Postby ddraver » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:34 am

So they were all from 2012 were they..?
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Richmond Racer

Re: Best Quote of 2012

Postby Richmond Racer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:02 am

ddraver wrote:So they were all from 2012 were they..?

Apart from FF's...so come on then, wot you got?

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:53 am

Dave_1 wrote:My favourite Fignon quote, which I still agree with, despite riders wishing very much to finish career on a high, was, at GP Plouay 1993..Fignon DNFd and retired mid race and said of his DNF "nobody remembers how you finish your career, they remember what you won!"
I agree!

Or the one you lost by 8 seconds.....
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

ShinyHelmut

Postby ShinyHelmut » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:14 pm

“Ah. I remember you. You’re the guy who lost the Tour de France by eight seconds.”

“No, monsieur, I’m the guy who won the Tour twice.”

Laurent Fignon. Sadly not in '12 though.

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Fri Dec 28, 2012 17:14 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:
ddraver wrote:So they were all from 2012 were they..?

Apart from FF's...so come on then, wot you got?

I went with Evening Susan...
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

mike6

Postby mike6 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 20:05 pm

frenchfighter wrote:'The Quoteable Cyclist' - Bill Strickland

May well have trouble finding this but keep an eye out on ebay. It's on kindle for a few quid.

Worth a read - 300 pages of quotes (sadly involving MTB and US people also, but small). Hnadful of quotes per page.

"One by one each man ran out of energy and collapsed under Bartali's relentless pressure. He became once again the dazzling magician of the summits, flying on the mountains, reducing to nothing all those who, moments before, were his adversaries. On this execrable planet his gracious pedaling couldn't help but exhort admiration."
-Jacques Goddett

And more from Goddett:
"From snowstorm, water, ice, Bartali arose majestically like an angel covered with mud, wearing under his soaked tunic the precious soul of an exceptional champion."
(on Bartali's 1948 TdF victory).

"In Coppi's veins gas flows, but in Bartali only blood flows."
-Dino Buzzati

"Coppi? Is that the one we followed in the Giro del Piemonte? The guy who is as skinny as an asparagus? He doesn't lack courage, I'll give him that, but I think he's kind of fragile."
-Bartali's first impression of Coppi

And yes, I'm a Bartali admirer.

"Raymond Poulidor wore his malediction like a virtual coat of shining armour."
-Antoine Blondin

"They should not have too many Romingers. That kind of guy gives the impression that he is just out there doing his job. For me, it is a passion. When I stop, I will be proud to have served and glorified the sport of bicycle racing."
-Chiappucci on Rominger (or Contador on many Sky riders)

"As long as I breathe I attack."
-Hinault

For Dave!:
"Fignon showed me the path to follow, the discipline of respect, the art of consent."
-Riis

And one of my favourites:
"My biggest fear is that they will confuse me with another racer."
-Chiappucci

Oh for goodness sake!!!!!! Do we have to go through all this Contador rubbish again?

The fact remains, there was a good reason why Clentador was not at the 2012 Tour.

mroli

Postby mroli » Sat Dec 29, 2012 00:02 am

Richmond Racer wrote:Read the foreword - you'll love it

He writes so well.

Rest of the book - bit meh - thought he was being very complimentary about Froome, but dug a couple of barbs in later on, a lot of the stuff is a rehash of what I've read in the media before, but I think Moore has done a good job at making it readable, but keeping an "authentic" voice. What is really interesting is reading Pendleton's book back to back and seeing the different takes on DB and SS. Oh - and how much BW is going to miss having Yates in the car...

Simon E

Postby Simon E » Wed Jan 23, 2013 22:53 pm

mroli wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:Read the foreword - you'll love it

He writes so well.

Rest of the book - bit meh - thought he was being very complimentary about Froome, but dug a couple of barbs in later on, a lot of the stuff is a rehash of what I've read in the media before, but I think Moore has done a good job at making it readable, but keeping an "authentic" voice. What is really interesting is reading Pendleton's book back to back and seeing the different takes on DB and SS. Oh - and how much BW is going to miss having Yates in the car...

I read My Time last week, the foreword was the most interesting of the book.

To be fair, I could hear Wiggins saying the words so it felt like it was his story, but it just seemed a bit... predictable. Having followed Bradley's recent years closely I'd heard/read most of it already so yes, it was a bit familiar.

Pendleton's book is waiting on the shelf, Owen Slot's piece on VP v Meares in the Bernie's Cycling Anthology Vol 1 whet my appetite (have enjoyed it, each piece is adequately revealing but not overly long. A thread on it here). Really hoping Robert will write something for vol. 2, and 3 and....
Aspire not to have more, but to be more.

Return to “Pro Race”