Pure Climbers

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
inkyfingers

Re: Pure Climbers

Postby inkyfingers » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:14 am

I've got a soft spot for Dan Martin, though it's fair to say that as yet he's only shown glimpses of his potential.

I don't think he'll ever win a GT, but he certainly has the potential to end his career with a handful of quality mountain stage wins and maybe some overall wins in races like Catalunya and Pais Vasco. He's had quite a few health issues (allergy problems and a knee injury) which if he can sort out will hopefully allow him to take another step up. The polka dot jersey could definitely be a realistic target if the team will give him that freedom, suspect they'd rather he was winning stages though as that gets better publicity. I think he's at the right team though, he'll probably get more opportunities as a wildcard at Garmin.
"I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

Timoid.

Postby Timoid. » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:13 am

LeicesterLad wrote:Yeah i'm a big fan of Martin and its hard to tell how he has progressed because opportunities may be a little thin on the ground at Garmin. Thing is though he's getting older now, we keep hearing he's breaking through or going to break through in a couple of seasons, but he hasn't really done anything noteworthy yet (excluding stage wins here and there)...

I could even suggest that he's more of a puncheur than a true climber, I always think of him when there is a short sharp uphill finish rather than on long winding mountain passes, a little like Rodriguez but without the final ability on the long stuff...

Agree with your second paragraph, but at 25 he's a GT stage winner (where finished 13th overall) and monument runner up, so the first is a little harsh.

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:44 am

http://www.cyclinginquisition.com/2012/ ... as-52.html

By most accounts, the fastest time up Letras was accomplished by Santiago Botero in 2007. He managed to complete the ascent in just under three hours, on his way to winning the Vuelta a Colombia that year. With this in mind, any time under four hours is considered very good. That's four hours of nothing but climbing, though most fit Colombian amateurs (who live at altitude) make it in around 5-6 hours.
Contador is the Greatest

Turfle

Postby Turfle » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:57 am

I could definitely see Martin winning a Vuelta, or maybe a Giro. The Tour will always be tough because of the TT miles usually involved. The Giro may be tough because of his allergies.

He also the punch to win any number of one day races.

I can't wait for Pete Kennaugh to give up the track so we can really see what he can do. His performance over the big, big Cols at the Route du Sud last year was tremendous.

Turfle

Postby Turfle » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:02 pm

For modern day pure climbers, you have to throw Quintana in there. Proper little dancer.

Turfle

Re:

Postby Turfle » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:10 pm

andyp wrote:Chiappucci had the heart of a lion, the tactical sense of a giraffe and a well stocked medicine chest.

Yeah sums it up nicely. He was my favourite rider growing up, probably because we shared a tactical nous, and partly because he looked like snooker legend Joe Johnson, but Joe Johnson on a bike. He was as entertaining a rider as there has ever been.

Not a pure climber though.

Sonny73

Postby Sonny73 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 14:32 pm

frenchfighter wrote:Image

Another great graphic FF. Really striking the difference in climb lengths when you see it like that.

Remarkable

Postby Remarkable » Mon Jun 18, 2012 15:23 pm

Here is an interesting article for those of you who follow woman's cycling:

http://www.procyclingwomen.com/Climbers.html

:)

Edit: Some of the videos have been removed from youtube, but its worth a read all the same.

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Mon Jun 18, 2012 16:11 pm

Thanks, good link.
Contador is the Greatest

inkyfingers

Postby inkyfingers » Mon Jun 18, 2012 16:26 pm

By most accounts, the fastest time up Letras was accomplished by Santiago Botero in 2007. He managed to complete the ascent in just under three hours, on his way to winning the Vuelta a Colombia that year. With this in mind, any time under four hours is considered very good. That's four hours of nothing but climbing, though most fit Colombian amateurs (who live at altitude) make it in around 5-6 hours.

Wow, that is quite something.

I can't imagine climbing solidly for 5-6 + hours without any descents etc to break it up, as a "Rouleur" something like that strikes fear into my heart (and legs or course)!
"I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

LangerDan

Postby LangerDan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 17:16 pm

That graphic is quite misleading as it tries to translate the length of the climb into the elevation gain by assuming the slopes of all these climbs are the same. The altitude gain of Alto de Letras is only about 3 times that of Alpe d'Huez - not the 5 or 6 times that it appears.
'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'

Le Commentateur

Postby Le Commentateur » Mon Jun 18, 2012 21:49 pm

Yes, I was thinking it's probably mostly a boring slog.

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Tue Jun 19, 2012 08:10 am

Le Commentateur wrote:Yes, I was thinking it's probably mostly a boring slog.

Most climbs are a boring slog when you're off the back.

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Sun Jun 24, 2012 09:29 am

Contador is the Greatest

liquor box

Postby liquor box » Sun Jun 24, 2012 23:03 pm

inkyfingers wrote:

Wow, that is quite something.

I can't imagine climbing solidly for 5-6 + hours without any descents etc to break it up, as a "Rouleur" something like that strikes fear into my heart (and legs or course)!

I cant imagine it either, but am now going to dream about the decent, imagine the speed and ease of going downhill for 50 miles!!!

Pross

Postby Pross » Mon Jun 25, 2012 09:09 am

Has Raul Alcala had a mention at all? He is one of the climbers I remember from when I first started watching cycling. Apparently he is back racing in his late 40s!

iainf72

Postby iainf72 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:15 am

Pross wrote:Has Raul Alcala had a mention at all? He is one of the climbers I remember from when I first started watching cycling. Apparently he is back racing in his late 40s!

He wasn't really a climber though. He could climb, but I remember him performing very well in TT's
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 20:48 pm

'Some Tours de France are just okay and some are great - but the Tour of '58 was truly sensational. It opened with controversy, witnessed countless astonishing breakaways, and ended with one of the most dramatic and shocking turnarounds in cycling history.

The characters who starred in this drama filled Tour came straight out of Shakespeare. There was the ageing monarch, thre time Tour winner Louison Bobet, a sort of King Lear, along with his French national teammate and defending champion Jaques Anquetil, imagined as an impregnable Julius Caesar looking for a second triumph in his second Tour. The opposition included a third Frenchman, Raphael Geminiani, a Prince Hamlet seeking revenge, and a noble Luxembourger, Charly Gaul, a Brutus like figure who lived above the fray but was ready to get his own back for old grievances. And finally came the Banquo type character, the seemingly innocuous, sympathetic Italian, Vito Favero.'

The opening paragraphs of a superb and long article on this by John Wilcockson which I will type up here when I have time.
Contador is the Greatest

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Tue Jul 24, 2012 19:57 pm

Want to know who the next big climbers are going to be?

Tour du Val d'Aoste. This race could give an indication. It is for espoirs and is packed with mountains. This year there were three summit finishes and 1 Mountain TT. One mountain with a 11% average and a 22% max.

Fabio Aru won it this year, as he did last year. Watch out for him in Astana next year.

Also Jungels. Yeah that same rider you saw in TourdeLux. He won the Queen Stage with a solitary break, finishing a whopping 6mins clear. He is not in the top 10 as he got smoked two other days for about 30mins each time.

Aru

This years results. 10th place is over 20mins back. They should televise this sort of race.
1. Fabio Aru (ITA, Team Palazzago) en 22h09'34"
2. Sergei Chernetckii (Equipe de Russie) à 3'25"
3. Andrea Manfredi (ITA, Hoppla-Wega-Truck) à 3'50"
4. David Formolo (ITA, Petroli Firenze) à 4'12"
5. Gianfranco Zilioli (ITA, Team Colpack) à 4'35"
6. Fausto Masnada (ITA, Team Colpack) à 5'45"
7. Pierre Paolo Penasa (ITA, Zalf-Euromobil-Desirée-Fior) à 7'34"
8. Lachlan David Morton (AUS, Chipotle-First Solar) à 10'10"
9. Francesco-Manuel Bongiorno (ITA, Hoppla-Wega-Truck) à 14'56"
10. Joshua Thomas Edmondson (GBR, Team Colpack) à 21'28"

See here for previous winners. Note among other placings that Pinot won this race and Dan Martin came 2nd.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_la ... 9e_d'Aoste
Contador is the Greatest

FJS

Postby FJS » Tue Jul 24, 2012 21:19 pm

Nice report on Tour d'Aosta, Frenchie. Tour de L'Ain, in a couple of weeks is a bit similar, although not exclusively for young riders, and there's other tours packed with climbs for younger riders, like Tour d'Alsace and Circuito Montanes.

Return to “Pro Race”