protien drinks

Get fit for riding.
pilch

Re: protien drinks

Postby pilch » Tue Oct 30, 2012 09:17 am

If you are serious about it go & see a nutritionist, they will look at your lifestyle, food intake and whatever goals you have and tailor your diet & supplements to suit, everyone is different, what you eat & when you eat it is key.
A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer

sammysideways

Postby sammysideways » Tue Oct 30, 2012 20:55 pm

Id say protein intake is a good thing, especially before and after training BUT just remember that depending on the level of training your protein intake should only be x 1.5/2 of your bodyweight which is my one worry with shakes is that its easy to consume to much protein!
Protein is fantastic for recovery, if your going to use shakes id recommend some with some carbs in too as a post ride recovery drink. i highly recommend phd synergy, tastes good too

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Tue Oct 30, 2012 22:29 pm

sammysideways wrote:Id say protein intake is a good thing, especially before and after training BUT just remember that depending on the level of training your protein intake should only be x 1.5/2 of your bodyweight which is my one worry with shakes is that its easy to consume to much protein!
Protein is fantastic for recovery, if your going to use shakes id recommend some with some carbs in too as a post ride recovery drink. i highly recommend phd synergy, tastes good too

So if you weigh 80Kg, you should consume somewhere between 120-160Kg of protein?
YeahIdonthinksosomehow.

kammybear

Postby kammybear » Tue Oct 30, 2012 23:50 pm

That advice is found on bodybuilding forums.

Obviously that's for hardcore dudes only and will be shitted out by most of us?

I'm on a low carb/high protein diet right now and aim for 80-100g of protein. 25g come from my shake.

DCR00

Postby DCR00 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 09:04 am

its 1.5 to 2x the bodywweight you would like to be in grams

i.e. i currently weight 100lbs, but i want to be 200lbs, so i consume between 300g to 400g of protein per day

excess wont be "shitted out" as you put it. As with most excess calories consumed by the body, if it doenst get used for something, it gets stored as fat, hence some of the comments earlier about shakes making you fat i.e. if you dont exert the amount of effort needed to utilise this sort of intake of calories and protein, then it will indeed make you fat

before you believe the marketing about shakes, go and read up on what glycogen is and how its created. At the same time have a quick read on the role of insulin and its influence on nutrient absorbtion. Once you understand how the body absorbs and utlises what you eat (its really not that complex), you wil realise that massive consumption of protein is only one part of the puzzle, and in most cases unnecessary.

it really is an eye opener. I used to be one of the suckers that consumed 3-4 shakes per day in the belief that it would make me bigger, In some respect it will have contributed, but in reality i wasted a pile of money. Since i binned off the protein shakes and moved to one recovery shake, my muscles havent fallen off and ive been able to train as hard of not harder than i did before

In the words of Public Enemy, dont believe the hype

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Wed Oct 31, 2012 14:13 pm

DCR00 wrote:excess wont be "shitted out" as you put it. As with most excess calories consumed by the body, if it doenst get used for something, it gets stored as fat, hence some of the comments earlier about shakes making you fat i.e. if you dont exert the amount of effort needed to utilise this sort of intake of calories and protein, then it will indeed make you fat

Anything in excess will contribute, not just protein of course. Then again, it isn't always overeating that makes you fat :D

before you believe the marketing about shakes, go and read up on what glycogen is and how its created. At the same time have a quick read on the role of insulin and its influence on nutrient absorbtion. Once you understand how the body absorbs and utlises what you eat (its really not that complex), you wil realise that massive consumption of protein is only one part of the puzzle, and in most cases unnecessary.

People go read? Don't be silly! Who wants to know that the human body has 3 energy systems and that carbs aren't actually,directly "fuel"?

sammysideways

Postby sammysideways » Thu Nov 01, 2012 16:22 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:
sammysideways wrote:Id say protein intake is a good thing, especially before and after training BUT just remember that depending on the level of training your protein intake should only be x 1.5/2 of your bodyweight which is my one worry with shakes is that its easy to consume to much protein!

So if you weigh 80Kg, you should consume somewhere between 120-160Kg of protein?
YeahIdonthinksosomehow.

You really are a sad fool arent you? just follow my posts looking for errors.

Sorry i didnt re-read my post before posting. as already mentioned it should be in grams.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Thu Nov 01, 2012 17:04 pm

sammysideways wrote:
YeehaaMcgee wrote:

YeahIdonthinksosomehow.

You really are a sad fool arent you? just follow my posts looking for errors.

Sorry i didnt re-read my post before posting. as already mentioned it should be in grams.

When giving advice it's good practice to proof-read it. I think that's all Yeehaa is getting at. As obvious as grams and kg are, the other mistake could mean advising a client to use 100kg barbel instead of 10.

sammysideways

Postby sammysideways » Thu Nov 01, 2012 17:16 pm

agreed, although the mistake is kinda obvious as eating your bodyweight in protein would take some doing. its a shame that everybody on this forum doesnt have your level of politeness.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Thu Nov 01, 2012 17:37 pm

sammysideways wrote:agreed, although the mistake is kinda obvious as eating your bodyweight in protein would take some doing. its a shame that everybody on this forum doesnt have your level of politeness.

Well, since I'm not psychic, I had no idea what the hell you were on about.
Even if you are converting weights from one unit to another, what are we starting with, lbs? Kg? Stones? And what are we going to? grams, KG? lbs? ounces?
it wasn't a case of proof-reading, it was just nonsense as you wrote it.

sammysideways

Postby sammysideways » Thu Nov 01, 2012 17:53 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:
sammysideways wrote:agreed, although the mistake is kinda obvious as eating your bodyweight in protein would take some doing. its a shame that everybody on this forum doesnt have your level of politeness.

Even if you are converting weights from one unit to another, what are we starting with, lbs? Kg? Stones? And what are we going to? grams, KG? lbs? ounces?

I wrote it in a hurry before work, in a rush with the intention on helping others on this forum something you obviously dont do. Its a shame because this forum seems sound but every forum has one knob-head and in this case it appears to be you.
Im done with trying to help people on here.

Chunkers1980

Postby Chunkers1980 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 18:34 pm

Good. The advice should be eat a balanced healthy diet with food from all groups. And when I say food, I mean food, proper food.

sammysideways

Postby sammysideways » Thu Nov 01, 2012 18:45 pm

If you read my posts thats what i was trying to get at, shakes have there place but only when life gets in the way of proper food.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Thu Nov 01, 2012 20:32 pm

If you're trying to give advice on how much of a certain thing to consume, it REALLY helps to specify how much, not leave it as an exercise to the reader.
It also doesn't hurt to admit fault on occasion, rather than hide behind a barrage of excuses.

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Thu Nov 01, 2012 22:53 pm

T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:When giving advice it's good practice to proof-read it. I think that's all Yeehaa is getting at. As obvious as grams and kg are, the other mistake could mean advising a client to use 100kg barbel instead of 10.

Pedant mode on>That would be one big mother of a fish<off
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Fri Nov 02, 2012 04:31 am

cooldad wrote:
T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:When giving advice it's good practice to proof-read it. I think that's all Yeehaa is getting at. As obvious as grams and kg are, the other mistake could mean advising a client to use 100kg barbel instead of 10.

Pedant mode on>That would be one big mother of a fish<off

There's another intentional mistake in this post that you missed. Terrible pedant :lol:

DCR00

Postby DCR00 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 08:23 am

sammysideways wrote:
YeehaaMcgee wrote:

I wrote it in a hurry before work, in a rush with the intention on helping others on this forum something you obviously dont do. Its a shame because this forum seems sound but every forum has one knob-head and in this case it appears to be you.

lets be honest though, despite the kgs gaff, your advice was a little shaky i.e. "******** out" excess protein, and 80g - 100g of protein per day isnt a high protein diet (unless you weight 40kgs)

sammysideways

Postby sammysideways » Mon Nov 05, 2012 08:48 am

DCR00 wrote:
sammysideways wrote:
YeehaaMcgee wrote:

lets be honest though, despite the kgs gaff, your advice was a little shaky i.e. "******** out" excess protein, and 80g - 100g of protein per day isnt a high protein diet (unless you weight 40kgs)

i disagree, if you use the governments eatwell plate diagram then 80-100g of protein would be considered maybe not a high protein diet but it would be more than whats recomended. I dont remember saying it would be shat out either?
Last edited by sammysideways on Mon Nov 05, 2012 08:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

sammysideways

Postby sammysideways » Mon Nov 05, 2012 08:56 am

oh and don't get me wrong, i was in the wrong for not proof reading my post, that is a mistake on my part but at least im helping or trying to help people unlike you who makes no useful contribution other than to make new people on this forum feel un-welcome.

DCR00

Postby DCR00 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 19:25 pm

"Obviously that's for hardcore dudes only and will be shitted out by most of us?"

I'm sorry, did i hurt your feelings by disagreeing with your inaccurate statements about the "right" amount of protein to consume or the fact that the excess doesn't get "sh*tted out", or was your question mark at the end of the statement above asking a question ?

what you will find with this forum is that people generally don't mind ignorance, however a denial of fault when what you have stated in the first instance is incorrect is, on the whole, met with the reaction you've had

if you had come back and said "Know what, i think i was wrong", then people would have been far more tolerant.

Return to “Health, Fitness & Training”