Be honest, will Froome win the Tour?

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Richmond Racer

Re: Be honest, will Froome win the Tour?

Postby Richmond Racer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 18:08 pm

rob churchill wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:Castelli

Thanks, but no thanks. I could maybe wear an Assos strait-jacket, but only on dress-down Friday.

A man of high standards, its apparent

rob churchill

Postby rob churchill » Mon Feb 04, 2013 18:26 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:
rob churchill wrote:

Thanks, but no thanks. I could maybe wear an Assos strait-jacket, but only on dress-down Friday.

You can be anything you want on the internetz. The sad truth is, all my strait-jackets are last season's DHB.
I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.

mallorcajeff

Postby mallorcajeff » Mon Feb 04, 2013 21:02 pm

I was talking to somebody very senior in team sky a little while ago and off record his money was on contador. Also backed up my suspicion that froome was an ar5ehole in real life and not liked on the team at all, which did make me chuckle. I want contador to take it. Weather he will be eating magic burgers again remains to be seen

Macaloon

Postby Macaloon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:25 am

If Froome can serve up a few of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDhLx2Ue_xI, I don't care if he wins or not. I suspect most here were on our feet at the time. Shame if perfectly healthy intra-team rivalry blinds us to great performances.
...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.

calvjones

Postby calvjones » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:40 am

rob churchill wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:
rob churchill wrote:

You can be anything you want on the internetz. The sad truth is, all my strait-jackets are last season's DHB.

I was going to re-tweet this but then realised I wasn't on twitter. :roll:

Strava is not Zen.

RichA

Postby RichA » Tue Feb 05, 2013 21:53 pm

Macaloon wrote:If Froome can serve up a few of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDhLx2Ue_xI, I don't care if he wins or not. I suspect most here were on our feet at the time. Shame if perfectly healthy intra-team rivalry blinds us to great performances.

Impressive. But Cobo aint no Contador, Schlect, etc

micron

Postby micron » Tue Feb 05, 2013 23:37 pm

mallorcajeff wrote:I was talking to somebody very senior in team sky a little while ago and off record his money was on contador. Also backed up my suspicion that froome was an ar5ehole in real life and not liked on the team at all, which did make me chuckle. I want contador to take it. Weather he will be eating magic burgers again remains to be seen

Interesting - so send Froome to the slaughter? You think wiggins will try the double instead? Beating contador in the tour would surely cement his reputation or better to wait for a route that's more sympa like 2012?

Macaloon

Postby Macaloon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 23:47 pm

RichA wrote:
Macaloon wrote:If Froome can serve up a few of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDhLx2Ue_xI, I don't care if he wins or not. I suspect most here were on our feet at the time. Shame if perfectly healthy intra-team rivalry blinds us to great performances.

Impressive. But Cobo aint no Contador, Schlect, etc

Exactly. Which would make it all the more exciting should he perform as well up a level.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 23:55 pm

micron wrote:
mallorcajeff wrote:I was talking to somebody very senior in team sky a little while ago and off record his money was on contador. Also backed up my suspicion that froome was an ar5ehole in real life and not liked on the team at all, which did make me chuckle. I want contador to take it. Weather he will be eating magic burgers again remains to be seen

Interesting - so send Froome to the slaughter? You think wiggins will try the double instead? Beating contador in the tour would surely cement his reputation or better to wait for a route that's more sympa like 2012?

No, Sky will fully support their chosen leader. the one and only Froomedog. He's going to be fantastic.

Dolan Driver

Postby Dolan Driver » Wed Feb 06, 2013 00:19 am

Will Froome win the Tour? Let's hope so. It'd be a shame to see the likes of Contador on the top step of the podium again.

DD.

powerbookboy

Postby powerbookboy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 08:35 am

No one's mentioned the Team Time Trial. Ok, so it's 25km, so not exactly a long one, and Saxo have strengthened the team as a whole this winter, but how much time do we reckon Contador's going to lose on that day alone? 60 secs?

Added to the Individual TT I reckon he's got to make up around 2mins on Froome in the mountains. No time bonuses at the Tour either.

I think the Spanish triumvirate of JRod*, Valve and Bertie are going to have to work together to break Sky on the climbs. Whether their teams will co-ordinate in any way I somewhat doubt. Sky have 3 potential podium riders in Froome, Uran and Wiggins. Sequentially mark the attacks, make sure you always have one rider in the break, suffocate the race.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Sky are holding all the cards

* I know, I know.

Macaloon

Postby Macaloon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 08:51 am

powerbookboy wrote:No one's mentioned the Team Time Trial. Ok, so it's 25km, so not exactly a long one, and Saxo have strengthened the team as a whole this winter, but how much time do we reckon Contador's going to lose on that day alone? 60 secs?

Added to the Individual TT I reckon he's got to make up around 2mins on Froome in the mountains. No time bonuses at the Tour either.

Qatar TTT 14km Sky took 21s out of Saxo. Both teams no-doubt weaker than tour squads; Saxo more so since less squad depth? Interesting numbers. Comeback Contador not shown ability to hold onto dramatic gains.

durhamwasp

Postby durhamwasp » Wed Feb 06, 2013 09:40 am

Schleck at 10/1 is pretty good odds, given his recent performances in the tour (2nd, 1st, 2nd) and the fact theres limited time trial distance in this coming one.
http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....

durhamwasp

Postby durhamwasp » Wed Feb 06, 2013 09:42 am

You want convicted doper Contador to beat British ride Froome, because you heard he is an ar5ehole?
http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....

powerbookboy

Postby powerbookboy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 09:46 am

Macaloon wrote:
powerbookboy wrote:No one's mentioned the Team Time Trial. Ok, so it's 25km, so not exactly a long one, and Saxo have strengthened the team as a whole this winter, but how much time do we reckon Contador's going to lose on that day alone? 60 secs?

Qatar TTT 14km Sky took 21s out of Saxo. Both teams no-doubt weaker than tour squads; Saxo more so since less squad depth? Interesting numbers. Comeback Contador not shown ability to hold onto dramatic gains.

And Sky admitted they got the tactics wrong and went out too hard - look at the time BMC pulled back on the downwind stretch...

powerbookboy

Postby powerbookboy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 09:48 am

durhamwasp wrote:Schleck at 10/1 is pretty good odds, given his recent performances in the tour (2nd, 1st, 2nd) and the fact theres limited time trial distance in this coming one.

Hmmmm. I think it's quite likely that Schlecks going to be living on past glories henceforth. I wouldn't fancy him at 10/1...

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:28 am

That is one example of many. More please.

Contador is the Greatest

clanton

Postby clanton » Wed Feb 06, 2013 13:40 pm

I have never met the man personally - but he took the time to make it to the impromptu Burry Stander memorial ride in Johannesburg the day after he was killed and spoke very well there. So till I see otherwise he is in my list of good guys.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 14:16 pm

clanton wrote:I have never met the man personally - but he took the time to make it to the impromptu Burry Stander memorial ride in Johannesburg the day after he was killed and spoke very well there. So till I see otherwise he is in my list of good guys.

Good to hear someone's first hand impression.

symo

Postby symo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 09:25 am

clanton wrote:I have never met the man personally - but he took the time to make it to the impromptu Burry Stander memorial ride in Johannesburg the day after he was killed and spoke very well there. So till I see otherwise he is in my list of good guys.

You do realise that this is the internet and basing your views on first hand experience is not going to make you popular.
:D
+++++++++++++++++++++
we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.

Return to “Pro Race”