Bring back national teams for Le Tour?

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
kleinstroker

Bring back national teams for Le Tour?

Postby kleinstroker » Wed Feb 06, 2013 20:56 pm

Not seen this posted as yet..

what does everyone think?

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/02/ ... nce_274099
My Men 2016: Julian Alaphilippe, Romain Bardet, Mikael Cherel, Tom Dumoulin, Tony Gallopin, Mikel Landa, Ritchie Porte, Zdenek Stybar, Alejandro Valverde

RichN95

Re: Bring back national teams for Le Tour?

Postby RichN95 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 20:58 pm

It's about as likely as the return of sending people to Australia for stealing a pig.

(Who's going to pay the riders?)
Twitter: @RichN95

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 21:00 pm

No idea how GB or Aus would cobble together a squad...

Is this a cunning plan by the French to try to win the Tour?

Salsiccia1

Postby Salsiccia1 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 21:16 pm

No.

It's bad enough sponsors being driven away in droves, without closing their biggest shop window.
Living the dream (provided your dream is spending 45 hours a week in flourescent-lit misery)

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 22:34 pm

seriously, in an environment right now where crazy ideas are flourishing this is the most batshlt of them all

Turfle

Postby Turfle » Wed Feb 06, 2013 23:11 pm

As much as it is a godawful idea, it would still be great to see how it would go.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 23:15 pm

Turfle wrote:As much as it is a godawful idea, it would still be great to see how it would go.

STOP. THAT. NOW.

nathancom

Postby nathancom » Wed Feb 06, 2013 23:55 pm

No thanks, personally I find nationalistic things irritating. I hope I wasn't the only one who found the constant "Team GB this", "Team GB that" in the Olympics a bit nauseating.

I would like it if teams had a bit more identity than they do now, a bit like in F1. But I guess this is how the structure of pro-cycling has developed and it isn't likely to change.

kleinstroker

Postby kleinstroker » Thu Feb 07, 2013 08:08 am

Turfle wrote:As much as it is a godawful idea, it would still be great to see how it would go.

It would be interesting to see what happens... agree!
My Men 2016: Julian Alaphilippe, Romain Bardet, Mikael Cherel, Tom Dumoulin, Tony Gallopin, Mikel Landa, Ritchie Porte, Zdenek Stybar, Alejandro Valverde

disgruntledgoat

Postby disgruntledgoat » Thu Feb 07, 2013 08:52 am

I hope I wasn't the only one who found the constant "Team GB this", "Team GB that" in the Olympics a bit nauseating.

Hope is an odd choice of word there.
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 09:01 am

nathancom wrote:No thanks, personally I find nationalistic things irritating. I hope I wasn't the only one who found the constant "Team GB this", "Team GB that" in the Olympics a bit nauseating.

I would like it if teams had a bit more identity than they do now, a bit like in F1. But I guess this is how the structure of pro-cycling has developed and it isn't likely to change.

Bizarre comment. That's the foundation of the Olympics - built around national teams. Same as Worlds.

Turfle

Postby Turfle » Thu Feb 07, 2013 13:13 pm

Come on, let's do it. Just for one edition. Then we'll switch right back.

mr_poll

Postby mr_poll » Thu Feb 07, 2013 13:59 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:
nathancom wrote:No thanks, personally I find nationalistic things irritating. I hope I wasn't the only one who found the constant "Team GB this", "Team GB that" in the Olympics a bit nauseating.

Bizarre comment. That's the foundation of the Olympics - built around national teams. Same as Worlds.

Imagine it the other way around - Team MacDonalds vs Team Coke vs Team Samsung - yikes!

Turfle

Postby Turfle » Thu Feb 07, 2013 14:16 pm

We shouldn't, imo, encourage it to be more so, but cycling already is a very nationalistic sport, whether people like to admit it or not. Some get in a strop with teams like Sky and Orica, then fantasise about Colombia Coldeportes, and then get in a strop when Euskaltel open their doors to non-Basques.

inseine

Postby inseine » Thu Feb 07, 2013 17:01 pm

[quotebut cycling already is a very nationalistic sport][/quote]

I don't feel like that at all, especially compared to other sports. A third of all Tours were run with national teams and i'm sure it would attract lots more casual cycling viewers, but it's true I can't see it being workable these days.

nathancom

Postby nathancom » Thu Feb 07, 2013 19:48 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:

It isn't, and doesn't have to be. I thought it was about celebrating individuals achieving great feats through personal sacrifice, perseverance and talent. I couldn't care less which country someone is born in or chooses to compete for especially since most Olympic events aren't team sports anyway.

It is just like news reports where they say 'British man dies' with the subline '1000 people die in horrific accident'. The nationalistic emphasis drowns out the true story that is going on. Anyway if it is bizarre not to be a flag waving Brit then whatever...

disgruntledgoat wrote:
I hope I wasn't the only one who found the constant "Team GB this", "Team GB that" in the Olympics a bit nauseating.

Hope is an odd choice of word there.

Eh?

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 19:59 pm

nathancom wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:

It isn't, and doesn't have to be. I thought it was about celebrating individuals achieving great feats through personal sacrifice, perseverance and talent. I couldn't care less which country someone is born in or chooses to compete for especially since most Olympic events aren't team sports anyway.

It is just like news reports where they say 'British man dies' with the subline '1000 people die in horrific accident'. The nationalistic emphasis drowns out the true story that is going on. Anyway if it is bizarre not to be a flag waving Brit then whatever...

But we tend to be more interested the closer things are to us rather than due to their relative importance. So Mandy from accounts having an affair or a tree getting blown over in the park takes a higher priority in our minds than 100 people dying in a fire in Brazil.

It's just a question of degrees of distance.
Twitter: @RichN95

nathancom

Postby nathancom » Thu Feb 07, 2013 20:10 pm

Sure and the shared language and culture makes it easier to identify with individuals from your own country. I don't disagree that it is natural, but nor do I think it always healthy to become too insular as a nation by a myopic concentration on what is homegrown.

I broadly like the way cycling teams are set up, I like the international composition of Premier League teams and am glad that F1 didn't turn into an England vs Germany deal with Maclaren vs Mercedes (admittedly because the Mercedes/Schumacher both sucked).

This is all quite some way off topic so apologies...

Yellow Peril

Postby Yellow Peril » Fri Feb 08, 2013 07:08 am

I think it's a rubbish idea. Some nations produce a quantity of quality riders who just wouldn't make the cut due to the strength in depth of their country, a bit like being the 5th best kenyan 10,000 m runner. as a result the opverall quality of riders would be lower.

I know let's have a one day race once a year for National squads and call it the ...er...World Champs

Return to “Pro Race”