BBC1 29/12 6:45pm - Superstars is back

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Richmond Racer

Re: BBC1 29/12 6:45pm - Superstars is back

Postby Richmond Racer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 20:39 pm

Yellow Peril wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:Joshua showed some excellent form on the bike - though too much showboating almost lost him his win on the line

lol! he was like Boonen in the schelderprijs a few years ago with posh rower AKA Cav coming under his armpit!

Exactly like!

Daz555

Postby Daz555 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 01:01 am

The clip they showed of Brian Jacks smashing through 100 dips showed how serious this was taken back in the day.
You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Tue Jan 01, 2013 01:01 am

I wish they would bring it back properly
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

lloyd bower

Postby lloyd bower » Tue Jan 01, 2013 08:52 am

Yeah, used to be fun back in the late 70's, and was taken seriously. Still remember Kevin Keegan then playing for Liverpool coming off the bike, difficult to enivisage Alex Fergueson et al allowing one of his top stars to take part, say Wayne Rooney.

I recall it being brought back for a few episodes back in 2002, think Boardman did quite well, might have won if he been allowed to do the mtn biking event. The events they were forced to sit out always made a difference.

Wallace and Gromit

Postby Wallace and Gromit » Tue Jan 01, 2013 09:23 am

Yellow Peril wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:lol! he was like Boonen in the schelderprijs a few years ago with posh rower AKA Cav coming under his armpit!

Minor point, but Andy Triggs-Hodge isn't posh by the usual assessment of things. He went to Upper Wharfedale School (a state school) and Staffordshire University, where he took up rowing. Such was his talent on the water that he found his way to Oxford Uni as a post-grad. There was much greater poshness - particularly on the ladies' side - elsewhere!

I thought the show was great fun; the main difference between the Brian Jacks days and today is that the competitors are much better at looking like they're not taking it seriously. The competition was pretty fierce, even in the demo swimming race between Dame Rebecca, Michael Jamieson and Iwan Thomas.

I was very surprised at how slow the Brownlees were over 100m; maybe they got bad starts or were saving their hamstrings, but they (particularly Al) weren't much slower on average in the 800m than the 100m.

Did chuckle at Lizzie's "dips". She did at least beat Joop Zoetemelk who, if memory serves, failed to trouble the scorers in the 70s. She looked quite nifty as a distance runner, though. (As an aside, I remember being astonished when Chris Boardman did a Sport Relief or Comic Relief version of Superstars back in 2002 that he did over 50 dips. No wonder he couldn't climb hills with that sort of upper body bulk to haul up with him!)

Wallace and Gromit

Postby Wallace and Gromit » Tue Jan 01, 2013 09:30 am

Daz555 wrote:The clip they showed of Brian Jacks smashing through 100 dips showed how serious this was taken back in the day.

Jacks was essentially a "Professional Superstar" if memory serves. He'd certainly long since retired from Judo. He was one of my heroes in the 70s/80s. I was always gutted when he came up short in the international version. Never did warm to Brian Hooper, who won the World Superstars once. Andy Ripley (RIP) was another giant of that Superstars era.

If you like a bit of nostalgia, there is the 1980 Superstars final on You Tube somewhere. It's in parts, and the part containing the 100m is missing, which is a shame, but the epic weightlifting competition between Jacks and Daley Thompson is there. As Daley had won the Olympic Decathlon between the heats and the final, he wasn't fully prepared for the whole competition, but he clearly had his eye on the weightlifting event!

Return to “Pro Race”