Wiggins loses sideburns / wont ride the tour to win

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Re: Wiggins loses sideburns / wont ride the tour to win

Postby Rick Chasey » Tue Jan 22, 2013 13:58 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:Risking sounding like a broken record:

Froome still has to win a stage race. Any race. Even an SSR.

Does winning stages not count?

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Tue Jan 22, 2013 14:02 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:...Others were on bottle & cape duty

Rapha have missed a trick there

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Tue Jan 22, 2013 14:08 pm

pat1cp wrote:"I don't want to be a celebrity," said Wiggins, explaining that at New Year he went skiing in the Alps with friends and went out to a New Year's Eve party dressed as Batman. "Someone recognised me in spite of the mask, asked me if I was Bradley Wiggins and I said I was called Jeremy ... I didn't want someone taking a photo of me dressed as Batman."

Wiggins as Batman, indeed. As this photo of him with Dave Brailsford on New Year's Eve suggests, this is more lies from the Sky camp

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Tue Jan 22, 2013 14:09 pm

Keep going lads you need a few more pages before the day ends to fit into the model. Any thread about Sky, Wiggins, Froome, Cavendish or British element needs to have posters scrabbling to put their thoughts down.

FYI, here is a thread on Froome and the Tour lead:
viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12892383
Contador is the Greatest

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 14:12 pm

nic_77 wrote:Well Fenton's girlfriend is back on the case... paging Mrs Wiggins

@michellecound:
No, really? :P RT @CyclingRightNow: Wiggins: Froome may be leader http://goo.gl/fb/1iYkI #cycling #skysports

@VeloViking:
@michellecound After reading Wiggins' book where he explains their relationship during last years Tour, I can't see that turning out well

@michellecound
@VeloViking haven't read it, don't care to either :wink: maybe he'll give his spot up to someone willing to give their all!

Lady Wiggo has, like her husband, left Twitter. Unlike The Mouth of the South here.

Expect the media to leap on every gobshite tweet of hers and turn them into entire articles.

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Tue Jan 22, 2013 14:16 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:Expect the media to leap on every gobshite tweet of hers and turn them into entire articles.

Nice quote from an old school pro on 'those' 'journos'. Creating something out of nothing from their bedrooms.
Contador is the Greatest

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 14:22 pm

frenchfighter wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:Expect the media to leap on every gobshite tweet of hers and turn them into entire articles.

Nice quote from an old school pro on 'those' 'journos'. Creating something out of nothing from their bedrooms.

Yep, good quote.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 14:26 pm

OCDuPalais wrote:
pat1cp wrote:"I don't want to be a celebrity," said Wiggins, explaining that at New Year he went skiing in the Alps with friends and went out to a New Year's Eve party dressed as Batman. "Someone recognised me in spite of the mask, asked me if I was Bradley Wiggins and I said I was called Jeremy ... I didn't want someone taking a photo of me dressed as Batman."

Wiggins as Batman, indeed. As this photo of him with Dave Brailsford on New Year's Eve suggests, this is more lies from the Sky camp

That had better be Gatorade in SurDave-as-Robin's hand, or there'll be hell to pay, sponsor-wise

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Tue Jan 22, 2013 14:27 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:
frenchfighter wrote:

Yep, good quote.

Forgot to add in my post I mean from the Cycling Anthology book.
Contador is the Greatest

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Tue Jan 22, 2013 14:38 pm

frenchfighter wrote:Keep going lads you need a few more pages before the day ends to fit into the model. Any thread about Sky, Wiggins, Froome, Cavendish or British element needs to have posters scrabbling to put their thoughts down.

With the World's No1 team, our first Tour winner, the fastest guy on the planet - and the image of the sport struggling to get out of a quagmire largely of its own making - you won't begrudge a few sheepish posters a moment or two to bask in the glory, will you? Not on a British forum, shurely? Besides; being British means that many of us don't expect it last.

Don't worry, though, FF - Puerto's back on the scene from next week, so we can expect Bertie's name back on the agenda...

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Tue Jan 22, 2013 14:57 pm

OCDuPalais wrote:you won't begrudge a few sheepish posters a moment or two to bask in the glory, will you?

Let me kindly draw your attention to these two threads - their content, the OP and their continuation may all be of interest to you.

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12865063&p=17728454
viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12869259&p=17774986

And you don't want to know how many results 'wiggins' gets back on my online photo account.
Contador is the Greatest

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Tue Jan 22, 2013 15:09 pm

frenchfighter wrote:
OCDuPalais wrote:you won't begrudge a few sheepish posters a moment or two to bask in the glory, will you?

Let me kindly draw your attention to these two threads - their content, the OP and their continuation may all be of interest to you.

And you don't want to know how many results 'wiggins' gets back on my online photo account.

That's very kind of you.

Now put 'Contador' in the 'search topic' function and you get 198 thread counts... Does that mean no new ones should be started?
It stands to reason that the most successful riders will generate lots of interest and that there will be parallel/duplicate threads and comments.

nic_77

Postby nic_77 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 15:51 pm

OCDuPalais wrote:Now put 'Contador' in the 'search topic' function and you get 198 thread counts...

Any thoughts on how many of these discuss his shameful, unabashed, proven cheating?
No place in cycling.

Pross

Postby Pross » Tue Jan 22, 2013 16:08 pm

nic_77 wrote:
OCDuPalais wrote:Now put 'Contador' in the 'search topic' function and you get 198 thread counts...

Any thoughts on how many of these discuss his shameful, unabashed, proven cheating?
No place in cycling.

And the rest are probably all started by the same person with the initials FF.

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Tue Jan 22, 2013 17:50 pm

frenchfighter wrote:

I'm conflicted.

While FF is coming across as a bit of a **** he is also correct. There's far too much thread churn on here with the same topic being discussed in multiple threads.

Unfortunately I don't have any construction suggestion on how to improve this.
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Tue Jan 22, 2013 17:51 pm

But anyway... the thing that most caught my attention in the Guardian article posted by OP was Wiggins contemplating having a decent bash at L-B-L prior to Giro (used to be my fave classic, but seems to have lost some of its lustre in the last decade...). Tour champion doing the Spring Classics always goes down well with the grumpy purists...

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 17:59 pm

Ooh yes. He'd have to turn up the diesal engine and then do a monstrous TT to the finish

Whether or not he stands a chance at least he fancies a shot at new goals

A more complete summary of the two interviews
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins ... al-of-2013

Mooro

Postby Mooro » Tue Jan 22, 2013 20:07 pm

TailWindHome wrote:
frenchfighter wrote:

I'm conflicted.

While FF is coming across as a bit of a **** he is also correct. There's far too much thread churn on here with the same topic being discussed in multiple threads.

Unfortunately I don't have any construction suggestion on how to improve this.

In my defence (do i need representation?) I did have a scoot down the first page to see if I could fine the froome thread at lunchtime but possibly missed it (don't get much time for lunch) but I did think this interesting to add. For the two suggested threads this doesn't have a picture of wiggins nor is it about wiggins in 2012.

The common problem with the longer threads if that they often go off topic which poses other issues...plus I also read these threads after the event as is the case here!

Rigga

Postby Rigga » Tue Jan 22, 2013 20:29 pm

Wiggo is better at time trials than froome though isn't he ? Surely he's gonna blitz froome every time it's a tt,?

Daz555

Postby Daz555 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 22:34 pm

Rigga wrote:Wiggo is better at time trials than froome though isn't he ? Surely he's gonna blitz froome every time it's a tt,?

His 2012 form put him in a different class to every rider on the planet in the TT.
You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.

Return to “Pro Race”