:wink:

You win this lovely garden gnome!

:wink:
Correlation is not causation.

"He's not the new Merckx, he's just a very talented cyclist!"

Macaloon

Re: Tour of Qatar *spoiler*

Postby Macaloon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 22:38 pm

Last 4km looked like teams taking turns to practice trains in 'race' conditions. If you look at overhead finale coverage, Cav is moving up sweetly. He's lost when the shot switches to head on. Carlton was just confused by the train practice.

Thanks for the link btw.
...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Fri Feb 08, 2013 22:53 pm

The last few K of any hectic sprint finish is where the good commentators separate themselves from The Duffers...
To be fair to Carlton, he'd already dismissed Cav's chances for the stage and I think his attention was concentrated on the other contenders. I suspect his indignation at some bloke winning that he hadn't really mentioned in the last 200m was countered by the fact that it was Cavendish.

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 23:02 pm

OCDuPalais wrote:The last few K of any hectic sprint finish is where the good commentators separate themselves from The Duffers...
To be fair to Carlton, he'd already dismissed Cav's chances for the stage and I think his attention was concentrated on the other contenders. I suspect his indignation at some bloke winning that he hadn't really mentioned in the last 200m was countered by the fact that it was Cavendish.

In his post race interview with Matt Rendell, Cav was challenging Carlton to come down so he could give him a couple of slaps. It was in good humour, but I'm not sure what it was about.
Twitter: @RichN95

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Fri Feb 08, 2013 23:09 pm

RichN95 wrote:In his post race interview with Matt Rendell, Cav was challenging Carlton to come down so he could give him a couple of slaps. It was in good humour, but I'm not sure what it was about.

Maybe he's just got one of those faces?

Macaloon

Postby Macaloon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 23:21 pm

Carlton's problem was that he didn't notice that it was 4km to go when the first train started to peel every 200m, then the next train... Given that, he's forgiven for wondering where the farking line is. He might also ask the organisers of a desert race why the leader's jersey is the colour of sand. Glorious recovery on the line I thought.

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Fri Feb 08, 2013 23:23 pm

In fairness to Carlton, I was watching the Youtube link and I was especially looking out for Cav given how much you'd all been going on about how mega cool it was, and I was really struggling to find him!

Macaloon, you make an excellent point vis a vis jersey pallete selection!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

RonB

Postby RonB » Fri Feb 08, 2013 23:36 pm

Added to that he does have the Robbie McEwen(tm) cloak of invisibility, especially now he is released from the "curse" of the rainbow jersey.
"My Man" team for 2016: Robert Gesink, Chris Froome, Tom Dumoulin, Tiesj Benoot, Wout Poels, Merhawi Kudus, Julian Alaphilippe, Geraint Thomas, Lil Pete

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 23:39 pm

RonB wrote:Added to that he does have the Robbie McEwen tm cloak of invisibility, especially now he is released from the "curse" of the rainbow jersey.

The 'curse' of the rainbow jersey these days is people on the internet calling you fat in February.
Twitter: @RichN95

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Fri Feb 08, 2013 23:51 pm

ddraver wrote:...I was especially looking out for Cav given how much you'd all been going on about how mega cool it was, and I was really struggling to find him!

Which is a big part of what made it so cool. Obviously, not a Twitter sort of cool - that would be preposterous: just a portly little geezer from the IOM shuffling about - doing-his-thing sort of cool...

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Fri Feb 08, 2013 23:56 pm

Yeah, I was super dooper Imprezd!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Sat Feb 09, 2013 00:00 am

ddraver wrote:Yeah, I was super dooper Imprezd!

Like, Cringeworlz!

Macaloon

Postby Macaloon » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Menchov's Stablisers, have you sent your masterpiece to @markcavendish? Pretty sure he'd love it.

Pross

Postby Pross » Sat Feb 09, 2013 14:42 pm

RichN95 wrote:
OCDuPalais wrote:The last few K of any hectic sprint finish is where the good commentators separate themselves from The Duffers...

In his post race interview with Matt Rendell, Cav was challenging Carlton to come down so he could give him a couple of slaps. It was in good humour, but I'm not sure what it was about.

Have you never listened to a Kirby commentary? He has that effect on me too!

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Feb 09, 2013 14:51 pm

Macaloon wrote:Carlton's problem was that he didn't notice that it was 4km to go when the first train started to peel every 200m, then the next train...
He is in the Paris suburb of Issy and he can't see anymore than you.
Maybe he thought he was still doing Motor bikes or Curling.
Like Harmon, he is very good in the highlights programs with a script.

Macaloon

Postby Macaloon » Sat Feb 09, 2013 15:09 pm

deejay wrote:He is in the Paris suburb of Issy and he can't see anymore than you.
Maybe he thought he was still doing Motor bikes or Curling.
Like Harmon, he is very good in the highlights programs with a script.

I'm certainly not having a pop. It was unusually chaotic, and Cav did disappear from an already obscure position camouflaged in his sandy jumper.

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 13:31 pm

I've just realised from seeing the photo below that Haussler was racing :shock:
IMO there is more to his total lack of results that motivation and personal issues.

Contador is the Greatest

PBo

Postby PBo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 14:40 pm

Re Haussler, FF, I always wonder what might have happened to his career if Cav hadn't picked his pocket at MSR!

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 14:53 pm

PBo wrote:Re Haussler, FF, I always wonder what might have happened to his career if Cav hadn't picked his pocket at MSR!

Yeah I've heard a few people say this. Not so sure to be honest. If it affects him so much mentally then I guess his metal state is too weak to be a top pro.
Contador is the Greatest

Pross

Postby Pross » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:48 am

frenchfighter wrote:I've just realised from seeing the photo below that Haussler was racing :shock:
IMO there is more to his total lack of results that motivation and personal issues.

He did get a mention in the stage 1 results when he was 9th I believe but he certainly hasn't achieved what people would have expected in the past few seasons for whatever reason.

Return to “Pro Race”