Cav and Tour de San Luis

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Richmond Racer

Re: Cav and Tour de San Luis

Postby Richmond Racer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:52 am

Rick Chasey wrote:
TailWindHome wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:Boonen is a bigger priority for QS at the moment. Cav is there mainly for GT presence. Boonen needs to be in pretty reasonable shape by March so he can peak early April.

'You be the DS'

1 Who gets priority treatment for MSR?*

2 Will Boonen ride the TDF and will he act as a lead out man for Cav?

Assign one man to Cav, one to Boonen. If Cav makes it to the Poggio with the front group, everyone rides for him.

As soon as Cav is dropped (before Poggio) all riding is for Tom. General race tactics are to ride for sprint finish regardless of who does the sprinting for QS.

Tom wont do the TdF. He hates it.

I have to defer to the Rick-ster AND GREASED*, in matters relating to the mighty Belgies' tactics. I fear that that one of Cav's holy grails will always be a 2nd MSR win, and many domestiques will get used in the process to achieve this over the next few years, irrespective of whatever team he's on

*EDIT
Last edited by Richmond Racer on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:54 am

Richmond Racer wrote:I will always have to defer to the Rick-ster in matters relating to the mighty Belgies' tactics

I don't know why I bother. :cry:

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:56 am

greasedscotsman wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:I will always have to defer to the Rick-ster in matters relating to the mighty Belgies' tactics

I don't know why I bother. :cry:

Erm...I meant to type '..as well as Greased...' :wink:

I'll just go and edit...

Me, I know toot about the Belgies tactics

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:58 am

Richmond Racer wrote:Erm...I meant to type '..as well as Greased...' :wink:

I know toot about the Belgies tactics

To be fair, I will defer to him on Boonen factual facts. I have no idea what Tom has for breakfast. :D

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:08 pm

Good answer Rick, you offer great tactical insight and knowledge and are a real asset to the forum.

We'd be lost without you :wink:

For Boonen to win he needs to be in the break group with a gap coming of the Poggio and not have Sagan on his wheel.

I think it's in OPQS interest to prioritise Cavendish from the get go and ride with a bunch finish in mind. It do give them the same problem as Team GB in the Olympics were they'll get no help and the pace needed to keep it together will blow Cav out the back...

God I'm exshited....
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

All this talk's making me ponder a leetle trip over for the weekend to watch the finish. anyone here made the trip before to watch the race?

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:50 pm

Boonen won't be let up the road when it's flat and can't get up the road to follow the Nibalis, Gerrans and Gilberts of this world when it points upwards.

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 13:08 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:Boonen won't be let up the road when it's flat and can't get up the road to follow the Nibalis, Gerrans and Gilberts of this world when it points upwards.

He seems to do OK on the Koppenberg/Kwaremont/Paterberg. It's not like the Poggio is La Redoute. Has he ever tried to get into a break? No, because he's usually waiting for the sprint, which without Cavendish would be OPQS's best chance of winning.

It always amazes me how little attacking there is in Milan San Remo. If I'm DS of any team, I would be telling my riders to go for it!

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Jan 09, 2013 14:16 pm

He always loses about 10-15 places on the way up the Poggio. Doesn't strike me as someone who can leave the peloton up it.

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 14:24 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:He always loses about 10-15 places on the way up the Poggio. Doesn't strike me as someone who can leave the peloton up it.

Alright, attack before they get there.

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Jan 09, 2013 20:16 pm

greasedscotsman wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:He always loses about 10-15 places on the way up the Poggio. Doesn't strike me as someone who can leave the peloton up it.

Alright, attack before they get there.

No-one would let him. That's the point.

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 20:21 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:No-one would let him. That's the point.

Has he ever tried to attack in Milan San Remo? Point is, if he can get away in a break, who's going to want to bring him back and bring Cavendish back into the race (if he's there).

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Jan 09, 2013 20:26 pm

greasedscotsman wrote:

Has he ever tried to attack in Milan San Remo? Point is, if he can get away in a break, who's going to want to bring him back and bring Cavendish back into the race (if he's there).

Who in their right mind would let Boonen go, and who in their right mind would ride with him?

Cancellara I get, but Boonen?

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 20:31 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:Who in their right mind would let Boonen go, and who in their right mind would ride with him?

Ballan and Pozatto did at Flanders last year. They both obviously thought they could beat him.

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 20:35 pm

And didn't Sep Vanmarcke and Juan Antonio Flecha work with Boonen at Het Nieuwsblad as well?

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Wed Jan 09, 2013 21:01 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:
greasedscotsman wrote:

Who in their right mind would let Boonen go, and who in their right mind would ride with him?

Everyone, this time last year

('cept me... #boast)
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

TMR

Postby TMR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 21:11 pm

greasedscotsman wrote:It always amazes me how little attacking there is in Milan San Remo. If I'm DS of any team, I would be telling my riders to go for it!

No egg sucking intended, but you know it's pretty much 300KM right? They are all hanging out of their arses, that's why there's no attacking :wink:
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Jan 09, 2013 21:15 pm

greasedscotsman wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:Who in their right mind would let Boonen go, and who in their right mind would ride with him?

Ballan and Pozatto did at Flanders last year. They both obviously thought they could beat him.

that was natural course selection.

More or less no-one else could follow.

Lots of people can and will in M- SR.

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 21:52 pm

The Mad Rapper wrote:No egg sucking intended, but you know it's pretty much 300KM right? They are all hanging out of their arses, that's why there's no attacking :wink:

Sure, it's a tough race. But all pro races are. They all don't end up as bunch finishes, do they?

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Wed Jan 09, 2013 21:55 pm

greasedscotsman wrote:
The Mad Rapper wrote:No egg sucking intended, but you know it's pretty much 300KM right? They are all hanging out of their arses, that's why there's no attacking :wink:

Sure, it's a tough race. But all pro races are. They all don't end up as bunch finishes, do they?

300km? That's too far for [insert as appropriate]
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

Return to “Pro Race”