Trouble rehydrating, any suggestions?

Get fit for riding.
YeehaaMcgee

Re: Trouble rehydrating, any suggestions?

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Fri May 25, 2012 22:28 pm

Dartster wrote:
bennett_346 wrote:
Dartster wrote:Water on its own doesn't contain Sodium and all the other stuff that needs to be replaced.

Tap water does in some parts of the country.

Which parts? :wink:

+Potato.
I'm intrigued, have you any details?

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Fri May 25, 2012 22:35 pm

Dartster wrote:
bennett_346 wrote:
Dartster wrote:Water on its own doesn't contain Sodium and all the other stuff that needs to be replaced.

Tap water does in some parts of the country.

Which parts? :wink:

London for starters. I *think* it was somewhere around 100mg/L ish if i remember correctly. The legal limit is 150mg/L for tap water.

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Fri May 25, 2012 22:40 pm

We're going back a bit here but i seem to remember it being to do with what type of source it is, aquifers down to chalk marl base layers (such as those around the south east) have much higher sodium contents than places that take it from reservoirs.

Oh and the whole thing about fluorine being added to the supply to help people's teeth is BS too.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Fri May 25, 2012 22:44 pm

Do you mean that fluorine IS added to water, but it's not for teeth, or do you mean that it ISN'T added to water?
And, water in North Wales, which generally comes from reservoirs will have a fairly low sodium content?

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Fri May 25, 2012 22:51 pm

I couldn't comment on Wales, i have no idea. It was only a module of my Surveying degree. A lot of this was gained from reading around the content. However with regards to the fluorine people often say it's to help people's teeth but in reality the amount is too low to have any effect, it's one of those urban myths.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Fri May 25, 2012 22:55 pm

I suspected it wasn't there to help dental health.
So, what IS fluorine added for then? Or is it just a natural occurring thing?

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Fri May 25, 2012 23:00 pm

Well, it's a bit controvertial and complicated but some companies have added it to try and pass their water off as medically healthier to unassuming consumers but there's no evidence to suggest that fluoride added to drinking water does help prevent tooth decay, and it's a criminal offence to market it as having medicinal benefits.

However they have tried to get around it by passing it off as a "food" where fluoridation chemicals have been added to provide supplement to RDA's, which again was later ruled illegal.

Naturally occuring i'd say was so minute it would be classed as trace.

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Fri May 25, 2012 23:03 pm

It's certainly one of the more interesting modules i've looked into, and i did a lot of reading around the subject. Although it's of limited benefit to me as a building surveyor they still taught us water supply and logistics issues because surveyors do deal a lot with services connection.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Sat May 26, 2012 06:21 am

Market their water? But you really don't have a choice what water you get when you open the tap! How odd.

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Sat May 26, 2012 06:54 am

They want you to drink it as drinking water through the day instead of bottled water so you pay more (although bottled water is literally unchlorinated tap water - don't even get me started).

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Sat May 26, 2012 06:58 am

Bottled water is a big con, as I understand it. Doesn't tap water have to pass more stringent tests?

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Sat May 26, 2012 07:09 am

Yep. Bottled water is water taken straight from the source and passed through Ultra Violet screening to remove bacteria, but there's no criteria that says you must add any kind of chemical to prevent bacterial growth once it has left the factory.

Tap water on the other hand has to be UV screened, possibly part softened to remove large amounts of minerals that can cause issues like thyroid problems and kidney stones from repeated drinking (there have been many documented cases), and then chlorinated with the requirement that it is kept free from bacteria from the resource to the tap and all pipes in between.

People who pay out the nose for "special" bottled water that has medical benefits and other crap need to get a grip or get educated.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Sat May 26, 2012 12:45 pm

I will admit to buying bottled water occasionally though, mainly out of convenience, or if I'm in a different region where I don't like the taste of the water. For example, I really can;t stand the taste of the hard water down the South of England. Makes the stuff up here taste like angel's tears in comparisson.

supersonic
Lives Here

Postby supersonic » Sat May 26, 2012 17:03 pm

but there's no evidence to suggest that fluoride added to drinking water does help prevent tooth decay,

I've read plenty of evidence to say that it does!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1977 ... t=Abstract

Is just one.

stubs

Postby stubs » Sat May 26, 2012 19:08 pm

My drink for rides up to a couple of hours long is a 50/50 mix of cheap apple juice (the stuff from Aldi is my current fave) and tap water with a pinch of sea salt. Put bottle in freezer for an hour before ride and it tatses good and gives a small hit of calories, easy on my stomach as well.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Return to “Health, Fitness & Training”