2013 - Wiggins big choices

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Turfle

Re: 2013 - Wiggins big choices

Postby Turfle » Mon Dec 31, 2012 15:44 pm

Theoretically they could put out a very strong climbing squad, but you'd think ideally they'd like to not use Dan Martin and Talansky in the service of others.

Hesjedal, VDV, Zabriskie, Millar, Stetina, Dekker. That's a lineup that could help Hesjedal if he gets in trouble, but probably not one that could influence the race too much.

Hesjedal, Danielson, VDV, Talansky, Stetina, Martin. That would be a strong top 6, but not an ideal use of resources.

coriordan

Postby coriordan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 09:07 am

Thought I would revive this one rather than start a new one as we are nearing his 1st big race

So what are pre-seasson/race thoughts for SirBW this year?

I don't know much but hoping for an excellent Giro and/or Tour and although I am not a fan of Froome, I would like to see him win something big this year

Macaloon

Postby Macaloon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:01 am

Edit: Toxic link apparently.
Last edited by Macaloon on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.

Crozza

Postby Crozza » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:16 am

Is Wiggins still riding LBL, and if so will he be riding for himself or Henao?

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:25 am

Crozza wrote:Is Wiggins still riding LBL, and if so will he be riding for himself or Henao?

He's not doing it.
Twitter: @RichN95

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:29 am

He's going to ride the Giro having basically 0 racing miles in his legs.

That's bizarre, no?
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

coriordan

Postby coriordan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:32 am

Well this is my thoughts. I recall a great quote prior to last year's tour from bigringriding blog (from the Telegraph in May 12)

“I DID 32,000 METRES OF CLIMBING AROUND TEIDE DURING A TWO-WEEK CAMP LAST MONTH AND, BY THE TIME WE FINISH THIS LATEST FORTNIGHT, I WILL HAVE DONE ANOTHER 32,000 METRES.

“FROM APRIL 1 THIS YEAR TO THE DAY I LINE UP FOR THE TOUR DE FRANCE PROLOGUE ON JUNE 30, I WILL HAVE DONE 100,000 METRES OF HIGH-QUALITY CLIMBING.”

Wonder what the equivalent is to this year.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 am

TailWindHome wrote:He's going to ride the Giro having basically 0 racing miles in his legs.

That's bizarre, no?

The Mallorca races and Oman were training miles, but same cant be said of Catalunya, or Trentino.

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:43 am

TailWindHome wrote:He's going to ride the Giro having basically 0 racing miles in his legs.

That's bizarre, no?

As already mentioned, he did Catalonia seriously, and now this. He's also planning to do the Tour seriously too, so he'll be taking that into account.

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:59 am

RichN95 wrote:

That's bizarre, no?

As already mentioned, he did Catalonia seriously, and now this. He's also planning to do the Tour seriously too, so he'll be taking that into account.

So he's using the Tour as preparation for the Giro?

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:08 am

greasedscotsman wrote:
RichN95 wrote:

That's bizarre, no?

******* Sky. No respect for the traditions of the sport.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:13 am

TailWindHome wrote:
greasedscotsman wrote:
RichN95 wrote:

That's bizarre, no?

Rich's point is that Wiggins is trying to get his form to peak for the Giro and hold it right through to the end of the Tour. That's hardly dissing the Giro.

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:16 am

RichN95 wrote:

That's bizarre, no?

I've no doubt they have a plan and know what they are about.

This time by this time last year he had already raced and won Paris Nice and was still several months away from his big ojective (maybe he still is :wink: )

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:18 am

Richmond Racer wrote:
TailWindHome wrote:
greasedscotsman wrote:
RichN95 wrote:

That's bizarre, no?

Rich's point is that Wiggins is trying to get his form to peak for the Giro and hold it right through to the end of the Tour. That's hardly dissing the Giro.

Oh. I thought they were going to do the Tour first then the Giro. Moneybags, ChooChoo and all that. :wink:

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:25 am

Richmond Racer wrote:Rich's point is that Wiggins is trying to get his form to peak for the Giro and hold it right through to the end of the Tour. That's hardly dissing the Giro.

I thought Sky's theory was that you didn't need to peak for particular races, you could hold your form throughout the entire season, as demonstrated last year by Wiggins. If he can hold his form from Paris Nice to the Olympics, then the Giro to the Tour shouldn't be a problem.

morstar

Postby morstar » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:28 am

Winning all those early races last year was about Brad (and the team) becoming familiar with the pressures attached to being race leader prior to the main objective. They are doing a similar thing with Froome this year whereas Brad just needs to balance quality training and some (but much less) serious racing miles.

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:32 am

That's bizarre, no?

Straight from the Schleck Book of racing technique....
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:32 am

greasedscotsman wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:Rich's point is that Wiggins is trying to get his form to peak for the Giro and hold it right through to the end of the Tour. That's hardly dissing the Giro.

I thought Sky's theory was that you didn't need to peak for particular races, you could hold your form throughout the entire season, as demonstrated last year by Wiggins. If he can hold his form from Paris Nice to the Olympics, then the Giro to the Tour shouldn't be a problem.

No they didn't peak for months, they had monthly cycles aiming at peaking once a month. Their theory is that you can be in sufficiently good form once a month to do one or two mountain stages and one time trial really well - which is all you need to do to win a one week race - you don't have to be in form for all of March to win Paris-Nice, just two days. The rest of the time is training and rest. At a Grand Tour that doesn't apply, so a different approach is required.
Last edited by RichN95 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:34 am

greasedscotsman wrote:

If it makes you happier, call it getting form to the point that gives him the maximum possibility of winning the chuffing races...And surely just because you're successful in getting it right one year, it doesnt guarantee that you'll be able to replicate it every year thereafter without fail- there are only so many non-variables..

*thinks of turning to some class B after the stress of this morning*

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:35 am

morstar wrote:Winning all those early races last year was about Brad (and the team) becoming familiar with the pressures attached to being race leader prior to the main objective. They are doing a similar thing with Froome this year whereas Brad just needs to balance quality training and some (but much less) serious racing miles.

Good point. Well made.

S'pose the Giro has plenty of quality miles too before the big days come.

Return to “Pro Race”