Mountain Biking Diets.

Get fit for riding.

Postby Shaggy_Dog » Thu Jan 14, 2010 00:59 am

I always make food that I enjoy. For me, I enjoy a good dinner just as much as a good bike ride. However I think that good food is usually healthy food. I love seafood, vegetables, chicken, eggs, mushrooms etc. My favourite health-packed meal is Ratatouille made with less aubergine (so tomato, courgette, onion, garlic, peppers), no cooking oil, the veg cook in their juices served with brown rice and home made meatballs. I always use the best quality mince from the butchers or supermarket (less fat), it could be healthier if I used turkey but all of the veg is negative calorie and the only carbs are of the lowest GI. Anyway, it's delicious, healthy and, if followed up with a good bike ride, can help you lose weight. My favourite lunch is a 4 egg omelette with porcini mushrooms, takes about 5 mins to make and tastes delicious, packed with protein, no carbs, unfortunately quite a bit of fat but there we go, live a little
I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
Shaggy_Dog

Postby thefosterkid » Mon Jan 18, 2010 14:45 pm

heathy_76 wrote:+1 for the banana cure for cramp.
Been having a lot of probs recently with cramp.
Since eating a banana day I've not had a problem. Been eating two with breakfast before a ride too.

Hope this does the trick - I cramp up all the time and most muscles in my legs which is agony. I usually have a Banana on the ride as a boost (couldn't belive how much of a difference it made when I first tried it).

By the way how much carb in grammes does the body digest also how much protien we can digest?
thefosterkid

Postby riddle » Fri Jun 04, 2010 21:54 pm

Have a look at a product Pace, by Phoenix Metabolic. I have been using this for almost a year and I can ride all day without feeling cramped or tired and then do the same the day after and the day after...
Blue Skies Always
Roger H-Smith
07807 031797
riddle

Postby specializedsteve » Fri Jun 03, 2011 23:15 pm

what do you guys have as a post ride snack and drink?
been on one or two rides and been really hungry when i finish. i know its prob havent had the right food pre ride but im still trying to get the hang of what to eat and drink and when etc.

cheers,
Steve
If in doubt - flat out!
specializedsteve

Postby D4V1D » Thu Jul 14, 2011 22:47 pm

This thread is very helpfull, I'm 6'3 and weight in at 95k's and I want to get down to 89-91K's.
D4V1D

Re:

Postby composite » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:11 pm

riddle wrote:Have a look at a product Pace, by Phoenix Metabolic. I have been using this for almost a year and I can ride all day without feeling cramped or tired and then do the same the day after and the day after...

Just had a quick look for this stuff and drawn a blank. All the retailers they list on their own site don't list there product.

Where did you get it from?
composite

Re: Mountain Biking Diets.

Postby Fatamorgana » Sun Jan 29, 2012 00:46 am

Any thoughts on this NM? All comments welcome as the original article is worth a read through.

The one thing I have learnt over the years is the very real benefit of pasta. I have a bowl of it cold just sitting in the fridge and nibble on it from time to time between meals as well as having it for main meals.

I expunge bread from the diet as you simply no longer know what's in the stuff. I do like ciabatta (sp?) though!

Rice is 2nd in my list to pasta as sometimes another bowl of pasta simply turns the tummy and some of the chuck-wagons at races (Bonty 24) do a mean chicken sweat 'n' sour! Couscous for a change, likewise a baked potato.

Chips from the chuck-wagon when in the middle of a 24hr race always makes me smile, but it's heavy on the fat so takes energy to digest and probably not a wise idea as such.

When not training I never mix proteins and carbs in the evening meal. I am losing weight as I will be a Super Vet' in 2.5yrs! Podium here I come!

When training hard, lots of salt in the food and electrolyte mix in the water bottle / bladder and a dash of apple juice too (fructose) and Elete seems to work, I cramp very easily, but be aware, experiment well in advance of races as it's very easy to make the mix a little too rich without ever realising it and you end up dehydrated and bonk with a headache! Eat every 45 mins when racing. Too many gels and the world will fall out of your ring without a second's notice - but it does take a few hours.

Post ride: Rego mixed with banana milk plus a tin of tuna. I was quite shocked one winter just how much leg muscle I gained!

I kicked alcohol into the long grass once I started taking my riding more seriously (polishes halo). My vice is black tea, one sugar.
Fatamorgana

Postby steveplymouth » Sun May 06, 2012 20:16 pm

A nurse friend of mine told me years ago that tonic water is good for cramp, something to do with the quinine. i used to get bad cramp at night after doing a run or hard ride during the day, i started drinking one of those little tins from a Schweppes 12pk after a hard training day and never had cramps again!
2009 Trek 4500. Grand Canyon CF 9.0
steveplymouth

Postby The Northern Monkey » Sun May 06, 2012 21:47 pm

Yeah, quinine (from tonic) and potassium (from stuff like banana's) are supposed to be good for cramp, but its whatever works for you really.
The Northern Monkey

Postby gowerpower » Tue Jun 12, 2012 13:02 pm

After an intensive ride regardless of length, I find I suffer from uncomfortable hungry pains in the following mornings until around lunch time/ mid afternoon, this can last for a couple of days after a ride. I tend to follow the majority of the above recommendations, but an starting to think my body is suffering form a deficiency in a particular food group.

My general diet on the day of a ride is below, if anyone has any ideas what might cause the hungry pains I would be please to try it out.

- Breakfast: Wheat based cerial with bit of sugar, cup of decaf tea, toast and jam, with an orange juice and couple of glasses of water.
- 1 hours riding medium intensity, constantly drinking water.
- Snack: Flatjack or nut based cereal bar
- Post ride snack: Flatjack or nut based cereal bar
- Lunch: Jacket potateo with tuna or beans and cheese, or pasta and chicken with roasted veg plus a couple of pints of fruit squash.
- I then tend to have mid afternoon snacks like a sandwich or crisps or some cake, with continuous drinking.
- Evening meal, not super health steamed veg but not a takeaway.

Cheer
gowerpower

Re:

Postby denis's mate » Fri Jun 15, 2012 18:20 pm

colintrav wrote:Being a Chef and my mate is as well he had to do a course in nutrition due to the job because he looks after Players of a football Club .. ....

But still I myself wouldn't bother following any such meal plan even for bike riding .. because It's my own personal choice I find doing such things as meal plans borders on Compulsive behaviour disorder ..

I just head out even if I aint had anything to eat or drink and still route my route in record time .. other times I just doddle along no give a fk cos I ain't in any rush

+1
but I guess it depends on whether you view MTBing as a sport or a leisure activity. I'm with the second group. I eat what I consider to be a well balanced diet and that does it for me. Drink plenty and occasional snack on longer ride for me is the sensible option. But then again.............each to their own.
denis's mate

Postby quakeroathead » Wed Jun 27, 2012 16:23 pm

Interesting post, Ive heard that some of the elite xc athletes and road boy towt the benefits of a vegan diet when racing? Im personally vegetarian and my main intake on the trails is cake from a very good bakery in peaslake, uk!
quakeroathead

Postby TheEnglishman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 16:59 pm

The Northern Monkey wrote:...
Downhill riders tend to be larger and more muscular. A larger body weight may result in greater speeds due to gravitational effects. ...

I'm fairly sure some famous Italian dropped a pile of stuff off the (not so when he did it) Leaning Tower of Pisa to prove heavy things and light things fall at the same rate. Then that Einstein bloke came along and said 'Well actually , heavy things fall faster, if you're in a vacuum'. Although falling a bit quicker is the least of your worries if you happen to be in a vacuum...

Which possibly adds more weight to that old adage 'Built for comfort not for speed'

:P
TheEnglishman

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Sat Jul 14, 2012 13:45 pm

TheEnglishman wrote:
The Northern Monkey wrote:...
Downhill riders tend to be larger and more muscular. A larger body weight may result in greater speeds due to gravitational effects. ...

I'm fairly sure some famous Italian dropped a pile of stuff off the (not so when he did it) Leaning Tower of Pisa to prove heavy things and light things fall at the same rate. Then that Einstein bloke came along and said 'Well actually , heavy things fall faster, if you're in a vacuum'. Although falling a bit quicker is the least of your worries if you happen to be in a vacuum...

Which possibly adds more weight to that old adage 'Built for comfort not for speed'

:P

Whoa there. Completely wrong.
Dropping a very light thing, and a heavy thing from a tower will result in the heavy one hitting the ground first. This is because it's mass and inertia allow it to overcome the negligible air resistance - whereas the light object is impeeded greatly by air resistance.
But in a VACUM, or on the moon, say, they will both fall at exactly the same speed. They actually did this on the moon as a little demonstration piece to camera, using a hammer and a feather, I believe.
YeehaaMcgee

Postby jakjtb » Sat Jul 21, 2012 00:10 am

yeehaamcgee is correct...it was on QI and as everyone knows. thou shalt not question stephen fry.
i find that if you just talk, your mouth comes out with stuff - Karl Pilkington
jakjtb

Postby marco10 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 14:39 pm

I personally suggest to get a lot of proteins before biking (for instance eggs) and I agree not to drink tea. It's better an orange juice!
marco10

Postby pilch » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:57 am

There's a lot to this nutrition thing... you really need to see a sports nutritionist to get your personal balance right, I had an assessment and have an 'eating plan' which he produced for me going forward for next years race season... if you are serious about your diet and your goal is to improve your endurance & fitness and/or loose weight this is the way to go.

I doesn't cost a fortune and if you start now it will make a huge difference to how you perform next summer.
A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
pilch

Postby mmacavity » Sat Mar 30, 2013 14:59 pm

mmacavity

Postby fuzzysb » Thu Jun 06, 2013 06:19 am

gowerpower wrote:After an intensive ride regardless of length, I find I suffer from uncomfortable hungry pains in the following mornings until around lunch time/ mid afternoon, this can last for a couple of days after a ride. I tend to follow the majority of the above recommendations, but an starting to think my body is suffering form a deficiency in a particular food group.

My general diet on the day of a ride is below, if anyone has any ideas what might cause the hungry pains I would be please to try it out.

- Breakfast: Wheat based cerial with bit of sugar, cup of decaf tea, toast and jam, with an orange juice and couple of glasses of water.
- Snack: Flatjack or nut based cereal bar
- Post ride snack: Flatjack or nut based cereal bar
- Lunch: Jacket potateo with tuna or beans and cheese, or pasta and chicken with roasted veg plus a couple of pints of fruit squash.
- I then tend to have mid afternoon snacks like a sandwich or crisps or some cake, with continuous drinking.
- Evening meal, not super health steamed veg but not a takeaway.

Cheer

Wow is it just me or are you just overloading on slow burning carbs. wheres your fruit? ive heard of five a day but you are doing it with oats and potato carbs instead
fuzzysb

Postby felix.london » Tue Jul 02, 2013 15:38 pm

This is my morning breakfast shake Monday to Friday;

http://thehairyrider.com/2013/02/20/the-hairy-breakfast/

Weekends;
Saturday - poached eggs with lentils, raw onion, raw peppers and various sprouty things (and plenty of olive oil)

Sunday - same as Saturday but fried eggs instead of poached and normally add some feta-like sheeps cheese into the mix

...and repeat
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
felix.london

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Fitness & Training