2013 TdF Mountain Heavy?

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
knedlicky

Re: 2013 TdF Mountain Heavy?

Postby knedlicky » Wed Jul 25, 2012 21:18 pm

FJS wrote:
afx237vi wrote:Two TTs in the space of 4 stages sounds a bit odd, though.

Yep. And how do they get all the way from Morzine to Paris on the last day? Normally the penultimate day finishes somewhere near a TGV station. And loads of other big transfers there. Is this some guy on a forum having a go at designing a route?

That’s what it looks like to me, someone having a go at guessing/designing a route, but everyone can speculate and everyone does …

… in yesterday’s Dauphine Libere newspaper, there was suggestion that there would two ascents of Alpe d’Huez in the one stage (!)
and a TT around Lake Serre-Ponçon, SE of Gap – the whole circle around the lake would be about 95 km long!

I would expect journalists to have more idea/access to leaked information than guys on forums but now I’m not so sure.

MrT

Postby MrT » Wed Jul 25, 2012 22:00 pm

As I said on another thread Bonnascare/Ax trois domaines likely to feature.

domhopson

Postby domhopson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 23:08 pm

Crozza wrote:No mention of Hesjedal yet, surely he will be targetting next year's TDF

Who?

Sonny73

Postby Sonny73 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 09:01 am

knedlicky wrote:
FJS wrote:
afx237vi wrote:Two TTs in the space of 4 stages sounds a bit odd, though.

Yep. And how do they get all the way from Morzine to Paris on the last day? Normally the penultimate day finishes somewhere near a TGV station. And loads of other big transfers there. Is this some guy on a forum having a go at designing a route?

That’s what it looks like to me, someone having a go at guessing/designing a route, but everyone can speculate and everyone does …

… in yesterday’s Dauphine Libere newspaper, there was suggestion that there would two ascents of Alpe d’Huez in the one stage (!)
and a TT around Lake Serre-Ponçon, SE of Gap – the whole circle around the lake would be about 95 km long!

I would expect journalists to have more idea/access to leaked information than guys on forums but now I’m not so sure.

They threw the idea in to the pot for this or last year's race I think it was, that maybe they would do 2 accents of the Alpe, with the first going back down the Col de Sarenne, but you can see them not wanting to take the history away of going up it just the once. And they'd have to edit 2 bend plaques!!!! :wink:
Also it was busier than ever there last year, doing 2 accents you would think would swell the crowd even more and risk more rider interference and Bertie style punch ups, which the ASO will surely want to avoid.
Still it'd be a great spectacle.

andyrr

Postby andyrr » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:35 am

well, the rumours of at least once up Alpe d'Huez seem to be getting firmer as we're in the process of booking a place for next year's summer holiday right now and are finding that places in the area seem to have this 'knowledge' : I thought that the usual way that the route gets confirmed is for some guys to phone round loads of French towns and see what accommodation is available during the 3 weeks of the TdF ?
Assuming ASO have actually got a definitive route in place then the hotels will have had contact from ASO and this will filter out.

Alpe d'Huez area is maybe super-puopular around this time anyway with the Marmotte and Megavalanch-DH thing.

Sonny73

Postby Sonny73 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:03 pm

andyrr wrote:well, the rumours of at least once up Alpe d'Huez seem to be getting firmer as we're in the process of booking a place for next year's summer holiday right now and are finding that places in the area seem to have this 'knowledge' : I thought that the usual way that the route gets confirmed is for some guys to phone round loads of French towns and see what accommodation is available during the 3 weeks of the TdF ?
Assuming ASO have actually got a definitive route in place then the hotels will have had contact from ASO and this will filter out.

Alpe d'Huez area is maybe super-puopular around this time anyway with the Marmotte and Megavalanch-DH thing.

It's always popular indeed, but even with those non Tour events on it's nowhere near as packed as when the Tour is there. I've been out there earlier this month when they were on and there were places to rent for sure. Several locals we spoke to said the Tour will be there next year with some certainty. Also with it being the 100th Tour and 2 years since the last visit it's a cert really you'd think.

Carl_P

Postby Carl_P » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:46 pm

As a slight aside would time bonuses for stage winners increase the excitement? Dare say they have been tried before, but it strikes me that as soon as a GC rider gets a decent lead mid way through the tour then that's that.

I think until you have a number of contenders all with fairly equal ability, can TT and climb, then it will come down to spoiling tactics from the most dominant rider whatever the stages.

How about a TT on a descent with heavy time bonus. :D
Van Nicholas Euros
Dolan Preffisio
Giant SCR2
Specialized Langster

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...

okgo

Postby okgo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 15:26 pm

inkyfingers wrote:Sounds like a waste of Ventoux to me, at least from the point of view of a spectacle.

Wiggins obviously rode a very good Col d'Eze TT in paris-Nice, but would be interesting to see how he got on against pure climbers in a mountain TT. I reckon Contador would win as he can climb and TT, but I think Wiggins would beat most other "climbers" in a mountain TT as he's so good at measuring his effort.

Not about that though is it. Power to weight and being aero...Not many people better than Wiggo/Froome for that. As far as I can tell its not that contador has anything more in power stakes, just is able to accelerate and burst a lot better?
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

dw300

Postby dw300 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 18:19 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:
iainf72 wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:Contador to smash the hell out of it then.

Quintana is the new Contador.

I suspect ASO have realised this "we'll give them a route and it's up to the riders to make it exciting" stuff just doesn't work. You need a route that breaks people.

I've never heard of Quintana.

Can't be that good.

"F*cking Quintana .. that creep can roll man!"
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

knedlicky

Postby knedlicky » Tue Sep 11, 2012 09:56 am

Here's the latest rumoured route, as per Velowire yesterday evening. The author has already since put out two updates - that stage 9 may go by Bergerac and that stage 12 may start at Vitre, however he thinks both possibilities unlikely.
If correct, ASO are trying to keep to a lot of the towns used in the 1903 Tour, which in turn could mean it will be a good Tour for sprinters.
Also, all the mountains at the end (one brief excursion into the Pyrenees doesn't count) will mean the climbers (and many of us) will have to be patient and sit through a Tour perhaps as dull as this year's sometimes was.
Have Sky made a contribution to ASO?

etape, date, départ, arrivée, remarques

1, sa. 29 juin 2013, Porto Vecchio - Bastia, 200 km
2, di. 30 juin 2013, Bastia - Ajaccio, 155 km
3, lu. 1er juillet 2013, Ajaccio - Calvi, 145 km
4, ma. 2 juillet 2013, Nice, ~20 km - CLM par équipes
5, me. 3 juillet 2013, Cagnes-sur-Mer - Marseille,
6, je. 4 juillet 2013, Aix en Provence - Montpellier,
7, ve. 5 juillet 2013, Montpellier - Lavaur ???,
8, sa. 6 juillet 2013, Toulouse ??? - ???,
9, di. 7 juillet 2013, Pau - Bordeaux,
R1, lu. 8 juillet 2013, repos à Nantes,
10, ma. 9 juillet 2013, Nantes - Saint-Malo,
11, me. 10 juillet 2013, Avranches - Mont Saint-Michel, CLM individuel
12, je. 11 juillet 2013, Fougères - Tours,
13, ve. 12 juillet 2013, départ alentours de Tours ??? - arrivée triangle Montluçon/Saint-Amand-Montrond/Moulins ???,
14, sa. 13 juillet 2013, départ triangle Montluçon/Saint-Amand-Montrond/Moulins ??? - Lyon,
15, di. 14 juillet 2013, Lyon - arrivée alentours d'Avignon ???,
16, lu. 15 juillet 2013, départ alentours d'Avignon ??? - Mont-Ventoux,
17, ma. 16 juillet 2013, Avignon - Gap,
R2, me. 17 juillet 2013, repos à Gap.
18, je. 18 juillet 2013, Gap - Alpe d'Huez, double ascension
19, ve. 19 juillet 2013, ??? - ???, remontée vers le nord dans les Alpes
20, sa. 20 juillet 2013, ??? - ???, CLM individuel (Annecy - Chambéry ?)
21, di. 21 juillet 2013, Montgeron ou Versailles - Paris Champs-Elysées

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:06 am

Corsica is interesting. There are some tough climbs and lovely scenery there.
Contador is the Greatest

inkyfingers

Postby inkyfingers » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:06 am

Hopefully they will take note of what made this Vuelta route work well, which was having uphill finishes in the first week, but nothing so hard as to decide the GC until the final week.

Of course what really made the Vuelta tick was that you had 3 riders who all looked like they could have won it, that is something the organisers can't control unfortunately.
"I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:12 am

A time trial to Mont St Michel. I'm assuming logistics and La Manche will prevent them going all the way.
Twitter: @RichN95

DeadCalm

Postby DeadCalm » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:21 am

10, ma. 9 juillet 2013, Nantes - Saint-Malo,

Yes please. That'll take it close to my house.

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:02 pm

Latest I think:

Contador is the Greatest

durhamwasp

Postby durhamwasp » Sun Oct 07, 2012 19:41 pm

Big rumour now that the tour will finish on the Alpe! Would be an unbelievable stage and finish! :)
http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....

mike6

Postby mike6 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 20:19 pm

inkyfingers wrote:Hopefully they will take note of what made this Vuelta route work well, which was having uphill finishes in the first week, but nothing so hard as to decide the GC until the final week.

Of course what really made the Vuelta tick was that you had 3 riders who all looked like they could have won it, that is something the organisers can't control unfortunately.

Not getting at you, just my personal take, but I thought the Vuelta was a joke. Designed purely to get a Spanish winner. Lots of very steep uphill finishes. Even the TT was designed with a big climb to favour the Spanish climbers.

At least the 2012 Tour had something for everyone. Mountains, TTs, sprints, rolling stages. Had to be an all rounder to win it.

As for that cheat Contador, I noticed in the Vuelta that now he, probably, has to ride clean, he can no longer maintain his attacks. He seems to run out of steam after about 20 seconds, then the others ride back up to him.

If the 2013 Tour is loaded with a stupid amount of mountains it will just slow the whole event because the days of the EPO climbers steaming up the climbs like they don't exist are, hopefully gone for good.

ThomThom

Postby ThomThom » Sun Oct 07, 2012 20:38 pm

durhamwasp wrote:Big rumour now that the tour will finish on the Alpe! Would be an unbelievable stage and finish! :)

An unbelievable logistic chaos that's for sure. The mountain couldn't cope the time trial in 2004 - questionable if it can manage a GT finish.

Vino'sGhost

Postby Vino'sGhost » Sun Oct 07, 2012 21:08 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:Luz Ardiden too?

Hope so, my favourite climb.

FJS

Postby FJS » Mon Oct 08, 2012 05:49 am

durhamwasp wrote:Big rumour now that the tour will finish on the Alpe! Would be an unbelievable stage and finish! :)

That's all based on a speculative newspaper article published 9 months ago somebody decided to retweet - not true

Return to “Pro Race”