Drugs in other sports and the media.

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
proto

Re: Drugs in other sports and the media.

Postby proto » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:53 pm

Pross wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:Thats interesting because there was a 'how-much-more-can-someone-set-themselves-up' tweet by Jonathan Edwards earlier today:

'Read Tyler Hamilton's The Secret Race in a sitting. At once, utterly compelling and depressing. Thankful my sport didnt demand such choices'

Needless to say, I think he's had more than a few dissenting responses...

Someone should point him to the list of current bans here http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/current-violations/ . Only one cyclist and four from UKA including a life ban. Plenty of other sports are worse, why do the media not pick up on this??

And two of them are named ...................................................... Edwards!!
Last edited by proto on Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:57 pm

proto wrote:
Pross wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:Thats interesting because there was a 'how-much-more-can-someone-set-themselves-up' tweet by Jonathan Edwards earlier today:

'Read Tyler Hamilton's The Secret Race in a sitting. At once, utterly compelling and depressing. Thankful my sport didnt demand such choices'

Needless to say, I think he's had more than a few dissenting responses...

Someone should point him to the list of current bans here http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/current-violations/ . Only one cyclist and four from UKA including a life ban. Plenty of other sports are worse, why do the media not pick up on this??

And two of them are named ...................................................... Edwards!!

Goodness knows that the bobsleigher took...

Pross

Postby Pross » Mon Oct 29, 2012 13:01 pm

Shared a steak with Bertie but thought no-one would believe him so made up a story about a Chinese fat burning pill :lol:

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 13:03 pm

Pross wrote:Shared a steak with Bertie but thought no-one would believe him so made up a story about a Chinese fat burning pill :lol:

Oh excellent. I thought for a moment it might be something far-fetched

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Oct 29, 2012 13:51 pm

It's OK to talk about testing in the various sports but what are the thresholds to be Negative. ??

Cycling seems to be more stringent than other sports. !

DeadCalm

Postby DeadCalm » Tue Oct 30, 2012 08:34 am

Vino'sGhost

Postby Vino'sGhost » Tue Oct 30, 2012 08:43 am

DeadCalm wrote:Testing in Tennis a joke...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis ... cling.html

ha i saw that, i did a seperate thread on that one, trotting out the cycling about power tennis about skill..... but otherwise reasonable comments on the whole

Dolan Driver

Postby Dolan Driver » Tue Feb 05, 2013 17:57 pm

The recent exposure of the large-scale match fixing practices within football will reveal a lot about how the sports press view wrong-doing in cycling and in other sports.

http://www.dw.de/europol-exposes-footba ... a-16574490

I heard it described as the biggest scandal ever to befall soccer so I'd imagine it will dominate the sporting and regular news on a daily basis just as the doping-in-cycling scandal has in recent months. Or am I being a little naive? I think I know the answer to that question.

The disgraced cycling heroes of the past may have been doped up but at least they were trying their damnedest to win, save for the odd edition of Liege-Bastogne-Liege and the post-Tour criteriums. That's not excusing the doping cheats or their practices in any way. So it seems cycling doesn't have a monopoly on cheating bastards. Let's hope the wonderful, always-reporting-the-truth media that we know and love hammer the other sports for their wrong-doings just as they have with cycling.

DD.

No tA Doctor

Postby No tA Doctor » Sat Feb 09, 2013 00:44 am

Arsene Wenger wants better testing (blood testing) in football

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013 ... corruption
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

jerry3571

Postby jerry3571 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 09:46 am

Sorry if I have put this on another thread.

This article ties in with the Aussie sportsmen AFL and NRL and doping. Quote-
"It's cheating but it's worse than that, it's cheating with the help of criminals," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21363100

Also this article about the UK Police using Drug Dealers for Steroids (if you can't trust the Police then who can you trust...) :?

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/12/26/illeg ... g-problem/

Jerry

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:08 am

Source WADA
Number of tests vs positives

Contador is the Greatest

Macaloon

Postby Macaloon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:45 pm

I'd read the expose blowing the lid on Curling dopers :o . And where's the acclaim for the crack squad of enforcers from the Bridge community?
...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.

KieranHardman

Postby KieranHardman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 13:15 pm

does anyone know if doping tests are tailored to each sport of if they just run the same battery of tests for each one?

Surely those needed for cycling are very different to those needed for bowling, surfing or bridge.

Rodrego Hernandez

Postby Rodrego Hernandez » Tue Feb 12, 2013 13:28 pm

There's a list (WADA) of substances and methods banned in and out of competition.

Take a look at the UK Sport and WADA websites.

Pross

Postby Pross » Wed Feb 13, 2013 15:00 pm

frenchfighter wrote:Source WADA

That's a really interesting chart and goes to show how much more testing is done in cycling as I suspect a few of the other sports have more active participants (rugby for example). It's a shame it doesn't cover football and tennis though.

LutherB

Postby LutherB » Wed Feb 13, 2013 15:03 pm

'bridge' at the bottom of the chart - that's not the card game is it?!

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 15:58 pm

Pross wrote:
frenchfighter wrote:Source WADA

That's a really interesting chart and goes to show how much more testing is done in cycling as I suspect a few of the other sports have more active participants (rugby for example). It's a shame it doesn't cover football and tennis though.

Yeah. I was hoping to look for football.
Contador is the Greatest

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Feb 14, 2013 09:33 am

Footie and doping

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/luke-jo ... 62165.html

The author tweets as @giggs_boson. He's been tweeting a lot over the Fuentes case

chrisday

Postby chrisday » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:59 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:Footie and doping

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/luke-jo ... 62165.html

The author tweets as @giggs_boson. He's been tweeting a lot over the Fuentes case

That's a cracking article, thanks for the linkage!

Dolan Driver

Postby Dolan Driver » Thu Feb 14, 2013 15:43 pm

Thanks for the link, RR. It looks like at least one media outlet is finally waking up to the reality of drugs in other sports.

It is amazing how many people who follow sports like football, rugby and tennis, to name just three, truly believe that their sport is squeaky clean and that only cycling is dirty. This shows the influence that the media has on people's perception of the world we live in. So many believe that if it is written in the newspapers or it's on the news on TV, it is the absolute truth. I an beginning to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I think all media outlets approach the reporting of news, be it on sports or any other subject, with a certain agenda and their prerogative is to advance that agenda, not to report the truth. There are many honest, decent journalists in the media, but that industry is also saddled with many unscrupulous scumbags.

DD.

Return to “Pro Race”