Puerto trial

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
sherer

Re: Puerto trial

Postby sherer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 17:07 pm

still not sure I believe Basso with his "I didn't dope but thought I might want to in the future so stored my blood just in case"

Blazing Saddles

Postby Blazing Saddles » Mon Feb 11, 2013 18:06 pm

sherer wrote:still not sure I believe Basso with his "I didn't dope but thought I might want to in the future so stored my blood just in case"

At 4 grand a bag, just to keep it in a fridge?
I'm pretty sure it's not believable.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

ShinyHelmut

Postby ShinyHelmut » Mon Feb 11, 2013 18:14 pm

frenchfighter wrote:Basso was one of the very first to admit involvement with Fuentes and serve a two year ban - 6 years ago or so. I'd take Basso's word over a ton of riders.

He was and still is a supremely talented and classy rider. He was 50x better than Hamilton then and still is.

Funny isn't it that he's nowhere near as classy as he was pre-puerto?

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 20:22 pm

Maybe watch him racing more. His Giro win would be a good place to start - some serious panache and attacking there.

If my photo site was working I would drop 10s of photos of him in action.
Contador is the Greatest

No tA Doctor

Postby No tA Doctor » Mon Feb 11, 2013 20:52 pm

frenchfighter wrote:Maybe watch him racing more. His Giro win would be a good place to start - some serious panache and attacking there.

In it's own thread then please FF. I like your pics, but not in threads I'm reading on the phone!
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

pat1cp

Postby pat1cp » Mon Feb 11, 2013 21:14 pm

frenchfighter wrote:Maybe watch him racing more. His Giro win would be a good place to start - some serious panache and attacking there.

Which one?

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 21:16 pm

No tA Doctor wrote:

In it's own thread then please FF. I like your pics, but not in threads I'm reading on the phone!

Haha, ok sure : )
Contador is the Greatest

bipedal

Postby bipedal » Mon Feb 11, 2013 23:13 pm

frenchfighter wrote:Basso was one of the very first to admit involvement with Fuentes and serve a two year ban - 6 years ago or so. I'd take Basso's word over a ton of riders.

He was and still is a supremely talented and classy rider. He was 50x better than Hamilton then and still is.

He didn't voluntarily admit involvement. He was forced into it by CONI who unlike Spanish authorities actually bothered to investigate Puerto doping. And even then he admitted as little as possible in order to keep his E.T. Giro win... he's a joke, has been a shadow of his former self since returning, and hasn't made any effort to fight doping... And those that believe his story about paying a fortune to "store" blood are delusional

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Mon Feb 11, 2013 23:24 pm

bipedal wrote:... And if you believe his story about paying a fortune to "store" blood, then you're delusional

On the other hand, Basso got a good deal for the Fuentes fridge bill when you consider Schleck paid Fuentes €7000 to Tippex out the name "Bjarne" and replace it with "Frank" at the top of an old training plan...

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 09:22 am

Basso could be in trouble

http://ciclismo.as.com/ciclismo/2013/02 ... 01974.html

To back up what he told CONI in 07, he swore under oath yday that he started working with Fuentes in Oct 05. But yesterday he was show a fax with his Fuentes code name Birillo (his dog, of course) and showing his order - and dated 27 Apr 05.

Gazzetta are mentioning possibility of him being had up for perjury...and of course, CONI re-opening his file - or opening new one.

EDIT: more clarity in roadcc''s coverage just posted on its site. It points to Gazzeta publishing notes in Fuentes' handwriting dating back to 03 and 04 that point to Basso blood doping and using EPO.

http://road.cc/content/news/76158-gazze ... g-evidence
Last edited by Richmond Racer on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

r0bh

Postby r0bh » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:17 am

sherer wrote:still not sure I believe Basso with his "I didn't dope but thought I might want to in the future so stored my blood just in case"

Ha ha! Seriously, Basso's "I smoked but didn't inhale" excuse is about as believable as Contador's dodgy steak i.e. not at all.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:55 am

Meanwhile, in today's proceedings, Isidro Nozal's appearance in the stand appears to be pushing or even overstepping the boundaries into perjury - at least, from the way that he's had to be reminded that he's on oath, and perjury could led to prison time - and the WADA lawyer has asked the judge to remind the next witness of this.
Last edited by Richmond Racer on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:59 am

....and the forensic expert hired by Jesus Manzano' and due to appear at the trial tomorrow has died after a heart attack, its reported.

Cue the conspirary theorists.

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:13 am

Richmond Racer wrote:....and the forensic expert hired by Jesus Manzano' and due to appear at the trial tomorrow has died after a heart attack, its reported.

Cue the conspirary theorists.

Putting any such conspiracies to one side for a moment, I had been wondering about the pressures some of these folk must be under - from all sides; the riders, ex-riders, doctors, advisers, experts, etc - guilty or not - fighting for their careers, reputations and freedom... and was thinking particularly of Contador and how he could possibly be able to continue competing with all this hanging over his head (guilty of his Fuentes connection or not)? I imagine I'd be gently rocking in a darkened room to the sound of birdsong until it all went away.
I guess, like we saw with Armstrong, eventually it all becomes engrained into your life... but flipping heck!

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:18 am

Yes, can hardly be tranquilo or serene underneath the veneer.

Meanwhile Joseba Beloki's on the stand, continuing to deny working with Fuentes, doping, uncle tom cobbley and all. Just been shown what's thought to be his doping calendar, with his phone number on it. Initials JB also on documenation.

johnboy183

Postby johnboy183 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:26 am

^^ wondering where everyone is getting the info from direct from the trial? Is it all via twitter?^^

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:36 am

yes, Twitter is our friend

Forgot to mention that Angel Vicioso was meant to appear in court but has a medical report to excuse him. Trust that this only means a rescheduling of his appearance, not that he gets let off altogether.

bipedal

Postby bipedal » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:42 pm

Riis teasing again: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/riis-st ... ion-puerto

He's basically willing to talk if there are no consequences. The Danish authorities need to step in and deal with him. He's no better than Saiz, Bruyneel et al.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:51 pm

bipedal wrote:Riis teasing again: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/riis-st ... ion-puerto

He's basically willing to talk if there are no consequences. The Danish authorities need to step in and deal with him. He's no better than Saiz, Bruyneel et al.

Agreed - and its driving the likes of Danish Cycling Fed and the Danish AD agency mad http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/11/ ... ark_264950
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/wo ... 6557066610

They also say they're powerless because Riis doesnt have a licence with the Danes but with the UCI - and so they have no power over him, and the UCI have to take it up
Last edited by Richmond Racer on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andyp

Postby andyp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Arguably he's worse, as he doped to win the Tour. has run team wide doping programmes as a manager, and facilitated individual doping of riders on his team.

The sport would be better off without parasites like Riis.

Return to “Pro Race”