Seven Deadly Sins

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
iainf72

Seven Deadly Sins

Postby iainf72 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 18:36 pm

I guess people have mentioned it in the Armstrong thread, but it probably gets lost in all the noise of pointless nonsense that gets sprayed around there.

So started reading it yesterday - About a 1/3rd of the way through. It's a very good read - Walsh writes well, and can be quite funny. Just got past a piece around how L'equipe treated a journo we all know and they weren't always as enlightended as we like to think of them.

It's worth a read. It's not as good as Into the Silence (which I urge everyone to read) but a fun little diversion.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

fish156

Re: Seven Deadly Sins

Postby fish156 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 19:50 pm

iainf72 wrote:... Into the Silence (which I urge everyone to read) ...

Author please Iain? Just looked on Amazon & it comes up with books about climbing Everset.

iainf72

Postby iainf72 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 19:54 pm

fish156 wrote:

Author please Iain? Just looked on Amazon & it comes up with books about climbing Everset.

That's the one I meant :P

[I like books about mountaineering]

fish156

Postby fish156 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 20:06 pm

iainf72 wrote:
fish156 wrote:

That's the one I meant :P

[I like books about mountaineering]

Must be a common trait - I've a shelf of cycling books and a shelf of mountaineering books, although not (yet) Into the Silence.

inkyfingers

Postby inkyfingers » Fri Dec 21, 2012 20:12 pm

Another closet mountaineering fan here, thanks for the recommendation.
"I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

iainf72

Postby iainf72 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 08:01 am

Marco Pinotti's book The Cycling Professor has just hit Kindle. We should all buy it (I have)

slimreaper

Postby slimreaper » Sat Dec 22, 2012 21:21 pm

Just finished reading Mad,Bad and Dangerous to know. (Ranulph Feinnes) and found the bits about climbing Everest and The North Face of the Eiger really interesting. ( I have no previous knowledge of mountaineering other than watching Touching the Void). Maybe there is a common link between cycling types and mountaineering. A friend of mine recommended Into the Silence. Said it was an excellent read.

Garry H

Postby Garry H » Sun Dec 23, 2012 14:07 pm

Into the silence isn't as highly thought of within the mountaineering community as it is outside it, as well written as it may be. For some balance, read "The Climb" by Anatoli Boukreev.

Garry H

Postby Garry H » Sun Dec 23, 2012 14:09 pm

slimreaper wrote:Just finished reading Mad,Bad and Dangerous to know. (Ranulph Feinnes) and found the bits about climbing Everest and The North Face of the Eiger really interesting. ( I have no previous knowledge of mountaineering other than watching Touching the Void). Maybe there is a common link between cycling types and mountaineering. A friend of mine recommended Into the Silence. Said it was an excellent read.

The best book on the Eiger is still "The White Spider", by Heinrich Harrer(He of Seven years in Tibet fame, and a Nazi to boot!!)

iainf72

Postby iainf72 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 14:36 pm

Garry H wrote:Into the silence isn't as highly thought of within the mountaineering community as it is outside it, as well written as it may be. For some balance, read "The Climb" by Anatoli Boukreev.

They're about 2 different things though, aren't they? I've read The Climb (96 on Everest) vs Into the Silence about Mallory

Garry H

Postby Garry H » Sun Dec 23, 2012 14:54 pm

iainf72 wrote:
Garry H wrote:Into the silence isn't as highly thought of within the mountaineering community as it is outside it, as well written as it may be. For some balance, read "The Climb" by Anatoli Boukreev.

They're about 2 different things though, aren't they? I've read The Climb (96 on Everest) vs Into the Silence about Mallory

Whoops, you're right.I was thinking of "Into thin air", by Krakauer. Into the Silence is indeed a good read.

ratsbeyfus

Postby ratsbeyfus » Sun Dec 23, 2012 20:08 pm

I also went through a mini phase of reading mountaneering books. Thanks for the tip Iain - it's now on my amazon wish list.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Sun Dec 23, 2012 20:36 pm

I'm surprised how many here are into mountaineering. Can I ask what it is about it that you enjoy? Are the books as good as 'Scott's Last Expedition'?

I've watched Touching the Void and found it superb and can appreciate the skill to climb (a guy at work has climbed Everest). I dislike what it has turned into though through its commericalisation and apparent ease with which nobodies are able to climb at least part way up Everest.
Contador is the Greatest

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Sun Dec 23, 2012 20:40 pm

dupe
Last edited by frenchfighter on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Contador is the Greatest

Cumulonimbus

Postby Cumulonimbus » Sun Dec 23, 2012 20:56 pm

Cheers for the recommendation - i'll give Into The Silence a go. (another cycling and mountaineering fan here)

Cumulonimbus

Postby Cumulonimbus » Sun Dec 23, 2012 21:05 pm

frenchfighter wrote:I'm surprised how many here are into mountaineering. Can I ask what it is about it that you enjoy? Are the books as good as 'Scott's Last Expedition'?

I suppose what got me into cycling was the epicness of the tour, the big climbs etc, so maybe mountaineering and cycling are more similar than you may think?

frenchfighter wrote:I've watched Touching the Void and found it superb and can appreciate the skill to climb (a guy at work has climbed Everest). I dislike what it has turned into though through its commericalisation and apparent ease with which nobodies are able to climb at least part way up Everest.

Yes

inkyfingers

Postby inkyfingers » Sun Dec 23, 2012 23:02 pm

frenchfighter wrote:I'm surprised how many here are into mountaineering. Can I ask what it is about it that you enjoy? Are the books as good as 'Scott's Last Expedition'?

I've watched Touching the Void and found it superb and can appreciate the skill to climb (a guy at work has climbed Everest). I dislike what it has turned into though through its commericalisation and apparent ease with which nobodies are able to climb at least part way up Everest.

I think that Touching The Void is much closer to the true spirit of mountaineering than most modern Everest ascents, a bit like comparing a Cavendish sprint victory to a 100KM solo mountain breakaway maybe.
"I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

Yobtaf xc

Postby Yobtaf xc » Mon Dec 24, 2012 05:02 am

Maybe there is a common link between cycling types and mountaineering. A friend of mine recommended Into the Silence. Said it was an excellent read.Image

lloyd bower

Postby lloyd bower » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:25 am

Garry H wrote:
iainf72 wrote:

Whoops, you're right.I was thinking of "Into thin air", by Krakauer. Into the Silence is indeed a good read.

Ta, for the recommendations re: into the silence. Will add it to my wish list too.

I'd agree re: The Climb offering a more balanced account than Krakauer's of the 96' Everest Controversies, a pity the author died in a avalanche barely a year later.

Re: a mountaineering book, it's difficult to beat Joe Simpson's Touching the Void.

ShinyHelmut

Postby ShinyHelmut » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:34 am

If you like climbing books then have a look at "psychovertical" by Andy Kirkpatrick. Andy Cave's "Learning to Breathe" is also very good.

There is a very good reason the premiere mountaineering literary prize is the Boardman Tasker, I have a hardback compendium of their books which is well worth reading, sadly they are no longer with us.

As Garry H says "The White Spider" is also compulsory reading.

I have many more books on the mountaineering shelf of my bookcase than the cycling one!

Return to “Pro Race”