratch. Im a mechanical engineer, so it wasnt a problem. Bike went in last week to wildside cycles (Tunbridge wells)for a tune and inspection... all ok.

I have managed 6 miles so far, but i really struggle with up hill sections, the tops of my knees ache and i have no strength in them, which is infuriating.

this thread has made me want to continue ...... thank you
Sollac

Postby joolsabel » Sat Feb 23, 2013 15:38 pm

Keep going Solac - I'm 47 and WAS 19 stone when I started dieting / cycling in Sept 2012. I am now 2 stones lighter, down from a 44 to a 38 waist and in an xl from 3 xl shirt. I live in Rossendale, LAncs which has many MANY hills and struggle with them too, but, they are getting easier and I am managing to get out of the saddle for a bit now too!

Keep up with it, give it a few weeks and you will be doing great!

I am doing the Hairy Dieters diet which is brilliant btw - when I was being honest with myself I discovered I was eating around 5000 k/cals a day. Now I am around 1500/1600 a day, it's been really hard but so rewarding when I can get into much smaller clothes! I put on a few pounds here and there but I don't beat myself up about it. I am off my blood pressure medication and the last blood pressure check was 130/70 which given my age etc is spot on. I hasten to add I have cut out the alcohol which in turn does not make me want to eat cheese, crisps, chocolate etc!

To all you trying to lose weight and gain fitness - keep at it, if it was easy everyone would be racing snakes and what fun would that be!!

Jools
joolsabel

Postby Lancstony » Tue Apr 02, 2013 21:35 pm

Evening all, I'm a man in need of help!! I am currently 20 stone and growing as I am eating like a horse at the moment, is so depressing its unreal, I keep trying to be good and stick to a diet but I am finding it very hard, I know it isn't easy and there are no quick fixes and is up to me to change, just really struggling at moment.
Bought myself a Ribble winter bike last year and not been out on it yet, feel like I can't do it and will just embarrass myself, but I have to do it to get sorted.

A lad I know passed away aged 40 last year, his lifestyle was like mine and it scares the hell out of me as I'm only three years under that now and not in good shape.

Is there any tips out there that may help me? I know at end of day is up to me to do it but I just can't seem to find the willpower!! I gave up smoking years ago and I think that was easier than dieting!!!

Anyway any tips greatly appreciated :oops:
Lancstony

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Fitness & Training